cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Paint Checking/Spider Web Cracks

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
OK - I've gone on the WWW and reading all that is out there on the tiny cracks that occur in the dark paint of many Motor Homes.

My Question is - Has anyone found a Wax/Polymer, that does not turn white so you see the little cracks in the light?

I've cleaned - buffed - played with - this a lot and if I could just find a way to make it shinny with out the cracks getting "white" i honestly think I might not really notice them.

I mean seriously these things are what I'll call 2' er's - step back to 4 feet you never see them but step up close and search they are everywhere.

I'm sure someone on the forum has a secret cure.

TIA,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach
27 REPLIES 27

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful result and I'm sure you love looking at it along with others. Hope it lasts for quite a while so you can rest up before going at it again!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
btilfan wrote:
I cleaned with Mr. clean eraser then used zep floor wax. cracks disappeared.

Zep over paint?

Any subsequent problems?

sorry, Mine was gel coat
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great. I'm anal about my vechiles also.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
OK - I've gone on the WWW and reading all that is out there on the tiny cracks that occur in the dark paint of many Motor Homes.

My Question is - Has anyone found a Wax/Polymer, that does not turn white so you see the little cracks in the light?

I've cleaned - buffed - played with - this a lot and if I could just find a way to make it shinny with out the cracks getting "white" i honestly think I might not really notice them.

I mean seriously these things are what I'll call 2' er's - step back to 4 feet you never see them but step up close and search they are everywhere.

I'm sure someone on the forum has a secret cure.

TIA,

Cure for me was simple (Not really) First Meguiars Ultimate Compound Because I had used Wax based products the wax stuck in the paint cracks and was highly visible - say 4-8 feet

The Issue;

This was driving me Nuts - so after getting suggestions from the forum what I notice was the common theme was non waxed based products. So I put a little Compound on the Cyclo polisher, removing the wax and slightly leveling the paint, and got this,

The Side By Side;

Pretty good and actually looked great at 2 feet. Biggest issue is these are BIG AREAs to work on and to do the entire Coach will likely take a MONTH.

End Result;

Looks almost NEW - the biggest issue is will I SURVIVE. In 6+ hours I was able to do about 1/2 of one side. Cleaned - Compounded - Nu Finished and then wiped off with Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer (I have ordered probably Three gallons of the others that were recommended, but they have not been delivered yet)

So the big Question Is - Am I the ONLY ONE who is this crazy when it comes to how my Coach Looks?????????

Thanks to all who were able to give me suggestions - I now have an Arsenal of product that I can at least polish the furniture with.

This might help others who, in doing the spring cleaning discovered that their Coach needed a little (LOT) extra care (WORK).

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Not going to let this die - BUT - here in the Mid Atlantis it has rained every day for the last two weeks - might get a break this weekend and as soon as I try some of these out I'll report back.

Thanks to all that gave advice on a possible cure/cover up.

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
btilfan wrote:

Zep over paint?

Any subsequent problems?
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Not knowing the current shape of your paint, and wax, I'll suggest getting a good baseline:

1) Wash with Dawn, as the alkaline will remove both dirt, grease and old wax build up.

2) I you have fine lines (Not micro checking, but actually small fine scratches from say brushes or wiping of a dirty paint in such away that lightly scratches the gel coat.) Do a fine cut buffing with a Porter Cable like orbital buffer. (IMO, this is a skill set, and paying a few bucks to have a detailing pro (not your local car wash) is worth it.)

3) One more wash with Dawn, to remove any remaining residue from the buffing.

4) Then you have a few choices. I personally like the Nano based protectants. Have had good results with both Eagle One and Maquiers based Nano finishes. I've also had good results with Zaino's ZCS (Not a nano, but it is a great protective film with outstanding UV protection. And it is the UV in combination with high heats, that are cause the bad glass to continue outgassing more on the dark paints (Higher heat build up.) then the lighter colors.)

Whats nice about any of these three, is it is a simple simple to put on. I joke that Zaino ZCS is 'Was on, no Wax off!'. Just apply and walk away.

These Nano based, and Zaino ZCS are not waxes, so no build up in the scratches or surface defects.

And as usual with questions about waxes or other cleaning surfaces - many, many opinions... So don't be afraid to do what I did. Get two or three of the higher recommended products, and then due different sections of your coach with them. This one time investment, allows you to see how easily the go on, off, and how well they hold up.

