cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to have a 3500 Dually Truck as a TOAD vehicle?

scottkeen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just exploring possibilities. I have a Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4WD pickup truck which I use to tow my 5th wheel trailer toy hauler.

Somewhere down the road I'd maybe like to trade my 5th wheel in and get a Class A motorhome. But I love my Ram 3500 and it's my daily driver. So if I go the route of a Class A, can I flat-tow, trailer, dolly my Ram 3500? It weighs about 7,500 lbs and measures 22 ft nose to tail.

Here's a twist. I also love my motorcycle and my 5th wheel is a toy hauler. If I go the motorhome route, I don't want to give up space for a toy hauler garage again, so I was thinking I'd like to put the motorcycle in the bed of the truck as the truck is towed. The bike weighs 400 lbs.

So we're talking a combined weight of 7,900 lbs for a TOAD. Plus any trailer or dolly if that's what I would need.

Is this possible with a motorhome? What am I looking for in a motorhome that can do this? I'm guessing it will need to be a diesel for starters.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 QC LB DRW Laramie 6.7L -- Patriot Blue!
2011 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 347THT
2008 Suzuki SV650
2011 German Shepherd Dog
28 REPLIES 28

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Papers checked? Someone asked. Guess it don't happen to everyone but I was stopped at a checkpoint once where they checked your license and registration and made sure it all was up to date and matched. They also looked inside the trailer. I also once had a fuel sample taken from the DP to see if I was using off road fuel. You tow a conspicuous looking mess like I have and they just get curious I guess.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Never been stopped for over length, including when I tow my 24' car trailer.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
discovery4us wrote:
I use a 3/4 ton Silverado with a Polaris RZRS in the bed as a toad behind my 275 HP DP.

Have you ever had the entire setup weighed when fully loaded ready to travel? What does the towed setup by itself weigh?

MH is @ 22,000 lbs.
Truck and RZRS @ 7,000 lbs.
GCWR for the MH is 30,000 lbs. so I am right at the maximum.

JackMS
Explorer
Explorer
You can see my prior setup in my signature. The one thing I didn't like was when the toad would track the ruts in the older roads, you could feel it pull the back of the coach that direction. Nothing that you had to correct with steering input but it was a little aggrevating.
I also am surprised no has emphasized a good auxiliary brake system in your toad. My system wasn't adjusted good at first when I put it in and it was a little bit unnerving- that heavy of a truck pushed me around a little bit until I got it right.
2005 Holiday Rambler Neptune 34pdd, Cummins ISB 300, Allison 2500MH, Onan 8.0QD
Prior Toad-2001 Chevy 2500 CC 4WD
Toad-2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Aventa II

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
I use a 3/4 ton Silverado with a Polaris RZRS in the bed as a toad behind my 275 HP DP.

Have you ever had the entire setup weighed when fully loaded ready to travel? What does the towed setup by itself weigh?
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

discovery4us
Explorer
Explorer

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
papers checked???
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arch My old Monaco Dynasty + the race car trailer was 77ft long and my current one totals 72. I have been all over the country including CA and have never been stopped for a length check. I have been stopped and had my papers checked but they never mentioned my length.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:
I tow a full size Harley in the back of my pickup with a blue ox lift. No problems. My last truck was the same as yours, my current one is a half ton. Pm me for more info.

Have you ever been stopped for being over length? Just curious.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

C20
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a full size Harley in the back of my pickup with a blue ox lift. No problems. My last truck was the same as yours, my current one is a half ton. Pm me for more info.
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
Check the Remco website for information on what you can flat tow and parts that can make it happen.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You need to get the power first time. I just don’t think that one has enough

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Our everyday toad is 6k#, I wouldn't even notice another ton. Our everyday GCW is 36k, 38 is minimal change.

Coach is rated 34 / 44 with a 360. It's been over the Rockies on I70. No complaints. But you can never have too much power. :B
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
I have a Cat C7 350HP engine towing a Jeep Wrangler. I spend most of my time in the western states and western Canada. I'm sure 350HP will eventually get you up the hill, but I myself, would want a stronger engine for towing the truck and bike.

Bill

I agree with Bill but otherwise the numbers look good. 10,000-lb difference between GCWR and GVWR and 10,000-lb hitch. flat towing your truck would have a negligible tongue weight. but if you go this route be sure you get the three different actual weights I mentioned in a previous post.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle