Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Registration of a 2014 coach on a 2013 chassis

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Our 2014 Thor Axis is built on a 2013 Ford chassis. We had both titles and the vin was the same for the Thor coach and Ford chassis. No matter how much we explained to our local tag office that there was no 2013 Axis, they still issued the tag to a 2013 Axis!! We are still trying to get this straightened out with them. Has anyone had a similar issue? Any suggestions, or is this usual?

Many thanks!!
2014 Thor Axis
57 REPLIES 57

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
OP here... Just an update! Today we received a call from a really helpful lady in the GA DMV who has been working diligently with us to secure a GA title reflecting our correct coach year not chassis year! She told us the corrected 2014 paperwork is in the mail!! 🙂

Thanks again to all of you who understood and encouraged us in this difficult endeavor!!!
2014 Thor Axis

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
To register our Class C here on the left coast, the inspector declared that the chassis was a 2007 and the body was a 2008. This is what shows on the title now. It was originally sold to us as 2008 but in its infinite wisdom Big Brother CA decided it had to be documented as I said. Not a biggie for us, but this is what our taxes pay for, regimentation of the minutia.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
workhardplayharder wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
In MI it would be titled based on the chassis and it's VIN. Insurance would also be written based on the VIN # and year it indicates. For a car, manufactured in 2012, sits on dealers lot until spring 2014, it's brand new, never driven, but it is still titled as a 2012. Based on VIN #

Chassis are considered unfinished or incomplete when they are delivered to the RV manufacturers.
And the RV manufacturer assigns the final build date which determines the year of manufacturer on the Manufacturers Statement of Origin! Now why can't everybody get on the same page and understand this?? Even the RVIA has put out a letter explaining this and half of the folks around here say the RVIA has no idea what they are talking about.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if it is a 2014 coach, insured as such, bill of sale as such, it gets sold as a 2014 when it is time for resale. gets looked up in the blue book/ yellow book/ whatever as a 2014.
bumpy

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
And the 1 year difference in sale price is....what? Trading in, you'll of course get less than book/retail. Private sale...more than likely MORE than the book/retail value. Consignment? Set the price you want and hope for the best.
Basically, it all comes down to how long you want to...,or how long you keep your motorhome.
If you trade-in every year...couple years, you will take a beating. Or, like me...mine is now 12 years old and paid for. 50,000+ miles, still runs and looks good. Everything works. I intend to use/own it for maybe 2-3 more years, then get out. And then.....whatever the market will bear. I didn't buy the thing for trade or sale values on it down the road. I bought it with a long-time "keeper" in mind. I bought to to enjoy...and I do. Some of the on-the-road memories are priceless

That's the way I see it...FWIW.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jhilley wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
jhilley wrote:
In North Dakota they register it as the year of the chassis. My Winnebago is a 2003 Adventurer on a 2002 Ford F-53 chassis. DMV registered it as a 2002 Ford House Car. My 1999 Winnebago, chassis and house built in 1999 is registered as a 1999 Ford House Car.

I just talked to ND registration office.
RV MSO 2014
chassis MSO 2013
They stated it would be titled as a 2014. Doug

I don't think they would change mine. Who did you talk to?

All I did was post the question as I posted. The lady went to talk to someone and when she came back stated as I posted. AS I stated, in Texas, they make a mistake and when informed, they correct it. Just because some have a wrong year listed, that does NOT mean it was done correctly. Mistakes are made all the time and usually people NEVER see the wrong year on the Title until they sell or trade it in. THEN, it becomes a big hassle to get it corrected. As an aside to some that think paying Document fees are a rip off. You PAY that fee and YOU do not have to spend time and money to get it corrected. The DEALER has to get it done. Doug

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
In MI it would be titled based on the chassis and it's VIN. Insurance would also be written based on the VIN # and year it indicates. For a car, manufactured in 2012, sits on dealers lot until spring 2014, it's brand new, never driven, but it is still titled as a 2012. Based on VIN #

Chassis are considered unfinished or incomplete when they are delivered to the RV manufacturers.

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
Its a 2014. I had a 1998 Holiday Rambler built on a 1999 new Ford chassis. It was registered as a 1999
It was STILL A 1998. That year they built them on two different year model chasiss.
It happens all the time,your fine.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
jhilley wrote:
In North Dakota they register it as the year of the chassis. My Winnebago is a 2003 Adventurer on a 2002 Ford F-53 chassis. DMV registered it as a 2002 Ford House Car. My 1999 Winnebago, chassis and house built in 1999 is registered as a 1999 Ford House Car.

RV MSO 2014
chassis MSO 2013

I don't think they would change mine. Who did you talk to?
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

davebrown
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:

that's not even remotely what is being discussed here at all.
Two entirely different situations and ideas

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
jhilley wrote:

RV MSO 2014
chassis MSO 2013

Have you had any luck with the GA DMV, Doug? Just returned from tag office where they were adamant that all motorhomes in GA are titled by year of chassis not motorhome! Not a happy camper!!!
2014 Thor Axis

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jhilley wrote:

RV MSO 2014
chassis MSO 2013

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
One time when "reality" may become important here is when you need service or parts for your chassis. (that is why, especially dealers, always ask for your vin)

Asking for a left front widget for a 2013 F53 could bring a completely different item and asking for one for a 2012!
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog