cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oven space for dishwasher

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone removed their oven and replaced it with a dishwasher? While I think the space is the right amount, I'd then need to install a stand alone range on top of the dishwasher. Think it is doable?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
17 REPLIES 17

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
No dishwasher, no oven...do not need and would not use either enough to lose all that great storage space.
2014 American Eagle

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
bhivetravels wrote:
Has anyone removed their oven and replaced it with a dishwasher? While I think the space is the right amount, I'd then need to install a stand alone range on top of the dishwasher. Think it is doable?

Did not do it, but I ordered the Coach with the Dishwasher - seems simple to me, can bake in the Convection Micro and use it very seldom - but we have dishes after every meal so for me the Dishwasher first and because the oven is too small to roast a full sized turkey it really is not much good to me.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

sportech
Explorer
Explorer
This was the first change to my coach after purchase. I bought a stainless steel Kitchen Aid drawer dishwasher on e....y along with a stainless steel cook top (Amana), same brand as the oven. Ended up selling the old oven at the same site for a net cost of $300. As a previous poster noted, it is very quiet. Water and sewer line runs right behind the DW and there was a power outlet under the sink that I tapped into. The hardest part was cutting the cabinet to fit the dishwasher. I did it while in a storage lot not near my well equipped shop. I have even used it while in a Wal...t parking lot! I was also able to create additional storage below the dw. Fits all the pots and pans.

[img]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/Sportech2/media/1%20Amana%20Range%20in%202007%2040E.jpg.html?filters[user]=119849535&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0[/img] Original oven
[img]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/Sportech2/media/Dishwasher%20and%20Cooktop%20Final.jpg.html?filters[user]=119849535&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=2[/img] Dishwasher and stove top
[img]http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/Sportech2/media/8%20Pots%20and%20Pans%20Drawer.jpg.html?filters[user]=119849535&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1[/img] Storage drawer below dishwasher

Dave
07 Revolution 40E

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
To start, our new coach came with a dishwasher....it was fun to show off, but now we love it and wouldn't be without one.

"bhivetravels".....I would remove the oven, install the dishwasher, and then install a True Induction cooktop. My coach came with a very high end Princess 2 burner cooktop. It was the only thing in my coach that used propane. I removed it and covered the spot with the inset mounted induction unit.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife would leave me if we had to use paper plates. We have fine china and sterling silver onboard. The wine glasses are GLASS. My Manhattan glasses are GlASS (keep in the freezer). We LIVE HERE and we want all the comforts of home. I do the dishes from time to time but I wish Janet did not have to. IF WE HAD THE ROOM we would absolutely have a dish washer.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

prstlk
Explorer
Explorer
Bio degradable paper plates, bowls. Huge difference in washing.
2007 Keystone Challenger 5th wheel, Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Diesel, Short Bed, 2 dogs and the cat and rolling down the road full time since May 2014

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I have four dish washers. One is in college. Never seen this as an option anywhere. My youngest is six. Ok I'll stop now. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I had an oven I would much prefer a dishwasher. The Fisher/Paykel drawer unit uses about 2 gallons per cycle.
I believe the OP understands he would not be able to remove the oven only as he mentions he would need to add a cooktop. It sounds like and easy change out if the dimensions work out. The OP can find all the cut off requirements on line by download the various installation manuals for the equipment he is interested in. Extending the countertop to cover the new opening would be easy and adding a drain for the new washer should not be difficult either.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't actually buy our coach because it had a dishwasher instead of an oven, but, it wasn't an issue for us. We've never used the LP ovens in our previous RVs... We do just fine using the convection microwave and the counter top Breville toaster oven. We initially thought we wouldn't use the dishwasher, just the two of us and it isn't a big deal to handwash (her) and dry (me) the few dishes that we use. However, we like stir-fry and that generates a lot of dishes; load them up in the dishwasher and let it run. The new dishwashers are quite efficient (the unit we have uses as little as 2 gallons per cycle) and is no more an energy hog than the washer/dryer that we've come to appreciate or any of the other "electric gizmos" that proliferate in most newer rigs (we've got 4 televisions...why?) So, yes, for the most part we hand wash and dry, but, for those times when we are heavy on dishes or entertaining and don't want to take away from the visit by washing in front of our guests, or having a pile of dirty dishes sitting there until they leave, we can throw everything into the dishwasher and go back to "visiting". The dishwasher is incredibly quiet; most times we can't even tell it is running. Another plus to not having the LP oven, we have an induction cooktop in place of the LP burners. The induction cooktop cooks quicker and doesn't heat up the interior of the coach (induction only heats what is in the pot/pan; no radiant heat). The benefits of induction cooktops is another thread...we have one in the sticks and bricks and we love the one in our coach and having one in any future coaches will be a "must".

Now that we've had one (a dishwasher in lieu of an LP oven), we'll always have one. If we buy a new coach that has an LP oven with associated LP burners, part of the "buying deal" will be to have it/them removed and a dishwasher and induction cooktop installed in place of it/them. There are those that swear by their LP ovens and how wonderful they cook, but, we've been using convection ovens for so many years, there isn't anything that we can't cook in them from cakes to turkeys and everything in between and cook them faster. Add in the Breville toaster oven and we haven't run into anything we can't handle.

That's just us though...lots of different opinions out there, but, I'm seeing more and more of the dishwashers and induction cook tops showing up, not only in high end rigs, but, more economical coaches and 5vers. Looked at a bumper pull the other day and it was also outfitted with the big convection/microwave, induction cooktop and a dishwasher. If it were us, we'd make the conversion without a second thought. Usually the oven is right next to the sink, plumbing hookups can be done with "T" adapters spliced in. Power may be more of an issue, but, you may find that the microwave power line is accessible.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you could fit a countertop dishwasher in its place pretty easily. They generally only use about 3 gallons per washing. Seems like a good idea. Post pictures if you do it.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it should be doable.

You would of course need to figure out routing of water supply and drain lines, and provide for an electrical connection. It might also be worth investigating what is underneath the space where the oven currently is; on my motorhome, that's the main electrical panel, which it would probably be best to avoid getting wet, so some sort of shield or diverter in case of overflow would (in my case, at least) be a good idea.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you'll be able to just remove the oven. It is made as a unit with the cooktop.

When you are out for several months at a time dishes, silverware and pans do get greasy. Year before last I utilized the cabinet below the cooktop by removing the doors and shelf on our 2007 HR Endeavor. I tapped into the microwave circuit for 110V thinking I wouldn't every use the microwave and dishwasher at the same time. Water hookup was simple. The drain line was a bear trying to find a place for tap in. I finally snaked in around to a grey water clean out under the sink. Install required some wood working but not a lot.

It was really nice to have clean dishes, etc.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I seem to remember http://www.jackdanmayer.com/ these folks did what your are wanting to do with one of their 5th wheels. You'll need to go back through their archives to locate a post about adding a dishwater or send them a message.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm interested in the responses. Washing dishes by hand while not terribly cumbersome, takes counter space especially if you don't have a dual sink. Then they sit there taking up precious counter space while they dry - usually in time for the next meal to dirty more dishes. I have very little counter space and it's easily filled up with meal prep or dishes, not enough room for both. There are reasons why every S&B home has a dishwasher. It's a nice place to wash and dry dishes leaving counter space for other things. I would much rather have a dishwasher than an oven. We've used our oven a total of 3 times in 3 years. I wash dishes several times a day.
2013 ACE 29.2