Best to you,
Smitty

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
Ice products by Turtle Wax are not supposed to leave any residue. Might try a small spot of that and see if it does the trick. Otherwise, Turtle Wax did make some colored waxes that, when dried, were the same color as the surface. That is what I used to use on an 01 Ambassador that started to develop the problem in the dark blue area. Hope this may help. Happy Trails bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
s N s wrote:
Busskipper, I'll let my solution out of the bag. First I researched a colored wax. They make it but it's expensive. So next (I know you'll think I'm nuts) I tried shoe polish. Yes it did hide it but you have to do such a small area at a time, because when the polish dries it is really hard to get off. So my last and best solution is Old English Furniture scratch cover for both dark and light wood. Call me nuts but this stuff worked for me. I purchased a shoe polish sponge applicator with the plastic handles and apply just a bit of the OE to the applicator. This stuff is just like a stain and very runny. Wear a pair of rubber gloves. I apply the OE to and area and let it set a bit. I then take a piece of paper towel and wipe it off. It may take two applications to darken the cracks if you really have a lot of them. Next I use a product called "Bullet Polish". It's similar to Mothers Showtime spray on detail spray but is much less expensive and in my regard a MUCH better product. Once I apply the BP and wipe it off and buff it, stand back and take a look it will put a smile on your face.

Sure the cracks are never gone but once you stand back they are colored in and not that noticeable. This for sure isn't a cure all but sure makes the coach look a lot better. If it weren't for the phone that I had pictures on I would post some pics. I showed the pictures to a lot of my friends and they couldn't believe the difference. I have a friend who has a body shop and showed him the pics. He asked who did I have paint it. I said no one and told him what I did. He had to go look for himself and his exact words "well I'll be damned". Give it a try. Just purchase one bottle at first and see what you think. The stuff is not expensive at all. Good Luck.

Now that's another vote for Furniture Polish - between Old English Furniture scratch cover and Pledge we should find something Good.

Is this the Bullett Polish?

If this is the solution then I'll older all and start over the weekend.

Glad to see I'm not the only one willing to TRY something "Out of the BOX"

Thanks,

Busskipper

Yes that's the Bullet Polish. I just order the BP-1 bottle and mix it with a gallon of Distilled Water. This stuff really works well. Has various uses, glass, wood etc. When you use it spray it sparingly and have two (2) micro fiber cloths. One to take it off the second to buff. Hope all works out, I know it's done a great job for me. Bullet Polish will have specials from time to time. I know on the BP-1 (buy 2 get 1 free). Check out there site they have some good products. Should mention I never bought that kit. On the left side of there page click on the second item. I've only ever ordered the 4oz. bottles and mixed my own. The other item I've used is the finish sealer on my car.
Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

btilfan
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Damon Astoria Pacifica
My next hobby.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
I would try Wash and Wax All. I know it will not leave any lighter spots where the checks are.

Good luck. I had to have my sidewalls replaced after it just kept getting worse. I went to lighter colors.

Not sure I'm in to this yet Looking to not break the bank.

But this is something I'll keep in mind.

Thanks,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
s N s wrote:
Busskipper, I'll let my solution out of the bag. First I researched a colored wax. They make it but it's expensive. So next (I know you'll think I'm nuts) I tried shoe polish. Yes it did hide it but you have to do such a small area at a time, because when the polish dries it is really hard to get off. So my last and best solution is Old English Furniture scratch cover for both dark and light wood. Call me nuts but this stuff worked for me. I purchased a shoe polish sponge applicator with the plastic handles and apply just a bit of the OE to the applicator. This stuff is just like a stain and very runny. Wear a pair of rubber gloves. I apply the OE to and area and let it set a bit. I then take a piece of paper towel and wipe it off. It may take two applications to darken the cracks if you really have a lot of them. Next I use a product called "Bullet Polish". It's similar to Mothers Showtime spray on detail spray but is much less expensive and in my regard a MUCH better product. Once I apply the BP and wipe it off and buff it, stand back and take a look it will put a smile on your face.

Sure the cracks are never gone but once you stand back they are colored in and not that noticeable. This for sure isn't a cure all but sure makes the coach look a lot better. If it weren't for the phone that I had pictures on I would post some pics. I showed the pictures to a lot of my friends and they couldn't believe the difference. I have a friend who has a body shop and showed him the pics. He asked who did I have paint it. I said no one and told him what I did. He had to go look for himself and his exact words "well I'll be damned". Give it a try. Just purchase one bottle at first and see what you think. The stuff is not expensive at all. Good Luck.

Now that's another vote for Furniture Polish - between Old English Furniture scratch cover and Pledge we should find something Good.

Is this the Bullett Polish?

If this is the solution then I'll older all and start over the weekend.

Glad to see I'm not the only one willing to TRY something "Out of the BOX"

Thanks,

Busskipper
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would try Wash and Wax All. I know it will not leave any lighter spots where the checks are.

Good luck. I had to have my sidewalls replaced after it just kept getting worse. I went to lighter colors.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

s_N_s
Explorer
Explorer

Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"