cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Big Repairs, Used Motor Home

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
If I buy a 2 - 4 year old used diesel pusher motor home (to avoid huge front end depreciation), what are the big things I might get hung with? Motor repairs, transmission repairs?? How much might that be, how to avoid it?
24 REPLIES 24

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the way I look at it. My MH is a 2003, I bought it in 2011. It had all the previous owner records with it. The first owner kept it 2 years and sold it for $60k less than he gave for it. The second owner kept it for 5 years and sold it to me for $45 less than he paid for it. It had just under 40k miles on it, had been kept in a heated/cooled garage most of its life and was in mint condition. I bought it for $105k less than it cost new. I have been lucky, other than minor repairs that I did myself, all I have done is a water pump on the engine and new tires. It would take a long time to use up that $105k in deprecation for repairs.

I pulled in to Branson, MO and into my RV spot. The guy next to me had a nice 5ver and a brand new Chevy Duramax/Allison. He came over and was looking at my MH. He said I wish I could afford one like that. I looked over at him and said, well, you gave more for your pickup than I gave for this, and that's not counting the 5erv. He just scratch his head and walked away.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly the drive train will have a five year warranty (Cummins and Allison). So, a 2-4 yr. old motorhome will be in warranty. Sometimes the other items (appliances) will have a 3 yr. warranty depending on the appliance.

Our front roof air went out in year 3 and was under warranty for full replacement but I had to pay the labor for installation.

Maintenance is the key.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

teleman2
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2000 DP in 2010 have had no major problems. Put around 20,000 miles with no problems

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 4 motorhomes, 3 used and 1 new. My first one was 10 years old when I bought it but had not been used for 2 years. That was a dog. Second was new and had many problems. The last 2 have been used and the best ever, including the current Newmar. I have had 49 cars in the last 55 years and the biggest problem was always the new ones.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should not have a huge issue if things run smoothly but you will be nearing the end on tires and batteries. The rest us unknown as you never really now the issues till they crop up. Tires at six to seven years and batteries, depending on care any time after five to seven.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
We're in the process of buying a 2011 DP and like others feel it's a calculated risk. We aren't getting hit with the huge depreciation but neither do we have the warranty to fall back on.

I hear all the of the time to get an inspection done. We weren't able to find anyone or place that offered that service where the coach we're buying is.

Run a Carfax which will give you some but not all info. The engine/chassis manufacturer should have records if there was any service work done for that coach. Not sure about other manufacturers but Newmar has been a huge help in answering questions about the particular coach we're interested in.

Good luck with your search!
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
So many things...just like a used car. Y'never really know. Until the deal is done and it's too late. Again, like a used car, sometimes y'win, sometimes y'lose.

Have a qualified RV mechanic (and/or truck mechanic) look it over. Test ALL the systems and take your time.

If it has been professionally "detailed", remember that detailing is almost an art form. LOOKS great, but...............

g'luck!

If you read some of the posts here you almost run the same risk when buying new, how many threads have there been "just picked up my new MH and .... is broke and now has been in for repair for ...

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
So many things...just like a used car. Y'never really know. Until the deal is done and it's too late. Again, like a used car, sometimes y'win, sometimes y'lose.

Have a qualified RV mechanic (and/or truck mechanic) look it over. Test ALL the systems and take your time.

If it has been professionally "detailed", remember that detailing is almost an art form. LOOKS great, but...............

g'luck!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
A complete inspection by a qualified mechanic should locate any obvious problems. Obviously that is no guaranty as to what might happen months down the road. Even a new coach can have a catastrophic failure right after it goes out of warranty.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
A 2-4 years old diesel might just be getting broke in depending on the miles. The biggest thing, are there maintenance records as to what's been done to maintain the unit while it was in use. But a unit in that range should have no worry about break downs unless it was severely abused by it previous owner.