cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Propane tank serviciability

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased a 1999 Fleetwood Flair 34D and I have been preparing it for full timing to start in June. I am generally pleased with its condition and am aware of its age so I am cautious with safety features. It has a horizontal propane tank that to the best of my knowledge is 11 gallons. It is rusted and somewhat pitted all across the bottom. I mentioned this to the mechanic who walked me through the coach when I purchased it and he said not to worry, he said that RV mounted propane tanks are much thicker. Of course he was a company man so I am not sure. Replacement tanks are very expensive but I certainly do not put a price on my family's safety. Where can I get the tank inspected? I want to remove it and treat with POR15
17 REPLIES 17

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
After the above treatment, spray it with an aerosol can of truck bed liner. That, being tough & flexible will resist the abrasion from road grit.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
If you want Rust Converter in an aerosol, see www.winzer.com look up part #891.1750, Rust Kon 20oz aerosol.... excellent product.... again, only remove loose, flaky rust... The black finish you end up with is a Phosphate conversion of the rust, turned to an excellent primer....
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
pugslyyy wrote:
You can definitely paint it to improve the appearance but I doubt you have anything to worry about - those tanks are built to be ignored.
X-2

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
I guess shiny would be overstated. It was in the condition that course sand blasting would leave it in. On the frame the Por15 stayed in place, but the rust penetrated through the pours in the paint. POR15 claim is that it seals out moister, which stops the rust from continuing to grow. My observation is that it did not seal out as claimed, as the rust came back through the paint. The paint is all still there, but the rust has bubbled back through the paint from underneath.
IRV2

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rusted and pitted is not necessary a problem. Clean it, and remove all LOOSE rust then check it and try to determine how pitted it is. Slighht pitting a coat of Naval Jelly followed by a few coats of Acme Rust Control paint (Ok I confess, used tow work for Acme quality paints division of Sherman Williams...40 years ago) to help keep it from rusting further.

If the pitting is serious. have a pro look at it.

You might wish to haul (Drive) the rig over to a propane wholesaler who does this kind of thing and have them take a look at it after the initial cleaning (Before you toss money at it) there are several things that can "De-certify" a tank, But fact is I think you will be told Paint it and keep an eye on it from time to time.

Just remember: When they were finishing up the certification class for propane pump jockeys and reviewing the test.. The question was "What happens if you mix propane and air in the right proportion and there is a spark or open flame".. My answer: You land two counties over, Was approved of by the instructor (After the laughter died that is).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Curt and Marie wrote:
What is the name of the NAPA product?

That was quite a while ago, I don't remember. It may not have been a NAPA product, although I did purchase it at the NAPA store.
All I remember is that it was Rust Converter, and the rust turned black when it was sprayed on.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
Curt and Marie wrote:
Thanks Navy! I have never used it but I understand POR15 is the best rust converter available Army X 25 years

We did the POR15 thing to the propane tank on our 2001 Adventurer. I rolled a hydraulic table under it and removed it in about 10 minutes. It took several hours to scrape and sand off the rust. Then I gave it 2 coats of POR 15. After it dried I put a couple cover coats of industrial gray over it. It looked as good as the day it came from the factory when I was finished.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I am a fan of POR15, big time. I used a lot of it, and their topcoats on my Camaro, and I've had zero problems, even when I didn't follow the directions on prep perfectly. The restoration on my car was completed in 2005, started in 1999, so some of this is quite old now.

Por 15 doesn't like smooth bare shiny metal, nor does it like old paint (actually it doesn't mind old paint, except if the old paint flakes off, the new por15 will come off with it). For most of the prep I used 3m paint remover disks in a die grinder. Kinda like a rock hard scotch brite pad that spins...
Strips the paint of instantly without affecting the metal much.

Sandblasting is a while 'nother level of prep. Use a good etching primer followed by a primer surface, then shoot the color.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer
What is the name of the NAPA product?

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The only "rust converter" I have used I bought at the local NAPA store. the directions were very explicit; clean the loose rust, but NOT down to bare shiny metal. When it was sprayed on the remaining rust, it turned the rust black. When it dried, I primed and painted with Rust-Oleum spray paint. Several years later, there was no rust.
For bare metal, apparently a Rust Converter should not be used, just a good primer, such as a zinc chromate primer.
For a fuel tank, I would (and have used) use a good sloshing compound that coats the tank with a neoprene-like substance. It seals small leaks, and coats all the junk in the tank to keep it out of fuel lines. It worked for me.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
Curt and Marie wrote:
Thanks Navy! I have never used it but I understand POR15 is the best rust converter available Army X 25 years
I would disagree with this. I have used it, and am extremely unimpressed with the product. I sandblasted my frame down to shiny steel, used the rust converter that they supplied, and then painted. In less than a year, the rust stains began to develop over the whole frame It has continued to rust at the same rate it had been rusting previously. It does not appear to perform any better than any old cheap rattle can paint. I do not know if there is a better product out there, but either way, POR15 does not perform acceptably.

Incidentally I also treated the inside of a fuel tank that had a small leak. Even though the instructions were carefully followed, the POR15 flaked off the first time I used the tank. (Yes it was let stand to dry for over a week) Basically it left me with a mess - clogged fuel filter full of paint flakes - went through about 4 filters to burn 37 gallons of fuel. Needless to say, that tank is now rendered useless.
IRV2

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Coyote74 wrote:
I would use a brass wire brush, no sparks.
Why? :h Are you assuming that the tank is leaking? :R
I'd use a power wire brush, a RO sander, primer, & paint.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Curt_and_Marie
Explorer
Explorer

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I would clean all the loose rust off, treat it with rust converter, prime and paint it, and not worry about it.
It is an ASME tank. No recertification is required.
Recertification is only required for USDOT portable cylinders.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT