cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on fuel consumed by our generator AND ??

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
While camping at Sebastian Inlet we could always run our generator during the day to help keep the coach cooler & we are curious how much gas it will burn per hour or per eight hours, or whatever time unit ?
Our generator is an Onan 7.0 KW
Our front a/c unit is a high profile w/heat pump
Our rear a/c unit is a standard high profile high efficiency unit
Our unit is about 32' long.

And, can we run the generator while plugged into the available shore power plug in pole ? Or should we unplug our unit from the pole before starting our generator ?

Thanks for your comments & or suggestions

Bill & Marilyn !!
Bill in sunny Ormond by the Sea FL
2014 31'SA Allegro Open Road
55 REPLIES 55

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like I said earlier...run the front A/C when you're up and the rear when you retire for the evening. You won't even need your generator. I don't spend 24/7 in my coach....we're in the Keys right now and it's comfortable sitting outside with just a fan on...IMHO, you're over thinking this.....go enjoy the beach, your time and your family there....it's only money....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
wtfjr wrote:

Any way you look at it, this running the genny will not be an inexpensive thing to do.

Let's see...gas is currently $3.79 at Melborne. $3.79 @ .4/hr comes to about $1.50 worth of gas each hour, or a third of a cup of java from Starbucks....I fail to see where your issue comes in. I'd sacrifice that cup of Joe for three hours of being comfortable...:W.....just sayin....Dennis

Thanks for your input.
Gas in Melbourne is closer to $3.29 per gallon & my spec sheet from Onan says that I will burn .7 of a gallon per hour with a half load which comes out to $2.30 per hour for say 12 hours comes out to about $28 for each 12 hour period, times our 14 day stay & you are close to $400 not counting the many trips to the gas station to fill the 5 gal cans. That is really a bit more than I'd spend for coffee anywhere & any day.
Then comes the night when you are not allowed to run any generators & we get really warm ?
Not a nice picture.......

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wtfjr wrote:

Any way you look at it, this running the genny will not be an inexpensive thing to do.

Let's see...gas is currently $3.79 at Melborne. $3.79 @ .4/hr comes to about $1.50 worth of gas each hour, or a third of a cup of java from Starbucks....I fail to see where your issue comes in. I'd sacrifice that cup of Joe for three hours of being comfortable...:W.....just sayin....Dennis

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:
wtfjr wrote:
mci7 wrote:
Still the question WHY do you want to run the generator while plugged into the post ?
IF it is to try to run both A/C units, 1 from genset and 1 from the post, that is stupid at best, would guess an different tactic.
Seems the gasoline usage is a large issue, with all the campers you have purchased, money would not be an issue.
If you were at a suitable rv park, they would have 50 amp service I would ASSUME.

At best the max power offered at Sebastian is 30 amps.
Our last two trips there we had to leave early due to their "brown outs".
And all the time there we run only one a/c unit, water heater is on gas as needed.
If their power browns out this time we'd like to stay our booked two weeks & that will explain why we'd like to run the generator. So we have at least one a/c unit & the residential refrig to run.
Can you offer any better alternatives ?

Yes, provide that information in the first place.

Yes I am aware of that.
I was replying to the questions asked by mci7.

Bill in FL

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
wtfjr wrote:
mci7 wrote:
Still the question WHY do you want to run the generator while plugged into the post ?
IF it is to try to run both A/C units, 1 from genset and 1 from the post, that is stupid at best, would guess an different tactic.
Seems the gasoline usage is a large issue, with all the campers you have purchased, money would not be an issue.
If you were at a suitable rv park, they would have 50 amp service I would ASSUME.

And all the time there we run only one a/c unit, water heater is on gas as needed.
If their power browns out this time we'd like to stay our booked two weeks & that will explain why we'd like to run the generator. So we have at least one a/c unit & the residential refrig to run.

Yes, provide that information in the first place.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Well, Just maybe it is time to find a better camp ground that has proper electrical service, I have low tolerance for crappy campgrounds.
A year ago, I was in a crappy RV park in Murdo SD, could not run 1 a/c, AC voltage was 108 and kept tripping the 30 amp breaker, so I pulled out AFTER they gave me a refund. Was not hooked up for more than 2 minutes, went down the road to a very nice KOA in Belevedere SD that had good 50 amp service.
So, you should do what ever makes you smile.
Dave M
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
wtfjr wrote:

No troll here !
Just trying to learn about fuel consumption of out generator & what it may cost to run it when needed.
What the heck is a TROLL ?

IF you don't know what a TROLL is, how do you know you're NOT one....:h:h:h.....Dennis

mci7
Explorer
Explorer
Dave M
Central Virginia
Had MCI Conversion 20+ yrs
Presently 2001 Foretravel w/ISM500
Usual Toad 2004 F150 Ford w/Can Am 800 Max

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:
More real world experience here:

-at 15 minutes running a gasoline generator...neighbors politely ask you to turn it off.

-at 30 minutes, CO detectors at your adjoining campsites start to alarm.

-at 1 hour park rangers knock on your door and politely remind you that your power connection is the appropriate electrical source to power your air conditioners and other applicances.

-at 1 hour and 30 minutes, we just all go over and turn the damn thing off.

-at this point you have consumed < two gallons of fuel and generated huge amounts of animosity and carbon monoxide.

This is obviously a troll thread...no one runs a generator in a Florida state park with 30 amp service.

No troll here !
Just trying to learn about fuel consumption of out generator & what it may cost to run it when needed.
What the heck is a TROLL ?

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
More real world experience here:

-at 15 minutes running a gasoline generator...neighbors politely ask you to turn it off.

-at 30 minutes, CO detectors at your adjoining campsites start to alarm.

-at 1 hour park rangers knock on your door and politely remind you that your power connection is the appropriate electrical source to power your air conditioners and other applicances.

-at 1 hour and 30 minutes, we just all go over and turn the damn thing off.

-at this point you have consumed < two gallons of fuel and generated huge amounts of animosity and carbon monoxide.

This is obviously a troll thread...no one runs a generator in a Florida state park with 30 amp service.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

et2
Explorer
Explorer
wtfjr wrote:
et2 wrote:
The actual fuel burn has been posted to this unit. If anyone wants to follow the links provided you can obtain this same information for any of your Onan generators.

Here it is again for those who want to verify the information.

http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerWeb/navigation.do?pageId=521

I had to guess at my model number but it looks close & the site you provided said .4 gal with no load & then .7 with a half a load.
We have done fine before with an older Class A but for some reason this one does present us with this power problem.
Thanks for your input !

You're welcome. Even boosting It in your calculations a little like .5 & .8 would give you some wiggle room.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
mci7 wrote:
Et,
Good data, But the numbers I listed are the "Real World numbers" The factory specs are good, showing min - max fuel consumption numbers. I thought the info asked for was what is the real world hourly fuel burn. Sorry to be a PITA, just thought real facts were looked for.
Cheers
Dave M

And I bet that everyone has real world experience with theirs as we've seen in this post. Many are different. The manufacture I'm sure has posted these numbers as the most efficient data to be used for consideration of what to expect. They are all within proximity of each. I would lean towards published manufactures information and raise it a bit to be on the safe side. It really isn't rocket science.

But one thing not mentioned is don't run your gas tank below a 1/4 of a tank because you'll run your generator dry of fuel. Most MH's have this feature so you don't strand yourself in a campground using all the fuel running the generator.

wtfjr
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
The actual fuel burn has been posted to this unit. If anyone wants to follow the links provided you can obtain this same information for any of your Onan generators.

Here it is again for those who want to verify the information.

http://power.cummins.com/onanpowerWeb/navigation.do?pageId=521

I had to guess at my model number but it looks close & the site you provided said .4 gal with no load & then .7 with a half a load.
We have done fine before with an older Class A but for some reason this one does present us with this power problem.
Thanks for your input !