cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevost chassis owners.... need opinions.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We have decided to possibly have a Prevost chassis coach built maybe next year (unless I could find the perfect used one). I know the new Prevost chassis units have the Volvo engines now offered since they were purchased a year or so ago. I can't find online literature on how much HP the Volvo engine has. Is it a good engine?

I'm 99% sure this will be our last coach taking us into the next 20 yrs. I'll then be 75 yrs. old and I think I'll be done with RVing by then.

For those of you who own a Prevost coach, would you prefer a certain conversion company?
Marathon
Liberty
Millennium
Outlaw (just heard of this one in Texas)
Any others?

I know I've said in the past that these are really not camping coaches, more of a trophy coach (no screen doors, etc.)

Do you find that they have just as many issues as the regular coaches?

I know the Detroit Diesels had 525 HP for a 50,000 lb. coach, I thought that was a little low. What is your experience if you have this engine?

Thanks for ALL the input. If we go new, I want a 2015 model.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins
64 REPLIES 64

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
aarondeere wrote:
Like I said on page 2....I have the same engine and power rating in my semi as in the prevost just different tranny and when grossing around 60k it is a powerhouse. I don't think power will be any problem.

Great to hear that the Volvo has a good engine. As I mentioned before, I was amazed at how many Volvo trucks on the road.

MM.
Mr.Mark

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
I just bought an '05 Prevost today!!! Picking it up in 3 weeks....that being said I've spent the last 6 months researching, looking at coaches and deciding what is important and what it not. There is a great site that is loaded with info. I would join and check it out: http://prevostcommunity.com/index.asp

It was by far the most informative forum on prevost coaches. About converters.

IMHO

Liberty is the rolls royce of Prevost converters and it shows in the price and re-sale values.
Marathon is also a good converter as is Millennium. All of these converters are still in business. Then there is Vantare, Outlaw and a few others. There are also TONS of nice used coaches out there where you won't take that first big hit of depreciation. I wasn't worried at all about the orphan coaches like Royale, Country Coach ect....because all of the orphan coaches now have service centers and techs all over that can service your coach as well as the prevost service centers themselves for any chassis issues. I've owned 6 coaches so far and the prevost is my 7th. If you've never driven one you MUST!!! there is nothing like it for power, comfort and quiet ride. I've had two class A diesels and as you can see in my signature the coach I just sold was a wonderful class 8 truck conversion (which I loved and didn't want to sell) but the DW just never got used to being a passenger in a "truck". Says she was spoiled with the class A co-pilot seats....anyway gotta keep the DW happy so I can stay on the road and tour for extended periods.

Have fun in your search. As I said I spent 6 months and was glad I didn't rush into the decision because my first thoughts, wants and needs evolved as I learned more.

Thanks for the link! I registered today, it's a great resource!

Here's the link as a clicky: Prevost Community
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why a prevost, well it is not only the custom floor plan. Foretavel makes every coach a custom coach. In fact I have had a number of Prevost converters say they are the closest thing to a Prevost and the best production coach out there. NOw why after knowing that would I still look at a prevost. It is that the chassis is still better than FTs. It is a 2 million mile chassis that has been tested under much more stress than the average motorhome. It drives well and the systems they put in it are rock solid. Over the road air mean no running the genset as the over the road air will keep it cool. ALso you have relays that are commecial grade that you use to turn on and off the coach systems. You also, have Prevost slide systems, which are very robust.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

aarondeere
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said on page 2....I have the same engine and power rating in my semi as in the prevost just different tranny and when grossing around 60k it is a powerhouse. I don't think power will be any problem.
Aaron
2010 Dodge 3500
2012 Voltage 3600 Epic

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr.Mark wrote:
Sully2 wrote:
"I know the Detroit Diesels had 525 HP for a 50,000 lb. coach, I thought that was a little low. What is your experience if you have this engine?"

But....but what about the golden rule laid down here even as to "1 HP per 100lbs of weight" ( which I always thought was BS anyway)

Hey Sully, I just now saw your post which was just after my original post. That happens sometimes, posts appear later and yours wasn't there for a while.

