cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

re-caulking windows

alogo4u
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that have taken the time to re caulk your RV windows did you remove the window frames or just re caulk along the outside edging? Thanks for your input.
"Exploring America...One mile at a time"

John:B

2003 Four Winds
Hurricane 30Q
Roadmaster tow dolly
12 REPLIES 12

spritz_55423
Explorer
Explorer
After waxing my MH last week, I took the drain covers off the windows and noticed that they were clogged so I ran a piece of ceiling hanging wire from one side to the other and then blew out with a air hose. You would not believe what came out. They are aluminum windows and I waxed them too and came out looking like new. I am glad I did because Friday night we got 2 inches of rain, Sat night 1 1/2 inches and 1/2 inch last night and there is no standing water in the track. No roof leaks either. 31 year old MH It pay's to keep up on everything.

JimMartin
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the aluminum window frames on the inside of my RV. Used about one tube of caulk per window, and sealed all around each window. Then I reinstalled the frames. Also put a bead of clear caulk around the top of the windows on the out side. 1997 RV has no leaks now!!
2003 Georgie Boy Pursuit 35', V10 F53 Chassis

jonbushsr
Explorer
Explorer
X2.

Got the tape from Camping World.

Jon
92 Ultrastar
5.9 Cummins, MC16-FD

MountainAir05 wrote:
I just removed them, don't have much to clean up if it comes out. I used the butyl tape in a roll from Lowes.
Jon
1992 Ultrastar 339 TB
5.9 Cummins, MC16-FD Oshkosh

jvander
Explorer
Explorer
I would highly recommend removing the windows and replacing whatever sealing they used with butyl tape. This will get you much a better seal than just a bead of caulk around the outside (which you can add anyway, if you want), and also it is a great opportunity to check for water damage.
On my rig I took the windows out and found that 2-3 had been leaking since they were installed because Coachmen didn't install the foam rubber tape correctly. After replacing the window a pizza cutter works great to slice off the extra butyl. You can even run the pizza cutter at an angle to bevel the butyl to shed water better.
1993 Coachmen Catalina 31'
For Sale! $10k, PM me for details

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Clear silicone has always worked for me. Even the cheap stuff does a fine job.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
dalmationlovers wrote:
On my first 2 RV's I did that but on my current 2003 I just scrapped away the old and resealed with new
2003 and you are resealing the windows? wow.
IRV2

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is almost 20 years old. I had no leaks but just for PM I put a small bead of clear around all tops and sides of every window a couple of years ago and still no problems and you can't even see the caulk.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the silicone along the top as much as I could and recaulked w/ silicone and that stopped the leaks.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

Cybergrunt
Nomad
Nomad
Removed the old caulk, cleaned it all up, applied new caulk.
2021 Forest River Wildwood Heritage Glen 24RLHL: 810-825# TW, ~7500# GVW
2020 F-250 XLT Super Duty SRW: 7.3 V8 gasser, 3.55, 10spd

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Have to admit when the small window above sink started leaking and I got the quote and time to take it out......I put clear silicone around the edge on the outside. Can't see it and several years later no leaks.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Go_Dawgs1
Explorer
Explorer
On my first 2 RV's I did that but on my current 2003 I just scrapped away the old and resealed with new
2004 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 Dually
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just removed them, don't have much to clean up if it comes out. I used the butyl tape in a roll from Lowes.