cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

P30 caliper removal

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to change front pads. I have ran into a caliper I never worked on. The manual I have says its a Bendix. Their is no slide pins or caliper bolts. The only thing on removal I was able to find was that there is a key support that you tap out that has a spring and rattle clip. Any help would be appreciated.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
12 REPLIES 12

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
supra24valve wrote:
Do not let it intimidate you. This is the easiest pad change out there. Better than any set up I have found. After you do it. You will see it is easy. The hard part is getting the wheel or wheels off!

You are right. I just changed the pads and repacked the inner and outer wheel bearings yesterday. I like this setup.
2015 Wrangler JKU

supra24valve
Explorer
Explorer
Do not let it intimidate you. This is the easiest pad change out there. Better than any set up I have found. After you do it. You will see it is easy. The hard part is getting the wheel or wheels off!

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Those can be a bear to put back together unless you center the caliper just right. Don't fight it. Look at the caliper closely and you'll see where it needs to sit. Install the spring over the wedge so that the spring hangs over both edges of the wedge. Insert them until they are stuck/seated in the caliper and then tap them in with a hammer/drift. Use lube on the parts and then reinstall the hex head set screw.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I use a lot of brake lube on the spring and wedge.
Yes, you will probably need a good wire brush or wire wheel on drill motor to clean of the rust and what ever.
Make sure the outer pads fit tight on the caliper. May need to adjust with hammer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mike mine is just like Bud described. I sprayed mine with PB blaster and let it soak for awhile before I tapped it out with a drift pin. There was a lot of rust so I used a wire wheel to remove it before adding grease and reassembling. The pads were still good I just wanted to make sure the slide was not sticking.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Mike:
Did you look for the set screw? Mine is an Allen head.

Yea thanks Bud. I was looking at is this morning just wasn't to sure about how it came apart until I did a little research. I will tackle it tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
2015 Wrangler JKU

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mike:
Did you look for the set screw? Mine is an Allen head.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
mike brez wrote:
352 wrote:
I think you should take a better look.

:h you don't believe me?

Yes I do . I just think you should take a better look.

Ok thanks but what am I looking for
2015 Wrangler JKU

Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
352 wrote:

Yes I do . I just think you should take a better look.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:

2015 Wrangler JKU

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look on lower portion of caliper.
There should be a set screw that inhibits the key from moving.
Unscrew the set screw until it clears the u-shaped wedge. Then tap out wedge. Use a punch or drift so as to not damage the wedge.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Explorer
Explorer
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.