cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on getting DEF

alkillion
Explorer
Explorer
For all you diesel drivers, where do you fill your DEF tank? Do most of the diesel lanes have DEF too? Is it a pump like fuel or some other device?

As you might have guessed, I haven't refueled my new rig yet.

Thanks for all the great input.
May the Forza be with us!
2014 Winnebago Forza 34T
340 hp Cummins
Allison 6 speed
2006 Jeep Wrangler toad
18 REPLIES 18

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Ford and GM started using DEF in the 2011 model year, Dodge begin with the 2013 model. I think most over the road trucks begin using DEF in 2011 models also.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
So since I have a DP and I've never heard of DEF, I assume this means I don't have a DEF tank?

Nope, you are two EPA "generations" before DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) which is an after treatment (NOT mixed with diesel fuel or oil).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
So since I have a DP and I've never heard of DEF, I assume this means I don't have a DEF tank?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
How DEF works
DEF tanks are mounted on the drivers side of semi's this will probably become the standard on RV's and pickups.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

GraciesDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
Look up Pilot/Flying J and it lists all of them in the R column along with diesel & gas.

Here's the link to their RV Travel Guide. It's quite handy in listing the "DEF at the pump" for their stops.

Here's a link to their RV Rewards Card page. Upon further investigation, the discounts are: $0.02 discount off each gallon of gasoline, $0.03 discount off each gallon of diesel, $0.10 discount off each gallon of propane fuel, $5 off dumping fee (regularly $10.)FYI: The gas/diesel discounts are NOT applied in Wisconsin (insert foul language about Scott Walker here). Some you have to use the card at the pump to get the discount, others you can just give the card to the cashier and they apply the discount when they ring it up.

General note: As I understand it, Newmar has installed fuel fillers on BOTH SIDES of their high-end (KA, MA, Essex, Ventana) coaches. Now, all you need to concern yourself with is that pesky tail swing! 😉
Watch your tail swing... Keep the greasy side down and keep it 'tweeeeeeeeen the ditches, Y'all!

John E. Baker, III & Sally Baker - The Traveling Siblings!
Co-pilots: Llasah Lilly, Brown Daschie Chloe and Tuxedo Foots

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
What is DEF?

DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is a added to the exhaust system to eliminate pollution. We have the particulate filter on ours as it's a 2008. I think in 2010 is when the manufacturers started adding the DEF tanks.

Word on the street is that they get better performance from the engine with DEF vs. the particulate filter like I have. Mine will go through a regeneration cycle about once every 10,000 miles. Mine (if I understand it correctly) will spray fuel on the particulate that has accumulated, it will heat up, then burn off.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
What is DEF?
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Look up Pilot/Flying J and it lists all of them in the R column along with diesel & gas.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
J Walker wrote:
What is the price of DEF from the pump at a truck stop?

About $2.79 per gallon.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

J_Walker
Explorer
Explorer
What is the price of DEF from the pump at a truck stop?
Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I try to use the DEF pump at truck stops, much cheaper. I drive in with the big rigs because it is not at the other diesel pumps.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

WILDEBILL
Explorer
Explorer
alkillion wrote:
For all you diesel drivers, where do you fill your DEF tank? Do most of the diesel lanes have DEF too? Is it a pump like fuel or some other device?

As you might have guessed, I haven't refueled my new rig yet.

Thanks for all the great input.

Hear is a link to more info on Def.
http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

Bill

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
DEF is also sold at heavy duty truck dealerships and farm equipment dealerships in convenient square jugs at good prices.

WILDEBILL
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
As you haven't filled up yet, be sure to visit a truck stop's diesel lanes when it is time.
Nuttin like seeing the dollar signs fly pumping with a pair of high flow diesel hoses!

Those large diameter nozzles on the truck lanes run fast enough I haven't felt the need to run 2 at once but the max I have ever put in is 70 gal. That is still enough to give you a twinge in the wallet.