To correct myself, the Detroit Diesel has 515 hp. And I agree with you on the 1 hp per 100 lbs. But, it's like someone mentioned, it's all about torque.

It's going to be an interesting search as I'm in no rush. I want to have all my ducks in a row before spending the money.

MM.

1750 pounds of torque should move a 50,000+ pound coach with no problem. Don't forget, these are basically the same coaches that are moving the NASCAR guys all around the country. I doubt if they would drive a dog. :B

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Sully2 wrote:
"I know the Detroit Diesels had 525 HP for a 50,000 lb. coach, I thought that was a little low. What is your experience if you have this engine?"

But....but what about the golden rule laid down here even as to "1 HP per 100lbs of weight" ( which I always thought was BS anyway)

Hey Sully, I just now saw your post which was just after my original post. That happens sometimes, posts appear later and yours wasn't there for a while.

To correct myself, the Detroit Diesel has 515 hp. And I agree with you on the 1 hp per 100 lbs. But, it's like someone mentioned, it's all about torque.

It's going to be an interesting search as I'm in no rush. I want to have all my ducks in a row before spending the money.

MM.
Mr.Mark

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
michelb wrote:
Slightly off topic but I'm just curious what the reasoning is to get a Prevost Custom Coach over something like a King Air or Essex or Zephyr or Cornerstone or one of the other factory coaches. Is it because you want to be able to customize it just the way you want it (which you might not be able to do on a factory coach)? Is there that big of a jump in quality, fit and finish (if I'm not mistaken, I thought the Prevost conversions about double or more the cost of the highest end factory coach)?

Let us know. Thanks.

To me, it's for the rock solid chassis and the fit and finish. I looked at a King Air while at Traverse City, Michigan, around the 4th of July when my nephew got married. Newmar had two coaches at the RV resort, a King Air and an Essex. The Essex sold that weekend. The price on the King Air was just over $900,000 MSRP.

It was nice but the Aqua-Hot exhaust was SO low! If you were drive into a driveway with a crest, you would lose that pipe. It should be as close to the front of the rear wheels as possible. They had it at the very middle of the underside.

We semi-customized our Dynasty as it was on the assembly line when we ordered it. We were able to pick the exact options and colors offered. With a Prevost converter, you work with a clean slate. Now, as I mentioned in my first post, if I could find a 2010 or up Prevost equipped like I would order it (90%+),,,, I would certainly consider it.

I tried joining the Prevost website/forum but you have to be 'approved' and I haven't received my email password yet. LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark

Flyawes
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:
mike brez wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
JTHarley, congrats on the Prevost! Now you can get back into the Class-A resorts! Ha Ha!!

I sure hope you keep us updated on your experience good and not so good if anything happens.

MM.

For a couple of years anyway :B

I will post this new learning curve and experience....having my truck conversion and attempting to get into A resorts.......believe me I'll never go back to some of them.

Just wondering if you will return to Riverbend. I know you have previously posted that it was one of your favorite spots. We are spending the winter there again this year.

Marc
Marc & Linda
Buddy & Phoebe (pomeranians)
2002 Holiday Rambler Navigator 45' DCDS
2012 GMC Sierra
2002 Harley-Davidson Road King

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
Slightly off topic but I'm just curious what the reasoning is to get a Prevost Custom Coach over something like a King Air or Essex or Zephyr or Cornerstone or one of the other factory coaches. Is it because you want to be able to customize it just the way you want it (which you might not be able to do on a factory coach)? Is there that big of a jump in quality, fit and finish (if I'm not mistaken, I thought the Prevost conversions about double or more the cost of the highest end factory coach)?

Let us know. Thanks.

