Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one week out

Kailua
Explorer
Explorer
Aloha All,
My wife and I are one week from our first trip. Northern Colorado to Santa Fe. A bit longer trip than we wanted but my fault due to poor planning as we are trying to keep to no more than 350 miles per day.
I have packed and labled things with military efficiency, tested everything a few times, and we stayed in it in the driveway (under some great advice, thanks Matt). We are comfortable with the size of the rig and the smaller space. We practiced driving and parking. Got maps, jetpacks, cameras, passports, and computers. We are ready.
We have a 26FT Freedom Elite, our first rig.
I want to ask is there anything else needed to do for first trip? We are to become nomads-going between our children's houses (Texas, Wyoming). What is a good way to keep track of things? A check list of sorts. We want to keep a photo journal with notes. Any suggestions? I don't want to take a picture of a historical waterever and just write "Here stands...." 23 years of military service has dulled my imagination.
Any ideas or suggestions would greatly appreciated.
Mahalo,
K
11 REPLIES 11

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to learn is to do it! My dear wife always packs like we are going to Death Valley when we are really going to a town of 15,000. I think once you do a trip or two you will find your balance and be more comfortable with the whole situation.

Like Gizmos Mom and others, I make a check list and I start putting stuff I want to be sure and not forget in a big cardboard box in the garage. Before starting our trip and every morning when we have spent the night and are taking off again, I treat our rig like it was an airplane. I do a walk around visual inspection of all compartments, mirrors, tires, etc., making sure everything is disconnected and stored. Once you do it a time or two it takes less than two minutes, including climbing up the rear ladder and doing a visual on the roof. If the antenna is up, you will spot it for sure. Like others have said, it is a good idea to do something to make sure you don't start out with the steps out (most retract automatically when the engine starts), the antenna is up, a hose is still connected, etc. ALSO, I use a checklist. ALSO, I use a stickit note over the speedometer to remind me of anything I think of at some point I might forget to do.

After a few trips, all this becomes pretty routine and automatic. The most important part is this: remember this is a hobby, not a job and we are all traveling for fun.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
If your TV antenna cranks up hang your ignition keys on the crank to make sure your crank it down. And make up a bottle of #2 spray
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I see you are a good Sam club member from your logo but do you have road side assistance? That and a cretit card is all you need.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Kailua
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the advice. Many great ideas.
k

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure that you have prescription meds enough to last for the duration of trip. Take along chargers for cell phones, cameras and other gizmos. Take glasses and any over the counter drug store stuff/personal items that may be hard to find. A good first aid kit and comprehensive tool kit with adhesives, duct tape, electrical, tape, iron wire ,screws and nuts, miniature screw drivers and a digital multi-meter. Keep the tool kit in the RV. If you don't have Tire Man or Borg tire valves installed, get them. Don't use screw-on extenders. A large skillet is handy for cooking on provided fire place.
Bug spray, paper plates and bowls, a water pail, and small funnels. Don't over pack clothes. Oh! Bring rain ponchos and umbrellas, charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid, small take-apart BBQ. Have a good GPS unit and know how to use it for planning for off ramps and merges, finding services, etc. Some GPS are RV'er oriented.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I packed as if civilization would cease to exist and realized most items are available at the next exit. Meds, cash, cameras, check. Food plates drinks, always available. relax....

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
I keep a list of items that we keep in the RV and I go through it before a trip (paper plates, TP, towels, utensils, trash bags, etc.) to see what needs to be replaced.

I add those items to my shopping list.

I have another long list of items to pack from the house (cameras, clothing, coats, dog food, people food, etc.). I use that running list for about a week before we leave and in the morning of the trip. "Purse" is on that list because at the start of one trip I forgot it and we had to drive back home which was 40 miles away. Husband was not happy. I cross off the items that are packed and circle the important ones.
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Kailua,

It is great to hear you are settled into the coach. I sure do hope it works as well for you.

Something you might think to carry even though you won't need it if you have web access on the road, that is a Walmart Road Atlas. It is half the price of any other Rand-McNally atlas and it list all the Walmart locations. These are good for both an easy EOD stop and a quick reprovision stop.

There is also advice I have (based on hard learned lessons) for all users of digital cameras. Charge the batteries when ever you can and always check the "frames remaining" when you pick the camera up for the day. It is still a good plan to always carry spare battery and memory in your kit. Mary missed a picture she wanted a couple of weeks ago because she ran out of "film".

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
My list evolves as I travel. We realized we needed something and went to Walmart and picked it up. Eventually I've gotten to the point where I need to go through and lighten the load.

My best advice would be to make a list of things you HAVE to have and are difficult to get on the road, like prescription meds. Make sure you have those things and take a little extra cash for the other stuff.

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
I did what you have done in the way of preparation and was glad for it because my first big trip had no issues. One thing I learned to do is make a "Let's Roll" list which is a checklist of things to do before you leave an overnight stay. Awning closed, TV antenna down, vents closed (if you don't have covers), entry step raised, entry handles stowed, exterior compartments locked etc. After a while this evolved to other methods of reminders for the items I was most prone to forget - hair clip on the steering wheel if I raised the TV antenna.
Bon voyage!
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My advice: Relax. You can't prepare for everything. The unknown is part of the adventure. Get on down the road and enjoy it all.

Have a great trip.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro