cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reflectix on window, long-term?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I want to block the rear window that's over the bed, in the rear corner of my motorhome. Is there any issue with fastening bubble layered Reflectix to the inside, and leaving it there indefinitely?

My main concern is excessive heat buildup between the Reflectix and the window, that could crack the window. The plan is to block up this window, remove the valance and shade, and install a faux headboard across the wall above the bed. I don't want heat buildup between the headboard and window, thus the Reflectix.

I like to sit up in bed to read or work on a laptop, and the window and shade are just a big nuisance. There is another large window on the side, so there will be plenty of light remaining.

If not Reflectix, what else would work that would look decent from the outside, and block incoming heat effectively?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board
19 REPLIES 19

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
coolmon42,

Put the reflectrix on the outside of the window.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
To my understanding the excessive heat is not good for everything that seals the window. I have foam board in my windows. Put the foil to the outside. Posted it here and several old school fellas said to flip it around. Dont put the foil to the outside. I listened to them, but i didnt follow the advice. So maybe i listened to Hendrix, but did i hear him? (white men cant jump joke)

Flyfisherman128
Explorer
Explorer
Why any builder thinks you need 2 huge windows by a bed

Its so when your arm hits the blinds in the middle of the night, your wife knows it

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Heat buildup from the Reflectix won't be any problem at all. Heating glass leads to cracking mainly if it's not even, or if the glass is mounted in such a way that it cannot expand or contract sufficiently to take up the stresses; and in any case, the Reflectix won't cause the glass to be noticeably warmer than if the window were covered with, say, a typical curtain.

If the window in question is an emergency exit window, you oughtn't block it such that you cannot escape quickly in the event of a fire or similar problem.

Thanks!

The exit window is the other one beside the bed.

Why any builder thinks you need 2 huge windows by a bed, is beyond me.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heat buildup from the Reflectix won't be any problem at all. Heating glass leads to cracking mainly if it's not even, or if the glass is mounted in such a way that it cannot expand or contract sufficiently to take up the stresses; and in any case, the Reflectix won't cause the glass to be noticeably warmer than if the window were covered with, say, a typical curtain.

If the window in question is an emergency exit window, you oughtn't block it such that you cannot escape quickly in the event of a fire or similar problem.