cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ply ratings of tires

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1994 Fleetwood 30 foot P30 motorhome. It has 8r 19.5 tires on it and I need to replace them. I found a great buy on some 225 70R 19.5 tires but they are 10 ply tires? Has anyone ran any 10 ply tires on a P30 chassis?
mtnman
25 REPLIES 25

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
My 30 foot P30 has a GVWR of only 14,000 pounds. I would love to have these 10 ply tires on it. I think the 10 ply tires would ride a lot better than the old heavy 12 ply tires on there now. I will not be able to see the new tires until I buy them as this is not a tire store. He mainly deals in electronics and specialty Items for old restored cars. I am sure he can get 12 ply tires for a little more money. I think they said these tires are made by Bridgestone. Its a great deal for $130 each.

By the way, for you folks that are so worried about china made tires, I bought my old 8r 19.5 china made tires 9 years ago. They have over 22,000 miles on them and still look new. A lot of the miles were made on secondary roads and dirt roads. I have never had any issues with them. They were $140 each installed. I bet I could get another 2-3 years out of them easy. They do not have any air cracks at all. I do keep watch on my tires and air pressures since I have my own shop. I also carry an air compressor and check my tires daily when traveling.

I may still make some telephone calls to the tire dealers before I give on on getting the new smooth riding 10 ply tires for my light weight RV.
mtnman

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
mtnman1989 wrote:
I have a 1994 Fleetwood 30 foot P30 motorhome. It has 8r 19.5 tires on it and I need to replace them. I found a great buy on some 225 70R 19.5 tires but they are 10 ply tires? Has anyone ran any 10 ply tires on a P30 chassis?
mtnman

Our MPG improved and torque converter stayed locked up most of the time unlike with our 8R. Ride improved too.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Well, for a little motor home that is not too heavy 12 ply should be ok. I use Toyo 16 ply rated and I feel comfortable without worrying about a blow out. My coach weighs 30K lbs.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
sorry I thought you said you had 8 ply tires but I see now was that was the size 8R I mistook that as 8 ply my bad
and u never indicated u had 12 ply in your first post so I assumed you had 8 ply

as to your question Look at the required load rating for your motorhome if the 10ply tires have a load rating that meets that standard there is no reason they wont work + will ride smoother

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer
why are you mentioning 12Ply?

My RV tires now are 12 ply not 8 ply and I got a good deal on these brand new 10 ply tires if I want them. I just wanted to see if anyone that is driving a 30 foot motorhome with the P30 chassis has 10 ply tires on their rig?
mtnman

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Full DOT number is molded into only ONE sidewall (in your picture above) with the last 4 digits (usually in a slightly different area, as that part of the mold has to be changed every week) indicating the WEEK and YEAR of production. So, the tire in your picture was made the 13th week of 2015.

All the info less the date code will be on the other sidewall.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Brand new can still be old tires. What are the last 4 digits of the full DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire sold in N America?

That was his point.

You don't want 5 year old "brand new tires"! Best to find tires less than 1/4 year old.

Not to sure what a full dot number is but their should be a oval looking circle on the tire with four numbers. The first two are the week and the second two are the year. Should look like this.

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
darsben wrote:
donfrump wrote:
mike brez wrote:
darsben wrote:
mtnman1989 wrote:
mtnman

How old are the great buy tires?

6 12 ply are $1000.00 which is what I run
see them here

Samson's?

samsons are chinese tires I had 4 22.5 installed on the rear of a unit a few years back I put 3500 miles on before I sold the unit they seemed fine at the time were cheap and that's what I wanted

I have 6 of them going on 2 years now with no problems.
ALMOST EVERY tire manufacturer makes tires in China although some only sell the tires in other countries. The problem is some companies do no quality control and take what are made by the Chinese and never check specs. This is mostly private label and OEM companies.

I'm running 6 22.5 Samson's going on 4 years old now.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
mtnman1989 wrote:

The tires are brand new 225 70 19.5 and are only $130 each. A friend is getting them for me through a relative that has access to buy wholesale auto supplies but rarely deals in tires. He can get the tires for me but he does not mount them. I will have to mount them myself which I can do.

I just want to make sure that the 10 ply tires are going to be OK on my 1994 30 foot P30 RV. I have searched and searched for original tire specs for a 1994 P30 and I can't find details. I have a chassis manual and it don't even tell me what ply tires I should use?

I hate to go back and ask for 12 ply tires if I don't need them.
mtnman

Personally at 130$ each(cheap) I would not care one bit if they were a year old from build date.stored inside out of direct sunlight there fine and one that says there not is wrong. Second off why are you mentioning 12Ply? You said u have 8 ply now and will 10 be ok which of course they will be so why even bring 12ply into the conversation?

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
donfrump wrote:
mike brez wrote:
darsben wrote:
mtnman1989 wrote:
mtnman

see them here

Samson's?

samsons are chinese tires I had 4 22.5 installed on the rear of a unit a few years back I put 3500 miles on before I sold the unit they seemed fine at the time were cheap and that's what I wanted

I have 6 of them going on 2 years now with no problems.
ALMOST EVERY tire manufacturer makes tires in China although some only sell the tires in other countries. The problem is some companies do no quality control and take what are made by the Chinese and never check specs. This is mostly private label and OEM companies.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brand new can still be old tires. What are the last 4 digits of the full DOT number molded into one sidewall of each tire sold in N America?

That was his point.

You don't want 5 year old "brand new tires"! Best to find tires less than 1/4 year old.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mtnman1989
Explorer
Explorer

The tires are brand new 225 70 19.5 and are only $130 each. A friend is getting them for me through a relative that has access to buy wholesale auto supplies but rarely deals in tires. He can get the tires for me but he does not mount them. I will have to mount them myself which I can do.

I just want to make sure that the 10 ply tires are going to be OK on my 1994 30 foot P30 RV. I have searched and searched for original tire specs for a 1994 P30 and I can't find details. I have a chassis manual and it don't even tell me what ply tires I should use?

I hate to go back and ask for 12 ply tires if I don't need them.
mtnman

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
darsben wrote:
mtnman1989 wrote:
mtnman

see them here

Samson's?

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprise you did not ask the same question to the store where you found the tires.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog