cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Potential Full Timer - National Tropi-cal good choice?

roadtriptoforev
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Diesel Pusher - National Tropi-Cal

Miles 53899

Seems to be in good shape. Gonna have a mechanic look at it though and do a full inspection

ANy known issues with these guys?
23 REPLIES 23

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I too have an "orphan" coach. And...by NationalRV. A 2001 gasser "Dolphin". Aside from the chassis, the motorhome part of it...replacements...are no problem. Stove, a/c units, fridge, etc.,etc. are all readily available from many suppliers. Electrical gremlins happen in any coach. Body parts..like the front and rear caps? The molds were bought by a shop in California....mentioned here on the forum a few times. If you're unfortunate to need one, they can duplicate it.

I suggest perhaps you can find a current RV dealer that did carry your NationalRV coach...he and his staff might still be willing and able to assist.

Good luck

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of us have RV's that aren't made anymore. Are parts available,yes. Sometimes it takes some questions on a forum to find parts but it can be done. A/c,frig and most plumbing stuff easy to find parts for. If its in good shape and you like it thsts what matters most!
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Simple example you pull up to pay a toll only to find out it's one of those very narrow toll booths. You end up clipping a mirror. That mirror will be made by someone, but who? No toll free number to call to find out. Hand it over to the bump shop and hope they can figure it out. Of course if you don't mind paying them to figure it out, no problem.

Another example, slide won't come out. Turns out there is a relay that is buried from sight. The tech support line knows it there and they know it's a common problem. The RV repair guy and you have no clue, but will find it sooner or later but you're on your own.

Maybe the used coach didn't come with a wiring diagram and your door handle doesn't light up. It's probably a fuse or some little switch, but the coach has multiple places to check and will take a half day to go thru them all. Would be nice to have a wiring diagram for the next time something simple like that goes so you're not wasting all your time chasing down a line.

The list goes on. Does that stuff stop you from buying an orphan coach of course not. Should you factor that into your overall price, I would.

Then how about those little decorative items on the outside when they go bad and start making that nice coach look like it qualifies for the 10 year old rule.....:B
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
National is out of business is the only thing I can think of, so you will have an orphan coach.

All coaches are pretty much orphan once the warranty runs out. RV manufactures change models periodically. Once a model changes you can only buy parts they may have left over from the run of your model. JMHO. Most repair parts are going to be bought from dometic, Thetford etc.

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
John&Joey wrote:
RayChez wrote:
Yes National is out of business, but I am sure the chassis is no different then all those Freightliner chassis out there on many different brands. You will have no problems getting service on a Freight liner chassis.

It's the small things that will drive you crazy, not the major stuff like chassis/engine. Honestly, how often does the major stuff go vs all the little junk. When you have an orphan RV you're on your own, that is one reason they sell for a discount.

I don't see a big problem. There are only so many parts as in some body parts that were made by the manufacture. You can by replacement parts from the original makers or find a suitable replacement /upgrade.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
Yes National is out of business, but I am sure the chassis is no different then all those Freightliner chassis out there on many different brands. You will have no problems getting service on a Freight liner chassis.

It's the small things that will drive you crazy, not the major stuff like chassis/engine. Honestly, how often does the major stuff go vs all the little junk. When you have an orphan RV you're on your own, that is one reason they sell for a discount.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
National is out of business is the only thing I can think of, so you will have an orphan coach.

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Have an RV inspector look at it. Its a lot more than mechanical things. Its roof leaks, batteries, inverter/charger plumbing and everything else on the house side. Well worth the money.
Good luck.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4