cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLUMBING PROBLEM - Winnebago ERA

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
OK ... here's the problem. When the valve for the hot water tank is open (not on bypass) I get plenty of HOT water. When I move the single lever tap handle down to COLD ... nothing. No HOT or COLD water.
When I put the valve on HW tank on bypass I get plenty of COLD water from the fresh water tank BUT the tap lever is on the HOT water position.

When I put the tap lever down to the COLD water position it literally does not pump any water ... so if I want HOT water I have to open the HW tank bypass. If I want COLD water, I have to close the bypass valve on the HW tank.

Is this an indication that the single lever kitchen tap is malfunctioning?? I don't have this issue with the bathroom taps that have separate HOT & COLD water taps or the outside shower that has HOT & COLD water taps.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Karsty (The Wandering Viking)

2012 Winnebago ERA
16 REPLIES 16

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
But a year ago you were so happy when dealer did the emergency fix to get you on the road for your vacation............now over a year later they messed it up :H

Old Biscuit ... I have NEVER been happy with this dealer from the day I bought this unit. Yes ... they were "gracious" enough to make the "emergency repair" ... only after I called the owner and chewed his ear out when the service department told me it would be 6-8 weeks before they could get me in.

As Davydd points out ... I had no idea that there was a problem till the following year. Being a first time RV owner at the time .... I wouldn't have known if something was working or not. I only realized it later this year that there was a problem when I realized I have to switch the hot water bypass valve back and forth to get either HOT or COLD water ... not both ...

It's been a HUGE learning curve for me ... but with the help of many good folks in this and other FORUMS and Facebook Groups I am slowly beginning to figure it all out ... one emergency at a time. 🙂

2012 Winnebago ERA

Davydd
Explorer
Explorer
Karsty didn't know they messed it up a year ago. I know how he feels. I had an emergency skylight leak repair done in Florida and was happy we could continue our journey. However, the real problem was not really fixed, the leak came back, and when I finally got on the roof to inspect what they had done, it was a grand mess. Eventually I fixed it myself at home.
Davydd
2021 Advanced RV 144 WB 2500 Class B
2015 Advanced RV Ocean One Class B

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
But a year ago you were so happy when dealer did the emergency fix to get you on the road for your vacation............now over a year later they messed it up :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
Karsty, glad you found the problem so fast. We also filter all our water from the water tap. We also bleach the water in our on board tank everytime we fill it. The under counter filter takes out the clorine and we only sanitize the entire system in the spring. cya soon!

Hey George ... As it turns out I got the system fixed today. Took $11.00 worth of new fittings. I saved the cost of a new faucet which is $106.00 from Litchinn Motors in Iowa.

I have removed the filter in mine completely. I saved all the parts and will go after the dealer for a new system since they are the ones that messed it up in the first place. But I don't drink the water or use the filter so not a HUGE issue for me. Just glad that I can get it winterized now ... before heading to Florida at the end of December.

I am learning one mechanical challenge at a time. 🙂 Looking forward to seeing you and Leslie soon. Stay warm this winter.

Karsty

2012 Winnebago ERA

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Karsty, glad you found the problem so fast. We also filter all our water from the water tap. We also bleach the water in our on board tank everytime we fill it. The under counter filter takes out the clorine and we only sanitize the entire system in the spring. cya soon!
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
So cold water to kitchen faucet had been bypassed due to leak on filter and you went without cold water from kitchen faucet during that vacation year ago and this whole summer and didn't notice not having cold water at kitchen faucet :H

No ... that is NOT correct. The cold water was coming out of the HOT water tap (single lever just had to move up to HOT position).

Since I seldom use hot water it really wasn't a huge concern at the time. Now that I am going to Florida for the winter I started to look into it more.

Thanks for your concern however.

2012 Winnebago ERA

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
So cold water to kitchen faucet had been bypassed due to leak on filter and you went without cold water from kitchen faucet during that vacation year ago and this whole summer and didn't notice not having cold water at kitchen faucet :H

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Good job. Keep the dealer in your phone list. They are very helpful folks and best prices too....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
I THINK I have discovered the problem. It has been a challenge for this non mechanical guy to figure this stuff out.

The other year I had to have an "emergency" water leak repair made. There was water leaking from a line coming from the water filter/diverter assembler/holder. I was just leaving on vacation for a couple weeks and the dealer told me to stop by and they would see what they could do.

What they did was to "by-pass" the water filter/diverter assembly by disconnecting the line coming from the main water supply and capping that off. The leak stopped and since I never used the filter in the first place I never gave it any more thought.

Fast forward to that fall ... I was noticing the problem with not having water come out of the cold side of the tap ... since it was time to winterize I never bothered with it ...

Long story short ... what they did by bypassing that line was to totally bypass the kitchen cold water line that came out the other side of the water filter/diverter holder/assembly. I only discovered that this morning when I was removing the faucet and disconnected the water lines. When I traced the water lines I noted that there was no water line connected to the kitchen cold water line because it had been bypassed.

Since I don't use the filter I have removed it completely for now and will re-connect the cold water kitchen line to the main water supply line and ... fingers crossed ... that should be the problem solved. I hope. 🙂

2012 Winnebago ERA

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Bob ... that works. I have a US address that it could be shipped to right on the other side of the border in Lockport, NY.

Thanks ... I'll give them a shout on Monday ... or check to see if they are open now ... there might be a couple hour time difference in my favour.

2012 Winnebago ERA

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Karsty, a suggestion, call Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City, IA, 1-800-343-6255, ask for parts. They are just down the street from the factory and have parts drop shipped straight from Winnebago to you. Now I don't know about the USA to Canada shipping charges or $$$$ differences, you know more about that stuff.

Also, do you filter all the water that goes in your coach? We always have, and have never had any plumbing issues in any of our RV's. I'm talking all water, even from the house....
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try a hardware store.....big box type (south of border we have Home Depot/Lowes/ACE/Menards etc)

Just need to match spacing (4" on center---6" on center etc.) on sink.

And possibly get adapters for connections IF they are different

Karsty
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies folks. I have removed the faucet and it appears that it is defective and blocking the cold water. The water line is not crimped or blocked.

Now comes the fun part ... trying to get a new on. I did check with a local plumbing supply store but they don't have anything close. I have tried two local Winnebago dealers ... nothing in stock so they would have to order. May take several weeks if they are even available, so I'm told.

This is the second time this faucet has been replaced. The first time before I even took delivery 3 years ago. Now it has broken again. Why they make such cheap parts is beyond me.

2012 Winnebago ERA

studio_driver
Explorer
Explorer
As others have indicated it sounds like the faucet is toast, or it could be as simple as a blockage in the cold water line, either some junk in the cold port of the faucet, or a pinched line. If it was a broken line, you would hear the pump running continuously.
Good luck in your debugging efforts.
Alain
2007 PW Excel TS
2 adults