cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up our New to Us Class A on Friday

TugCE
Explorer
Explorer
After several months of looking we have purchased a 2004 DAMON DAYBREAK 3295 with the GM 8.1 Workhorse. I have to say that after having it up to over 70 mph (just to check out for any vibrations or strange noises) I was surprised with how quiet the engine was going down the road.

With this being our first Class A, I am sure I will be asking many questions. This is not our first RV, we currently have 37' Fifth Wheel TH.

First question is, what type of Tow Bar and Braking System do you use?

we have a 2008 Honda CRV that we are going to set up for towing as a Toad as it's 4 wheel down towing capable. We have owned this since new and it has just turned 50,000 mile so it will be with us for a while.
I am a Retired U.S. Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
05 Chevy 2500 4x4 D/A with Helper Springs and Air Ride Air Bags
(06 R-Vision RW3360 Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler) - Totaled by Irma 2017
97 FLTCI converted into a Roadsmith Trike by The Trike Shop of Daytona
11 REPLIES 11

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
congrats!!

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
TugCE wrote:
After several months of looking we have purchased a 2004 DAMON DAYBREAK 3295 with the GM 8.1 Workhorse. I have to say that after having it up to over 70 mph (just to check out for any vibrations or strange noises) I was surprised with how quiet the engine was going down the road.

With this being our first Class A, I am sure I will be asking many questions. This is not our first RV, we currently have 37' Fifth Wheel TH.

First question is, what type of Tow Bar and Braking System do you use?

we have a 2008 Honda CRV that we are going to set up for towing as a Toad as it's 4 wheel down towing capable. We have owned this since new and it has just turned 50,000 mile so it will be with us for a while.

Enjoy....
As for tow bar equipment, we use NSA's READYBRUTE/ELITE for simplicity and the best bang for the buck.
Not sure about what base plate or wiring is best for your Honda, but others with this toad, will most surely chime in.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Yankee_Clipper
Explorer
Explorer
Stop reading if you've heard this before, but I recommend you roll your new rig over the CAT scales on your way home. That $10 fee will tell you a lot about where you stand for putting all the assorted stuff in the storage bins. It was certainly an eye-opener for me.
Good luck with your new rig!
Yankee Clipper
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C on Ford F53 6.8l V10
2014 Honda CRV 4 down toad/Roadmaster Falcon2 with EvenBrake
TireMinder TPMS,Tiger, the Little Big Man minidachshund,
Rosey the minidachshund resident Princess-in-Chief

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
We used Blue Ox baseplate and tow bars for years. For braking, used SMI Silent Partner for 12 years, and it was still going strong when I sold it. Check out the SMI braking systems when you're shopping. Once installed, nothing to do but turn it on.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Tug, I have a Roadmaster Tow bar system that was recommended to me by my welding shop! It's 17 years old and still looks and preforms near new! I also tow a Honda CRV.

Fiverwheel
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 34' DP and pull an 08 CRV with a blue ox base plate. The mechanical brake system is from nightshift auto and the set up works very well.
Hope you enjoy your new toy!
2006 34' Monaco Cayman

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Awesome! See you out there. Get some pics for us! Love my yota but the bounder is much better on the highway!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ronmc
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our Workhorse for over 14 years(full time)and do not hear the fans as loud.The scan gauge shows it on at 202*and off at 210*. The thermostat should be left as is. I believe the Chevrolet engineers know better than me.
Ron
2002 Kountry Star
2007 Honda CRV
Used Brake Buddy

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
When the weather gets hot, don't be alarmed by an large increase in engine noise. The huge thermostatically controlled engine fans on those Workhorse chassis are notoriously loud and can make you think the transmission is doing something weird. I found switching to a 180 degree thermostat (from stock 195) delayed the fan start considerably. Since climbing a hill heats up the engine, having the engine start out at a slightly lower temperature can often mean the fan does not kick in before you reach the summit and once over the top you cool back down to the 180. The Workhorse chassis have such a big radiator that as long as the cooling system is clean and in proper condition, normal operating temperature is determined by the thermostat spec. unless the engine is working hard or the outside air is very hot. In theory, a higher temp stat would provide better mileage and less emissions but I really do not think that it is noticeable at all with a motorhome. BTW, the thermostat is a surprisingly small one compared to the 'average' thermostat.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. You're going to love the Class A. :C

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
I see you are from Leesburg. We live in Weeki Wachee. We had a CRV(2005) for three years and towed behind our Beaver 40'DP. Now we tow a 2012 SRX Cadillac 4 down. We have a roadmaster towbar and blue ox baseplates. we use a brake buddy for our supplemental braking system. It has worked fine for us for 5 years now. Congrats on the new to you coach. maybe we will meet one day during our travels. We stay at a lot of Fl. State Parks.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992