cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purchase decision

Prairie_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
We have narrowed our RV purchase choice down to two....an Itasca Cambria 30J or a Jayco Seneca 37TS, both new models and quite a bit of size difference. Any opinions out there on one vs. another?
We are retired and plan to make many trips to AK and Pacific northwest to visit children. Some winter travel to southern states will also be involved. We plan to tow a vehicle that would be under 5,000 lb. We plan to camp in public lands and not much use of RV parks. Thanks for any opinions.
5 REPLIES 5

Prairie_Wandere
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest concerns about the cambria are the smaller size of the tanks, not much counter space and if the V10 engine will do will towing through the western states. It's price compared to the Seneca is a plus. They both looked to be nice well built coaches. Thanks for your input so far.

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
Let the warranty be the tie breaker... go with the 2 year warranty.
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
When my wife decided that we wanted a MH with more room than our 22RK Coachmen Class C, we both really liked a Lexington 283GTS we looked at, which was similar to the Cambria. It had 3 slide outs.
The more we thought about it, we decided to go with a "regular" wide body C to replace the Coachmen. What we ended up getting, just seemed so much roomier, in both ceiling height and width. I imagine the Cambria and Seneca would give a similar feeling, aside from the difference in length.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
To help you decide on what RV to buy you could go to www.rvknowhow.com and read Joe and Vicki’s suggestions and/or download their e-book `RV Buyers Homework’, which walks you through the process of choosing the best RV for your needs, selecting the right floor plans and features, determining the RV’s cargo-carrying and towing capacities and evaluating its livability. (Nov-Dec Highways, pg. 21)
RVtravel.com and the Better Business Bureau have a DVD that covers the same subject
(http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=710&m=2) and Chuck Woodbury has an ebook with similar advice that can be instantly downloaded from www.rvbookstore.com.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to camp on public land you better check the capacity of your holding tanks for one. Check out the floor plans and storage and if the RV comes with a winter package if you plan to be up north for an extended period of time. Good luck. Happy travels.
See you on the road!