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
Don McL wrote:
JTHarley wrote:
I just bought an '05 Prevost today!!! Picking it up in 3 weeks....that being said I've spent the last 6 months researching, looking at coaches and deciding what is important and what it not. There is a great site that is loaded with info. I would join and check it out: http://prevostcommunity.com/index.asp

IMHO

Liberty is the rolls royce of Prevost converters and it shows in the price and re-sale values.
Marathon is also a good converter as is Millennium. All of these converters are still in business. Then there is Vantare, Outlaw and a few others. There are also TONS of nice used coaches out there where you won't take that first big hit of depreciation. I wasn't worried at all about the orphan coaches like Royale, Country Coach ect....because all of the orphan coaches now have service centers and techs all over that can service your coach as well as the prevost service centers themselves for any chassis issues. I've owned 6 coaches so far and the prevost is my 7th. If you've never driven one you MUST!!! there is nothing like it for power, comfort and quiet ride. I've had two class A diesels and as you can see in my signature the coach I just sold was a wonderful class 8 truck conversion (which I loved and didn't want to sell) but the DW just never got used to being a passenger in a "truck". Says she was spoiled with the class A co-pilot seats....anyway gotta keep the DW happy so I can stay on the road and tour for extended periods.

Have fun in your search. As I said I spent 6 months and was glad I didn't rush into the decision because my first thoughts, wants and needs evolved as I learned more.

you guys need to revolt and tell your DW's to put their big girl panties on and deal with it. imvho

don

LOL.....some things maybe.......but C'mon Don, my WIFE wanted me to get a Prevost......would any man in his right mind argue with that.......LOL She used to joke and laugh when I told people....ok, this is my last coach! This morning over breakfast she said, you know, this probably will not be our last coach....oh how the tide turns. She loves the RV lifestyle as much as I do and that makes for a happy couple, happy wife, happy life.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Devonm2012 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
I have seen an Outlaw coach, they are very nice. Not the whore house glass and mirror stuff

GREAT comment! Gave me my belly laugh for the day! We thought we were the only ones that did not want to live in a Las Vegas Strip on wheels......minus the stripper pole! (well, they may have that too for all I know!)

I actually saw a stripper poll in an entertainers coach a few years ago. Soon after I put one in our Revolution. Angela made me take it out. She got tired of watching me soin around and hang upside down.

(Ok, the first part was true).

I actually saw a Prevost with a stripper pole too. The coach was on display at the Motorcoach Resort in Indio, CA, a couple of years ago. That coach has an extremely limited audience.

I would guess someone special ordered it with a nice big deposit and didn't take delivery. It was awful! The coach had two slides and a half-mirrored ball hanging from the living room ceiling for effect. The stripper pole was inbetween the living room sofa and the kitchen counter with mirrors on the wall.

Now think about it, 99% of the time it's going to be an older couple who can afford a coach like that.... so, I can see Gramps yelling at 'Momma' to get up on the pole to entertain. LOL!

MM.
Mr.Mark

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Devonm2012 wrote:
dons2346 wrote:
I have seen an Outlaw coach, they are very nice. Not the whore house glass and mirror stuff

GREAT comment! Gave me my belly laugh for the day! We thought we were the only ones that did not want to live in a Las Vegas Strip on wheels......minus the stripper pole! (well, they may have that too for all I know!)

I actually saw a stripper poll in an entertainers coach a few years ago. Soon after I put one in our Revolution. Angela made me take it out. She got tired of watching me soin around and hang upside down.

(Ok, the first part was true).
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Don_McL
Explorer
Explorer
JTHarley wrote:

IMHO

you guys need to revolt and tell your DW's to put their big girl panties on and deal with it. imvho

don

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:
JTHarley, congrats on the Prevost! Now you can get back into the Class-A resorts! Ha Ha!!

I sure hope you keep us updated on your experience good and not so good if anything happens.

MM.

For a couple of years anyway :B

I will post this new learning curve and experience....having my truck conversion and attempting to get into A resorts.......believe me I'll never go back to some of them.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the road air is Prevost heating and cooling. No genset just run the bus and be comfy. Liberty puts it in standard but too any slides and there is nowhere to run the pipes to run it. I might do three slides, two in the bedroom one in the living room to make it easier to use on the road too. The other inverters put engine driven units or bigger alternators to run an AC unit. The best is over the road air and it makes driving it a joy Especally in the summer.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts