cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ReadyBrake Failure Coupler

DrifterRV
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with Coupler on this tow bar system that loosened up and made the vehicle wander and jerk making noise, so I called the company and they said that some of there units had bad parts and that they had revised and fixed the problems but would not replace the parts under there lifetime warranty. So buyer beware, the new style coupler cost over 400.00.
Mike & Sharon
37 REPLIES 37

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
My take was that he wanted the parts sent to him, but I could be wrong. In any event, it now appears there was a communications breakdown somewhere along the way...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Here is what the OP said in his first post:
I had a problem with Coupler on this tow bar system that loosened up and made the vehicle wander and jerk making noise, so I called the company and they said that some of there units had bad parts and that they had revised and fixed the problems but would not replace the parts under there lifetime warranty. So buyer beware, the new style coupler cost over 400.00.

I guess I failed to read where the OP said that he wanted the parts sent to him for him to replace. It seems clear to me that he said that they told him they would not replace the bad parts but would provide him with a new coupler for $400.
That's what I got from what he said too.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Someone is not telling the whole story and I will wait to hear from the OP to see if the company has reversed it's previous decision not to honor it's lifetime warranty.

As Tod stated, the lifetime warranty requires shipping the unit back to NSA for repair. The OP wants the repair parts shipped to him instead, which is not covered by the warranty. It does sound like there has been a miscommunication though, so hopefully the OP will call as Tod requested, and they will reach a mutually acceptable resolution.

Here is what the OP said in his first post:

I guess I failed to read where the OP said that he wanted the parts sent to him for him to replace. It seems clear to me that he said that they told him they would not replace the bad parts but would provide him with a new coupler for $400.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
As a satisfied customer, I found this story to be a bit questionable. Now that the manufacturer took the time to clarify, it all makes sense. Given the huge liability involved, I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer of a critical safety device would be willing to ship warranty parts, at no cost, for a customer to repair. Try stopping by your local Chevy dealer, and tell them that your new truck needs an ABS controller, and you will be taking one with you, for no change, since you want to do the work yourself. Good luck on getting that, since that's not happening either.

OTOH, I just got a few parts, last week, from Tod at NSA. I moved my set-up from one CRV to a newer one, and wanted to replace the brake and E-brake cables. The parts were reasonably priced, and I got them, half way across the country, in two days, for no extra charge. I asked Tod about my fairly worn tow bar set-up, and the process of having it rebuilt. He made it clear that, as an original owner of the product I just needed to get it there, and they would rebuild it for free.

Congratulations on the few who questioned NSA's integrity without the facts.
Nice work.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:

Someone is not telling the whole story and I will wait to hear from the OP to see if the company has reversed it's previous decision not to honor it's lifetime warranty.

As Tod stated, the lifetime warranty requires shipping the unit back to NSA for repair. The OP wants the repair parts shipped to him instead, which is not covered by the warranty. It does sound like there has been a miscommunication though, so hopefully the OP will call as Tod requested, and they will reach a mutually acceptable resolution.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I went with BLUE-OX 15 years ago. Had 1 problem at the 12 year mark and they sent me a new base plate for my Liberty without a hitch.
Ya get what ya pay for whether its parts or customer service.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank you NSA for the clarification. I too am a happy ReadyBrake user, and with my new motorhome I purchased replacement cables from NSA to install in the new towcar. (new car new cables, just seemed like a good idea). I found the gal at NSA most helpful when making the purchase.
Again, thank you for your public reply. I trust your customer, the originator of the post, will work with NSA to reach a reasonable outcome.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
t&swest wrote:
Hello Everyone.
I am the owner of NSA RV Products Inc.
I just read what this man put on here about our product.

(I had a problem with Coupler on this tow bar system that loosened up and made the vehicle wander and jerk making noise, so I called the company and they said that some of there units had bad parts and that they had revised and fixed the problems but would not replace the parts under there lifetime warranty. So buyer beware, the new style coupler cost over 400.00.)

I know what he is talking about our older version of (U-Joints Coupler) for our tow bars. After about 6 years might get a little wore. That is why we tell our customers to send us the unit and we will fix it for free. That is the lifetime guarantee for the first owner of our products.
As to the $400 yes to replace the head of our Ready Brute Elite tow bar which is all of the front part that fits into your motorhome receiver. But it includes our supplemental brake system the (Ready Brake)to replace all of this would be over $400. But that is not necessary. I think this is a huge misunderstanding. (Please call in and ask for Tod the owner) 620-365-7714
Have a good day everyone.

Unless the OP is lying, he says that he did call in and was told by SOMEONE that you would not replace the parts. Someone is not telling the whole story and I will wait to hear from the OP to see if the company has reversed it's previous decision not to honor it's lifetime warranty.

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
t&swest

As a satisfied owner of a Ready Brake tow bar, thank you for clarifying this issue.

t_swest
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone.
I am the owner of NSA RV Products Inc.
I just read what this man put on here about our product.

(I had a problem with Coupler on this tow bar system that loosened up and made the vehicle wander and jerk making noise, so I called the company and they said that some of there units had bad parts and that they had revised and fixed the problems but would not replace the parts under there lifetime warranty. So buyer beware, the new style coupler cost over 400.00.)

I know what he is talking about our older version of (U-Joints Coupler) for our tow bars. After about 6 years might get a little wore. That is why we tell our customers to send us the unit and we will fix it for free. That is the lifetime guarantee for the first owner of our products.
As to the $400 yes to replace the head of our Ready Brute Elite tow bar which is all of the front part that fits into your motorhome receiver. But it includes our supplemental brake system the (Ready Brake)to replace all of this would be over $400. But that is not necessary. I think this is a huge misunderstanding. (Please call in and ask for Tod the owner) 620-365-7714
Have a good day everyone.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Having once had a baseplate fail and watched my Saturn slowly pass by my motorhome (luckily on a back road with no traffic at the time) I would not take a chance. Personally, since I like the ReadyBrake, I would have NSA send out the new piece ASAP. Then I would document the problem with the old piece, and again request a refund. If an agreeable settlement can't be reached, I would write to the NTSB, the Motorhome Magazine Hot line, FMCA hot line, and anyone who will listen, and perhaps look for a small claims settlement. (difficult because of state lines). But most important, get yourself safe so you can continue to have fun.

DrifterRV
Explorer
Explorer
The picture is the later version, the older version is a two peace connected with large bolt, washers and Nylock nut that is pinned. The bolt, nut, washers and Nylon spacers were also fine but the Aluminum couplers were having metal fatigue.
Mike & Sharon

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
If that pivot fails, you better hope your safety chains are up to the task and secured good.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

RichNewcome
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about the swivel joint between the arms and the brake unit?

DrifterRV
Explorer
Explorer
The tow Bar is the ready Brut Elite with a Demco base plate purchased new form NSA I'm they original owner. They very nice and I like the unit but they will not replace parts under any warranty. The coupler that connects between ready brake and ready Brut tow Bar Failed.
Mike & Sharon