cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Property tax

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
My fellow Virginia Rv'ers, how rough is the property tax on your class A? Virginia isn't a toy friendly state.
38 REPLIES 38

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
It's threads like this that remind me there are some really good points to being domiciled in NY State. No personal property taxes, and with the various available property and school tax exemptions for seniors, veterans, etc, the taxes on our lakeside cottage on 2 acres in the Adirondacks are only about $1500/year. And our motorhome's weight based registration fee is just $70/year for vehicles over 6951 lbs, although some counties do collect supplemental fees of $5-$25/year in addition to the base fee.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No matter where you reside you're going to pay it one way or another. Here in PA there is no property tax on RV,s or vehicles, just sales tax on the front end. We do enjoy however one of the highest, if not the highest, fuel taxes in the nation.

If you don't like it move somewhere else, you may save a little, you may not. It's the price you pay for having roads to move your RV on, public parks with campgrounds of which most are not self sufficient and depend on general fund dollars, and other infrastructure.

I find your high fuel tax to be ironic because my experience has been that PA has the worst roads of anywhere that I have been. Meanwhile, in my home state of TN we some of the lowest fuel taxes and I belive the best roads of anywhere I go. I admit that I have not been to PA in over 10 years. I hope that roads have gotten better for you there.

While I am here and back to the op's question, TN does not have property tax on vehicles, just a 7.5% sales tax and in my county 30$/year for any private vehicle larger than a motorcycle. Some counties have a "wheel tax" which tacks on an extra $25 per vehicle. We also don't have income tax except for interest and dividends and are phasing out the death tax.

That's what I was going to touch on in my previous post but didn't want to side-track the thread so early. The OP was asking specifically about VA taxes.

Our TN property taxes aren't really that bad depending on the value of your home.
In reference to automobiles, in the city limits we have the wheel tax, so the tag cost is about $106 per year. In the county, it's about $65 for a yearly tag fee.

Mississippi, Arkansas and California, charge a yearly tag fee based on the value of the car. That's why I keep all the cars and coach tagged in TN. Can you imagine what my tag would be on the Liberty? Wow, don't want to think about it.

Anyway, a friend in California had bought a new 2004 RR Phantom and his first tag cost was $3,000 then went down year after year but still high. Yeah, I know people say if you can shell out the bucks for a new RR, you shouldn't complain. When I buy something and pay the sales tax, I just don't like being taxed to death with additional personal tax..... and the roads in California aren't the very best either.

To me, like in Mississippi, charging tax on value hinders new car sales. If a set fee was in place like in TN, I think it would boost new car sales (and newer used car sales) because the cost would be the same if you have a '89 Corsica or a '18 Impala. It keeps the economy moving. Of course, you have to be able to buy the new car.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
No matter where you reside you're going to pay it one way or another. Here in PA there is no property tax on RV,s or vehicles, just sales tax on the front end. We do enjoy however one of the highest, if not the highest, fuel taxes in the nation.

If you don't like it move somewhere else, you may save a little, you may not. It's the price you pay for having roads to move your RV on, public parks with campgrounds of which most are not self sufficient and depend on general fund dollars, and other infrastructure.

I find your high fuel tax to be ironic because my experience has been that PA has the worst roads of anywhere that I have been. Meanwhile, in my home state of TN we some of the lowest fuel taxes and I belive the best roads of anywhere I go. I admit that I have not been to PA in over 10 years. I hope that roads have gotten better for you there.

While I am here and back to the op's question, TN does not have property tax on vehicles, just a 7.5% sales tax and in my county 30$/year for any private vehicle larger than a motorcycle. Some counties have a "wheel tax" which tacks on an extra $25 per vehicle. We also don't have income tax except for interest and dividends and are phasing out the death tax.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
gutfelt wrote:
Micbob4 wrote:

It's now $6.55 for every $100 of appraised value.

that's $13,300.00 on 200K I cant believe theres a person alive out there that would pay that tax

$13K is peanuts for some people.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Micbob4 wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
VA is a serious pain if you own an RV. You don't pay property tax as if it's a house on the ground but you pay Personal Property tax and it is VERY high and VERY expensive. Take a look at the tax tables and you will see just how bad it really is. It's based upon the "book" value of your RV so it only goes down a little every year but it is always VERY expensive. Maybe if you buy a 20 year old coach it won't hurt too much but I seem to remember that it was 3% or 4% of the coach value each year. On a $200,000 coach, that's a lot of money (plus registration).

that's $13,300.00 on 200K I cant believe theres a person alive out there that would pay that tax

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We live in VA and property taxes sucked the life out of us faster the personal property taxes. We moved further south and are only paying a quarter of what we were paying before. Total taxes before the move $7500 - after the move $2000.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:

Totally understand and have absolutely no issue with taxes. Pay well over 30k a year in Federal taxes so I get it. However, there is a limit to which I feel it becomes excessive and in this case it is. Your right that regardless where you go you will pay some form of taxes which is cool. Just needs to be reasonable. Fortunately the county we live will only charge property tax if you store it here. They have no issue if you store it some place else. Prince William county has no property tax so we will store it there. Thanks

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Georgia used to tax you every year when you got your tag but now you pay a one time use/sales tax of 6.7%. At 62 years old, $36K of income tax (6%)/person is free and at 65 it goes to $65K each making GA retirement friendly. Depending on the county, property taxes are very low...$7/1000 dollars of value, BUT in the Atlanta area it can be double that amount.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
one of the places I lived, don't remember where, had an intangible property tax. tax on bank accounts etc.
bumpy

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
Micbob4 wrote:

Wow... that's just unimaginable. It's like having a 6.5% loan on the coach forever. Without even exaggerating, I think I'd consider moving. Certainly once I was retired and spending more on a coach.

I live here and it shocked me to the point I was ready to back out of RV. But decided they are not stopping my family's dream. Worked to hard.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Micbob4 wrote:

Wow... that's just unimaginable. It's like having a 6.5% loan on the coach forever. Without even exaggerating, I think I'd consider moving. Certainly once I was retired and spending more on a coach.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
I didn't know an RV was considered 'property'.

Yeah, we lived in Ks and they considered our TT "Personal property" and taxed us accordingly.

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
VA is a serious pain if you own an RV. You don't pay property tax as if it's a house on the ground but you pay Personal Property tax and it is VERY high and VERY expensive. Take a look at the tax tables and you will see just how bad it really is. It's based upon the "book" value of your RV so it only goes down a little every year but it is always VERY expensive. Maybe if you buy a 20 year old coach it won't hurt too much but I seem to remember that it was 3% or 4% of the coach value each year. On a $200,000 coach, that's a lot of money (plus registration).

Micbob4
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I thought that counties tax rates varied also.
bumpy

Your 100% correct. Spotsylvania is horrible on taxes. However found prince William county has no property tax. The property tax applies if you actually store RV in that county. Meaning I can store RV in prince William and show proof it's there and no property tax. So pay storage fee out of county is a lot cheaper then keeping it at home. Soon as I officially retired moving out of Virginia. LOL