cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommendations for a new trailer.

Gibby_007
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys looking for tips, we have never owned a travel trailer that wasn't parked in a park. Anyhow we would like to tour around a little more.

Family consists of myself , wife , 2 year old , another should be here next year....and a dog. We will be towing it with a 2016 Pathfinder SL that has a tow package.

We are figuring something with bunk beds and another bed for us. From all the looking I've been doing my top pick so far is the 2018 Apex Nano 193BHS. We like the slide to make it wider and the bunks are key. Any other advice or recommendations on others would be so greatly appreciated.

Thx. Sean
12 REPLIES 12

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Great choice!

Gibby_007
Explorer
Explorer
Step 1 complete campers, Pathfinder gone. 2017 F-150 with 3.5 Eco boost in my driveway. Max Tow 11,100 lbs. ????????

Gibby_007
Explorer
Explorer
No it's exactly what I need to hear ...my families safety is paramount. Thanks for all the help considering I posted this in the wrong section. I'm not considering a hybrid trailer or something of the sorts.....

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Better to find out now than later.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think this is what new member Gibby wanted to hear from us.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
New Pathfinders are Unibody construction, and not as good for towing as the old Body on Frame.
Plus the Pathfinder is too short for your desired trailer, and I agree, you should stay under 20' total length.
I dont think you will find a trailer that fits your needs that the Pathfinder can tow safely.
You need a new tow vehicle.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Biggest problem I see is the hitch weight, 406 lbs dry. When you add LP, battery, etc it could easily be 550 lbs. if the fresh water tank is under that front bed and you fill it, more like 650 lbs. Oh, and for a 22' TT you will want a good sway control hitch like Equal-i-zer oe Reese Dual Cam... add another 90 lbs for that hitch.

Nope. Find a TT with less than 350 lb dry hitch and under 20', then you can get by with a simple friction sway bar, and although the rear end will sag you could be ok.

BTW I towed 140k miles with a 2008 Highlander, which is similar to the Pathfinder, but max trailer length was 17' and max hitch weight 425 lbs loaded.

Take a look at KZ Sportsmen Classic 150bh or similar. If Whitby is in Ontario, look for a used Taylor Coach.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure that setup will work weight wise

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
Does the Pathfinder offer a transmission cooler? If not, towing will reduce the life on it quickly. You also need towing mirrors as well.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
You would get more help if you posted in the Travel Trailer forum, instead of the Class B forum.

I think the 2016 Pathfinder tow capacity is 5,000 lbs, so you want to stay around 4,000 lbs for a fully loaded trailer.
Looks like the trailer gvwr is 4,600 lbs. so you are at about the max for the Nissan.
You will have to watch you're weights pretty close..
It's not just what you can tow, it's what you can tow safely. I like to stay about 20% below my tv max capacity. My 2011 V8 Pathfinder's tc is 7,000 lbs, and I want to stay around 5,600 Ibs towing.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
So the 3 things we need to know are;
Unladen weight of vehicle
Gross vehicle weight rating
Tow capacity
While your tow rating may be adequate you will probably run out of GVWR before you get to the maximum tow capacity.
This info can be found on a sticker on the vehicle driver side door area
A quick check shows an unladen weight of about 4350 lbs and a GVWR of about 5990 so that give a cargo capacity of about 1640 lbs. So now add your weight, wife's weight, child, dog and anything else you plan to carry in the vehicle. subtract that from your cargo capacity and you have an approximation of the tongue weight your car can handle. Tongue weight is between 10 and 15 percent of trailer weight/ the trailer you have in ind has a hitch weight of about 465 lbs unladen (as you put stuff in the trailer the hitch weight should increase)so you are good to go as far as towing is concerned.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is Pathfinder's payload, max tow and max weight at hitch? Wheel base is? I'm not a fan of single axel trailers...and you won't be when a tire blows. Black and grey tanks good at 30 gallons each not so with fresh water. Thirty isn't enough for four dry camping.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad