cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear Camera

BairdBlue
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a camera for the FR sunseeker, I want to beable to see my tow car when I am driving, not just a back up camera.
11 REPLIES 11

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Greyhawk came with a backup camera. It is wired into the dash radio. It comes on when the transmission is in reverse, but can be turned on through the radio. Ours has a mic as well, which really makes parking nice because I can hear my co-pilot without her having to shout, when she is at the back of the camper.

Ours is at the top of the camper pointed down, so it doesn't see the entire toad, but it does see the most important part, where it connects to the tow bar. I haven't checked to see if it is adjustable or not, but I know some are. The manual for our camera did say not to leave it on all the time because the camera isn't designed for continuous use.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

mussfly55
Explorer
Explorer
saw this posting and i would like to let you know of one brand called boyo which i have used their camera and also the mirror monitor which i find to work ok as a rear view camera which is turned on with the ing. . plus i also have it hooked up to run with my good sam gps.
i did some research on wired vs. wireless and asked different dealers and there was not a one that suggested going wireless and from what they told me is that the faster you go the less signal you get to your monitor and i got the same answer from 6 different dealers so i went with a wired unit and it has been working great.
i ran the wire along the frame inside a cable housing i got at harbor freight which was a pain but you go figure it's once and done.

Ppd153
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Peak PKC0RG back-up camera so I can view my trailer or scooter while driving. It works well and mounts to the rear license plate. It is supposed to be wired to the back-up lights but I wired mine to a toggle on the dash so I can turn it off and on when I choose. I had to place the wireless transmitter under the dash to avoid interference. It works just as I had anticipated.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I was thinking about getting one of these dash cams, and not only see what is behind me, but record it on a 32 GB SD Card.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1958078190.html

Oooooooooooooooooooooo - that's cool!!!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about getting one of these dash cams, and not only see what is behind me, but record it on a 32 GB SD Card.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1958078190.html

And I figure if someone stopped in front of me on the freeway for no reason, it can record that too!

Most back up cameras also have a switch to turn it on all the time - when desired.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
The Logans wrote:
One thing to remember (don't ask me how I know)...

The inexpensive "back-up" camera's are not intended for continuous duty and will, I'm told, burn out if left on too long. That's why those cheap camera's are wired into the reverse (back-up lights) power source.

Mine has already gone out once, and I was amazed how tiny that the actual camera is... about the size of a nickle.

When finances permit, I'm going to get an actual rear view camera.

Ah! Good to know - I may wire up a switch in the cab then. I too want to be able to flip it on when I need to change lanes.

I'm told tossing the vehicle in 'R' when doing 70mph on the freeway is a bad idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

Or, another idea. Wire it to the tail light circuit & simple drive with your headlights on. Turn them off when you don't need it. :B
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

tred0956
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Rear View Safety camera I bought from Costco, wired to be on whenever the ignition key is on. Works great, camera is high on back of class C so I can see my bikes on the hitch rack as well as the road behind me. I also like having it on all the time so I can see traffic behind me when passing or being passed, the wide angle lens helps me see to the side quite well also.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
The Logans wrote:

The inexpensive "back-up" camera's are not intended for continuous duty and will, I'm told, burn out if left on too long. That's why those cheap camera's are wired into the reverse (back-up lights) power source.

Mine has already gone out once, and I was amazed how tiny that the actual camera is... about the size of a nickle.

Ah! Good to know - I may wire up a switch in the cab then. I too want to be able to flip it on when I need to change lanes.

I'm told tossing the vehicle in 'R' when doing 70mph on the freeway is a bad idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer

Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed - I've ordered and received but not installed an inexpensive wireless backup camera from eBay. I've powered it up to test it. There's a 12V black wire for power and, in my case, a blue wire that connects to your "backup circuit".

If you tap this blue wire onto the backup light blub, then the camera powers on when you're in reverse.

I plan on simply tying the blue wire to the same 12V black wire. Thus the camera will always be on.

YMMV.
Good luck!

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Most rear cameras have a "sense" wire that is connected to the back up light circuit. If you connect it to a hot source, the camera will be on all the time. Or, use a switch so you can turn it on/off when you want...