cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane Tank Holder - Almost a disaster

LindaHolland
Explorer
Explorer
There are probably many of you out there that – like us – carry around a small propane tank to use with our portable bar-b-que and Campfire-in-a-can. The question is … where do you store it when space is at a premium?

It’s not safe to store it inside of our RV, so we found a contraption that holds the tank on the outside of our Class C. It’s a pretty simple device, metal with a ring that fits around the 20lb tank and a small tab that fits inside of the bottom of the tank. It attaches to the back of the RV – in our case we attached it to the tubing that our spare tire is on. You then put a bolt through the ring in the space provided to tighten up the ring and hold the tank secure. Pretty simple, yes?

The trouble we had was getting the nut on the bolt on and off with a minimum of fuss … it’s small enough that it’s hard to grasp and turn with your fingers when tight, and who wants to have to get a wrench every time you want to install or remove the tank. We thought we’d found the perfect solution by putting a wing nut on the bolt – it’s much easier to loosen and tighten with just fingers.

Soon after putting on this handy little wing nut … we were travelling down the highway from Redding, CA to Trinity Lake when I heard a noise that I knew shouldn’t be there. “Honey … we have to stop … I think we’re dragging something!” Unfortunately the highway had no shoulder - so we carried on assuming/hoping it wasn’t anything too critical. We’d look for the first opportunity and pull over.

This highway not only had no shoulder, it was under repair and traffic was being directed by flagpeople. We passed the first flag still looking for somewhere to pull over when we came up to the 2nd flagperson with a STOP sign. As we stopped, she ran up to us waving and frantically shouting “You’re dragging your propane tank!!!!”

Oh No!! We hopped out and sure enough, the wing nut had loosened itself completely off (the bolt was a 3” bolt!), and the tank was dragging on the ground only being held by the locking cable we’d put on to keep it from being stolen!
The tank was a bit dented and had most of the paint scraped off … but otherwise was intact. When our heatrbeats came down to almost normal, we put the tank back in the holder and taped the new wing nut onto the bolt with electrical tape to ensure it wouldn’t (hopefully) come off again AND we wrapped the locking cable around the tank several times so if it did come off again it would only drop a few inches, not all the way to the ground.

So disaster averted … it could have been much worse! If we hadn’t put the locking cable on - when the tank came off, it might have rolled under our towed car and … possibly exploded … or bounced and went through someone’s window … or bounced, exploded AND went thought someone’s window?
This solution works for now … but I’m wondering if there are any other devices out there that are better designed and easier to use than the tank holder we have now. Any thoughts?
Visit our site at http://www.ourhomehas6wheels.com/from-redding-to-trinity-lake/ to see photos!
8 REPLIES 8

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Like DrewE stated, the simplest solution is to instal a line from your RV Propane tank to an area outside your MH where you typically grill. Using a quick disconnect, you then plug your hose to the connector on the side of your MH where the lead is. No bottles to lug around and you don't run out of propane in the middle of preparing dinner. Of course you do need sufficient propane in your RV propane tank.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 11# propane tank for our grill. Same height as a 20# tank but smaller diameter. It is kept in an exterior compartment in its own rack secured with a bungee cord. Big enough to last a season and small enough to store safely.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not a good idea to carry propane tanks on the back of a vehicle for crash safety reasons anyway. (I realize that there are limited options available when you don't have much storage space....) The applicable NFPA code prohibits tanks behind the bumper (or on the roof or hanging down underneath below the rest of the vehicle).

One decent option is to hook up to the RV propane tank for outside grill, etc. use; then you just have to figure out where to put the hose when it's not in use.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two years back we had a typical portable-grill propane tank leak after we disconnected the line from it. I made repeated attempts at re-sealing it via pushing the pin in and spring back, but it continued to leak. I ended up holding in the pin until all gas had escaped, then tossed it. The leak was very slow, enough to be smelled, and even heard if placed next to your ear. Had we stored the tank as we usually do, it would have built gasses in our outdoor storage compartment, then who knows what would have happened.

I wished there was a tight-seal screw-on metal cap available for those tanks for storage, after you started using them.

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
Normally, we carry a 20LB tank in a rear outside compartment, and normally leave it there. It's generally only used for cooking equipment, not a portable fire setup.

When space has been a premium, we have a hitch mount carrier we carry stuff on. Using a tank foot (large plastic stabilizer the tank sits in snuggly) and also strapping to the carrier through the hand holds. Never had it fall off the carrier or rub through the strap.

Looking at your blog link, if your tow has a hitch, you can get a carrier for it, or stow the tank with a tank foot in the trunk. Those tank feet are very stable. Another alternative, would be to buy a tank setup used for a trailer and have it permanently attached to your bumper. They are a bit more secure, look at PPL motorhomes.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tachdriver wrote:
You could have used a fiber lock nut which would have prevented the nut from backing off but seems that you fixed it. Good thing that there was minimal damage.

But that would defeat the purpose of the wing nut....they used the wing nut because it was difficult to tighten any regular nut easily.

Personally, if it's really necessary to remove the tank to use it, then I'd redesign the holder. I wouldn't want the propane tank to be loose in any configuration and it sounds like you've simply tightened the theft cable so it won't reach the ground. That will prevent the tank from slamming on the ground but it won't prevent it from coming loose. Look at Lowe's or Home Depot in the hdwe section in those little drawers they have there. They should have a self locking plastic knob with a brass nut inside that might solve your issue. Another solution would be to drill a small hole in the screw portion, which would allow you to put the wing nut on then lock it in place with a locking pin. (see pics) Good luck and safe travels....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well.........

One thing for sure.
You have field tested and proven that those portable propane cylinders are tough, well designed and can handle extreme abuse.

It is very hard to make one explode unless they are part of a 'conflagration'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You could have used a fiber lock nut which would have prevented the nut from backing off but seems that you fixed it. Good thing that there was minimal damage.