cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Registering Class B in Indiana-Van or RV?

IndyTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We are close to taking possession of a GWV Legend EX Class B Sprinter RV... or is it a VAN? Called the local Indiana BMV to get info on documents needed to register and was told we have a CHOICE to register as either a Passenger Vehicle or RV. Way cheaper to register as a Passenger Vehicle (yearly excise tax) than to register as an RV.
Question 1: Any INDIANA Class B owners who can give us insight as to which way they registered and why (pros/cons?)
Question 2: are there considerations other than excise tax that would make registration as either a Passenger Vehicle or RV the better choice?

Thank you in advance for your help!
10 REPLIES 10

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
IndyTraveler wrote:
BudJ and retraite: good questions and mostly what we've asked ourselves and others.
To Register as either RV or van appears to be based on the GWV beginning as a VAN. Saves money on annual excise tax so sounds good, but at BMV they have to do a VIN inspection which we assume means eyeballing the vehicle itself but we don't know that for sure... but only thing that makes sense to us.

If they do actually look at the rig, they may say nope, it's an RV so no choice. So far, we're just going off what we were told over the phone. But we will keep everyone updated once we take possession and go through the actual experience.

BTW: it's a new rig, we don't want a vanity plate, we plan (hope) to drive it all over the USA and Canada (to get to Alaska), our county regs and HOA don't allow RVs parked on the street for more than 24-36 hours, and the insurance company says they'll insure it as an RV regardless of how it's registered with the state. (Even with the HOA restrictions, the rig is too big to park in our driveway so we wouldn't want to keep it on the street. We've rented a nearby storage unit for it). What makes us comfy is knowing we've done it right so we don't get ticketed, fined,or looked askance by Big Brother.

We're excited to get our GWV and start traveling. Maybe we'll see ya'll on the road!

Indiana is fairly easy on registering however you want. The biggest problem is if it sits the zoning people get stuffy. Depending on your county (I'm assuming Marion and you're in Indy) a passenger vehicle cannot sit more then 20 days without moving. RV's are usually exempt. Now, I'm about as far from you as you can get and stay in the state. However, you're going to be traveling and some traffic restrictions can really hammer you across the country. I remember years ago the comdeian Jerry Clower was given a recliner chair. He tossed it in the back of his El Camino and was ticketed on the Blue Ridge Parkway as commercial vehicles were forbidden. An RV gets better treatment. Think of what would happen to a states tourism industry if someone posted here that they had gotten bad treatment by a locality?

I bought a class B about a month ago and there was no question about the plates. I went with RV plates so if it sits for a bit, no big deal. Granted, I don't have an HOA to deal with. I pay my mortgage and taxes and, within reason, do what I want with my house.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

IndyTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ and retraite: good questions and mostly what we've asked ourselves and others.
To Register as either RV or van appears to be based on the GWV beginning as a VAN. Saves money on annual excise tax so sounds good, but at BMV they have to do a VIN inspection which we assume means eyeballing the vehicle itself but we don't know that for sure... but only thing that makes sense to us.

If they do actually look at the rig, they may say nope, it's an RV so no choice. So far, we're just going off what we were told over the phone. But we will keep everyone updated once we take possession and go through the actual experience.

BTW: it's a new rig, we don't want a vanity plate, we plan (hope) to drive it all over the USA and Canada (to get to Alaska), our county regs and HOA don't allow RVs parked on the street for more than 24-36 hours, and the insurance company says they'll insure it as an RV regardless of how it's registered with the state. (Even with the HOA restrictions, the rig is too big to park in our driveway so we wouldn't want to keep it on the street. We've rented a nearby storage unit for it). What makes us comfy is knowing we've done it right so we don't get ticketed, fined,or looked askance by Big Brother.

We're excited to get our GWV and start traveling. Maybe we'll see ya'll on the road!

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Here would be my list of questions.

1. What are my options as to how to register it? (In our case it was either a truck or a "mpv - multi purpose vehicle, a "state DMV definition.) If it's new, then all you should need is the MCO (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin) and the bill of sale, maybe a mileage statement (depends on the state), and, of course, your checkbook. If it's used, then the prior owner's endorsed title, maybe an inspection certificate, the bill of sale, a mileage statement, and, again, your checkbook.

2. What are my options for insurance, to ensure that it is "fully" covered - i.e., both the vehicle and the upfitter mods (fridge, a/c, furnace, stove, etc.), and what I've added. You'll likely need a binder number or policy number in order to register.

3. What are my zoning requirements at home, or HOA agreements if applicable (I never have and never will live where there are ANY HOA restrictions on anything - but that's just me.)

4. Where and how do I plan to drive it - i.e., will you use toll roads regularly where there may be a plan to "toll" your RV as a car. That may have a bearing on your choices. In our case, we have a "passenger car" equivalent EZPass for the NY Thruway and a few other NY roads and bridges and that REALLY lowers their tolls, especially since we usually tow an enclosed trailer as well. Depending on your use, that can really add up.

5. Do I want a vanity (personalized) license plate (I do and did) and what registration categories are they available for.

6. What just makes me "comfy".

And one comment on the VIN. Our PW has a Chevrolet VIN and a PW VIN. With MVA, we use the Chevrolet VIN, with PW, well, they would rather have theirs, but they know both.

Cheers.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
In order to register the B, the state has to see it?

If it is a new B, the documents will say the RV model year. If it is used, the previous title will be used. RV's are built on 2 different chassis, van model years.

Some states will just input the vin number (sometimes lazy) and title it that year and not necessarily the RV model year. And there may be a state that will only title it based on the van year, few if any.

If they have to 'see' the RV, wonder why?

Bud

IndyTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ: According to the guy we talked to at the BMV (State Bureau of Motor Vehicles) we have a choice of registering it either as a personal vehicle or as an RV because it is a van chassis. We thought that was kinda strange, as the excise tax is higher on an RV so more money for the state. But the BMV guy also said a VIN inspection is required at time of registration, so maybe when they see it's an RV they'll require us to register it accordingly??

But if we have a choice, of course we'd rather go the less expensive route, all other things being equal. Which is what we'd like to know: are there any other reasons why registering as an RV is more favorable than registering as a personal vehicle?

We welcome your input as we are new to the RVing lifestyle. Thanks!

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Have you asked the state if registering as an RV is required by law?

Bud

IndyTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry,we should have said in original post that we have talked to both State Farm and Good Sam Insurance: both said that they will insure it as an RV regardless of how it is registered. So we're wondering if there are any drawbacks to registering as personal vehicle given that it will be insured as an RV. Thanks

mumkin
Explorer
Explorer
retraite wrote:
I recommend you ask the same question of your insurance agent/company. Usually (at least in my experience) an RV is much less expensive to insure than is a passenger vehicle.

x2

You want to be sure that it doesn't affect your being insured as an RV. If it is totaled, you don't want to just be reimbursed for an empty Sprinter work van. :C
Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vermont didn't ask - the state just registered our RT as a passenger car. Advantages: You can point out to your friendly toll taker or HOA that you are driving a passenger vehicle - not a truck or RV. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Here in VT the registration cost is the same.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend you ask the same question of your insurance agent/company. Usually (at least in my experience) an RV is much less expensive to insure than is a passenger vehicle.

Cheers.