cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside AC outlet

RoaminRichards
Explorer
Explorer
My outside ac outlet does not work. The GFCI has tripped but will not reset. Have not been able to locate problem.
4 REPLIES 4

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First: If the GFCI is tripped the outside outlet WILL NOT WORK.. that is called working as designed.

However you said it would not reset.. There are three reasons that can happen.
1: No power to GFCI (Breaker tripped, Broken wire or connection)
In this case it absolutly will not reset.

2: Ground fault remains: In this case it will reset but immed trips.. IF you are not sure listen carefully as you reset it a few times,, then turn off the circuit breaker feeding it and listen again. .Different sound then option 2.

This problem has two causes.. One is water inside the outside outlet box,, OR a junction box on the GFCI chain.. But usually the outside outlet

The other is something plugged in with a ground fault. UNPLUG EVERYTHING.

Third cause is a bad GFCI, they do go bad.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Remove the GFCI receptacle from the wall. Disconnect the wires on the load side. See if GFCI resets. If it does, there is issues in the receptacles fed by the GFCI. Normally corrosion.
If it doesn't you have a bad GFCI receptacle. Go to locate hardware store and pick up a good quality replacement.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the newer GFCI receptacles have a built-in safety feature that will not allow them to be reset if the GFI protection within the receptacle has failed. When in doubt...change the GFCI out.
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
GFI outlets do go bad and replacement is the only fix. If you have a meter and feel comfortable around 120 volts, just pull the outlet out and check to see if it has input power.