cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

P32 MH Engine Dying Abruptly

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1995 Georgie Boy MH on a P32 chassis with 454 eng with TBI. MH only has 37,000 miles and spent the last several months doing extensive maintenance; coil springs, airbags, ball joints, fuel filter, changed/flushed ALL fluids, check spark plugs, etc, etc. Recently took it on maiden voyage that was 360 mile round trip. On the way out and on the way back, the MH all of a sudden died, usually on the highway driving at 60mph. I would shift into neutral and it would fire right back up. This happened about 8 times total; 5 times on the highway, 2 times on surface streets (maybe 35mph) and the last time at almost a dead standstill pulling into the driveway. Everytime it died, it happened instantly with no hesitation or intermittent cutout. Environmental conditions were benign with 75-80 degree temps, no rain, water, etc. There did not seem to be any coorelation to it dying; rough roads,hard braking, hard acceleration, it just inexplicably dies. I am at a loss in terms of how to troubleshoot such an intermittent problem. I suspect it is ignition related, ECM, coil, etc, something having to do with spark plugs not firing? Any suggestions on how to move forward. There appears to be connector on driver side for the computer, but it is an older style connect that is not compatible with device I have. Does anyone know if I just need to get an adapter, or do the older computers required completely different device?
Thanks,
Greg
54 REPLIES 54

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Your ignition switch should look like this.
Ignition switch
It should have the control rod coming down column to operate it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
Brian in Michigan wrote:
Take a look at the back of the ignition switch. Look for any melting of plastic. Mine was so bad I'm surprised it didn't start a fire. My engine died a couple of times. The tip off was the bezel around the key would get warm after awhile. This is what mine looked like.
Switch
Edit, by the way mine will still run without the tank fuel pump. It just won't have the cojones for hills or acceleration.

WOW! That looked really bad. Is that connector located inside the steering column near the ingnition switch on the sterring column?

I noticed on my MH there is a "plunger-like" switch (at the bottom of steering column and readily accessible) that is controlled by a cable connected to the ignition switch - when I turn the ignition swithc the cable/plunger switch moves. But it must not be related to the ignition as there are only 2 wires and it will still start with it disconnected. This switch gets extremely hot (200 deg), but the wires feeding it (~18-20 AWG) do not get hot? Anyway, thanks for the information.
Greg

Stuck_in_first
Explorer
Explorer
The several times I have run into this on my rig and others it was a wiring harness running near an exhaust manifold. The Mfg like to run wires near them. When they heat up they move like a thermostat spring and short out then cool and move away. One repair shop dident put back a small bracket letting the wires droop just enough to touch the manifold. Ran a wire from batt into cab thru a switch then to pos side of coil. When engine died turned switch on and engine refired. Found when I tightened wires on starter only used one hand and the wire twisted enough be affected by the manifold heat. Hope this helps.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the back of the ignition switch. Look for any melting of plastic. Mine was so bad I'm surprised it didn't start a fire. My engine died a couple of times. The tip off was the bezel around the key would get warm after awhile. This is what mine looked like.
Switch
Edit, by the way mine will still run without the tank fuel pump. It just won't have the cojones for hills or acceleration.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace all those parts, you will never know. Do one at a time, with the most likely first.
IRV2

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
I just purcahsed fuel pump relay, Oil Pressure Sensor, Control Module and Ignition Coil. Purchased on-line as I was able to get ACDELCO ignition parts cheaper than aftermarket components. Should be able to take a long test drive this weekend and see what happens. Appreciate all the great feedback and links to similar problems. The way my MH instantly dies and instantly starts right back up makes me think OP sensor or control module, but only time will tell. I just hope the mystery does not continue.............

Greg
Greg

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I do not think this is a valid test. One of the wires, "red" goes to the fuel pump prime connector through a normally closed contact.
Have you inspected the oil pressure senor for oil leak? Located in oil galley, left side of engine under the power steering pump.
Does your oil pressure gauge seem to be accurate?

No, but I will be sure to check that out, as it is very easy. THanks,
Greg
Greg

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not think this is a valid test. One of the wires, "red" goes to the fuel pump prime connector through a normally closed contact.
Have you inspected the oil pressure senor for oil leak? Located in oil galley, left side of engine under the power steering pump.
Does your oil pressure gauge seem to be accurate?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The fuel pump relay only operates for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned on. This pressurizes the fuel system. After that the fuel pump circuit goes through the oil pressure gauge(at least on mine). My book shows the same for 1994-95

I performed a quick test yesterday while idling in the driveway and removed the fuel pump relay to determine if it would die immediately and it did? Not sure if that is a valid test and how it related to your MH?

Greg
Greg

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with my 454 shutting down.

Click here to read the post.

Hope this helps.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The fuel pump relay only operates for a few seconds when the ignition switch is turned on. This pressurizes the fuel system. After that the fuel pump circuit goes through the oil pressure gauge(at least on mine). My book shows the same for 1994-95

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Greg....

Thanks for the update and please continue to keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck to you.

Bill

1969SSCamaro
Explorer
Explorer
While not the most cost effective approach, I may replace the ignition coil, control module and fuel pump relay at the same time. I don't have the patience to replace one item at a time and drive 50-100 miles waiting for it to die, not to mention the fuel expense. Anything else you guys can think of to replace that is not ridiculously expensive.

GJAC,
I did not notice if the dash lights went out or not; sure wish I had now. Next time I test drive I need to have a plan of things to check when it dies, but that sometimes depends on traffic conditions as I gotta be safe. I'll probably take the test drive on some long hills to get the engine temp up higher.

Thanks guys!
Greg
Greg

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You may think about replacing the distributor rather then rebuild existing one if you go thinking problem is in it.
Distibutor

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow