cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power question

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
we currently own a 2004 Itasca 34' MH with the workhorse chassis. We full time and need a little more room and carrying capacity.

We are looking at a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH. It has a GVWR of 32,400 lbs. and a Cummins ISC Engine 380 HP/1050 Lb. I am curious if this is enough power to weight. I don't need to be first up the hill, but don't want to be woefully under powered. After a couple years in the overloaded gasser, I am even more concerned about getting down the hill comfortably.
looking for input from others with a similar set up. Also any known issues with this year/model?
Jack and Nina
8 REPLIES 8

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
cpd520 wrote:
we currently own a 2004 Itasca 34' MH with the workhorse chassis. We full time and need a little more room and carrying capacity.

We are looking at a 2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH. It has a GVWR of 32,400 lbs. and a Cummins ISC Engine 380 HP/1050 Lb. I am curious if this is enough power to weight. I don't need to be first up the hill, but don't want to be woefully under powered. After a couple years in the overloaded gasser, I am even more concerned about getting down the hill comfortably.
looking for input from others with a similar set up. Also any known issues with this year/model?

Can only say that our 41 ft/GVW 34,000lbs (about 32,000 actual) with a C9 400HP Cat and 1150lbs of torque @ 1400RPM was quite impressive with our maiden voyage over a lot of the Appalachian mountain range and yes they can be as demanding as the Rockies in many cases.
Unbelievable with the way it stuck in 6 and 5th gear overdrive pulling over 2 tons worth of toad in the process. Had some downshifts into 4th on occasion, but only with the long 6% grades did it drop below 50mph and this with the speed control always set at 55. Tried to out think the Allison Tranny on occasion, but to no avail, as it is pretty smart in the gear selecting process.
As for going downhill, the brakes should last forever, as I quickly got in the habit of leaving the exhaust brake on, at all times. Many times I needed to give it a little pedal to keep it moving downhill and if anything, I came to watch the automatic downshifts on the steep ones, so as not to allow over revving of the engine. It's supposed to protect itself, but still don't want to see 2900 before doing so and certainly don't want an upshift at that point either, so a little extra braking might be necessary at times.
All in all, I like 400HP for 40ft lengths generally speaking and we do have a friend with 330 or 350Hp Cummins in a 40ft Holiday Rambler that complains of having low mountain power. Doesn't seem that he's all too happy with the brakes on the downhill either and don't know what that's all about.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It will be fine as others have said but it won't perform as well as your shorter lighter gas MH.

cpd520
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Road trip tomorrow to look at the MH.
Jack and Nina

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been doing great with 8.3 Cummins 1050 lbs torque, working a total load of 32K + 4K. The way I drive it, if I want maximum performance acceleration, I simply stand on the throttle all the way and HOLD it there until I reach the speed I want. The Allison 6 spd always finds the gear that will produce maximun power at the drive tires. This engine does not mind turning 2,400 RPM when needed. I don't mind either. IMO you'll do just fine.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The ISC is 8.3L, it will do fine.
2014 American Eagle

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
We travel around 34,000# on 350 horses, and do OK.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
cpd520 wrote:

power will be sufficient.(certainly not overwhelming)but for sure not woefully underpowered at all.I have a allegro bus ISL 425HP/1250 torque and find it sufficient but as said far from overwhelming
Take the serial number and call Tiffin and they will tell u if theres any factory recalls outstanding on the unit

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.