cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about using a tow dolly

4ever16
Explorer
Explorer
I have a front wheel drive auto trans car that I pull on my tow dolly. Question is do I place the trans in park when I am towing the car ? I was told the pin that locks the trans in park will get damaged from the shifting the car does on the dolly. I do stop after I tie the car down to retighten the wheel straps.
Any help will be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
You have more than just toad instructions to think about. It’s also according to what type of dolly you have. There are three types:
1. Swivel dolly wheels with fixed toad plates, like “Demco”
2. Fixed dolly wheels with swivel toad plates, like “Master Tow”
3. Fixed dolly wheels and fixed toad plates, like “Acme”

The first two require that the steering wheel to be locked in place with the transmission in park. The swiveling wheels or plates on the dolly will take care of the turning.

The last one you must leave the ignition on so that the steering wheel will turn thus allowing the front wheels to turn with the toad to do the swiveling.

In all cases you MUST check with the toad’s manufacturer for dolly towing instructions as these change with the manufacturer and vehicle model.

A few on this forum have complained about dolly wheel straps coming loose on the road. If they are strapped down as some dolly manufacturers recommend this can happen but with a slight modification in strapping instructions it will never happen. Send me a private message if you want the modification info.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

nelson
Explorer
Explorer
I towed with a dolly for years and many different vehicles always in park. never had an issue.
2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
vtbigdog wrote:
If you are worried about the parking pawl, you may want to drive up onto the dolly, lock the emergency brake, secure the tire straps securely and then place the vehicle into park. If the straps are tight enough there is will be little if any pressure on the pawl.

If you do this make sure you release the parking brake when it's done. Otherwise you'll be dragging your rear tires around. We put ours in park. If you strap it tightly there should not be any movement. But whatever your manual says. Personally I don't think I'd want to rely on straps alone to hold it on.
2013 ACE 29.2

vtbig
Explorer
Explorer
If you are worried about the parking pawl, you may want to drive up onto the dolly, lock the emergency brake, secure the tire straps securely and then place the vehicle into park. If the straps are tight enough there is will be little if any pressure on the pawl.
Richard

2003 Safari Trek 3011
8.1 Workhorse/Allison

Edward_75
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Hyundai on a dolly in park brake off.Have towed many miles with no problems

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
Do check your owner's manual, but most cars should be placed in park with the front wheels secured on the dolly. If the car is properly secured it will not move enough for the parking pawl (in the transmission) to be an issue. I towed an automatic Toyota Camry on a dolly, in park, hand brake OFF! for many miles with no issues whatsoever.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
My car had to be in PARK, but every car is different. Check the owner's manual under RECREATIONAL TOWING or similar heading.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

inky
Explorer
Explorer
Check your owners manual. Roadmaster manual says tow it in park.

Joe

mscamping
Explorer
Explorer
What does the directions say?? If I remember right, we did put our Lumina in neutral and then tied it down.. We couldn't put the parking brake on because it was on the back wheels.. I did have a large rope with safety hooks that I hooked on the dolly and on the frame of the car just in case.. Mike Mathews..

PS: I stand corrected, I found our old instructions.. It says to pull upon the doll until you're in between the chocks(against the stops)(there's a picture), apply the parking brake leave it in neutral, tie it down securely, then put the shifter into park and release the parking brake.. Stop and check the tie down straps at 100 miles..
2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune 36 PBD - ISB 300 Cummins- Allison MH2000 5 speed
2013 Equinox w/Blue Ox Aventa II & SMI Stay-n-Play Duo
FMCA 331658 HRRVC 105155 Chapter - 57- Good Sam Life Member - Coach Net - 3/4 timers
Mike & Sharon