cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove slide to replace floor covering,Update .

chucl66
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to replace carpet. Does the slide ,LR, need to be removed? It is a raised slide.
Got an estimate from one person, he wanted $1400., labor because it would take three hrs., at 90.00 per hr. to remove, replace slide.
Anyone done this without removing the slide.
Suggestions for replacement, allure, vinyl, etc?

Thanks,
Chuck
Thanks, going to have done by installer.
Really appreciate all the post. You are all great!!
Chuck & Laraine
20 REPLIES 20

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Teacher's Pet wrote:
The Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay AL. Pulled our DS slide and replaced the floor, and then reinstalled it in about 2.5 hours. However it involved a stationary hoist, plus a crane rail, built up floor and 4 workers.
Was this your COACH?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
The Tiffin Service Center in Red Bay AL. Pulled our DS slide and replaced the floor, and then reinstalled it in about 2.5 hours. However it involved a stationary hoist, plus a crane rail, built up floor and 4 workers.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was going to make the same comment Fred on the slide. Seems to me that if it really did have to be removed, no way would it be three hours total to remove and reinstall. I thinking more like an all day project. You've got all the motors and rails and electric and facings and not to mention having a forklift or some type of overhead lift to pick it up.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't had a need to remove a slide but I would place that one in the area of pulling a gas engine from and RV. Technically not difficult but there is certain skill level and tools needed. Do a You Tube search to see if anyone has documented a removal. Same for the flooring install under a slide.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy had the carpet replaced on his travel trailer at the Fleetwood factory in 1999. When he went to pick it up, he noticed the slide was not out all the way, and pushed the button to slide it out the rest of the way. There was a strip of the old carpet still in place. He had to have them repeat the install process (with the slide all the way out) and picked it up the next day (taking another day off work).

So yes it can be done without removing the slide. I don't know how they would remove the slide in 3 hours and put it back.. I think they where pulling someone's leg. . .

I would be looking for another carpet installer.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although I haven't done it, I seriously doubt the slide has to be removed to change the carpet. You know when they built your motorhome they put the slide in before the carpet so it can be done.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4