Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing Atwood water heater plug photo added

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
What's the easiest way to remove a Atwood water heater plug? I can barely fit
my adjustable wrench onto the plug and can only turn it less than 1/8 of a turn at a time due to tight access.

Curious as to what the black wire is that's connected to the clamp. The long bolts limit access to the drain plug

Thanks!
The older I get....the better I was.

Bill & Terry
And our canine kids, Skippy & Peanut
2014 Fleetwood Bounder Classic 30T
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad
35 REPLIES 35

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
To remove the plug, I use a Crowfoot Wrench
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-standard-crowfoot-wrench-set/p-00904362000P
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
Ranger Smith wrote:
I use our 4 way tire iron. One of the sockets fits perfect no muss no fuss.

X2 4 way lug wrench works fine for me too.

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
DUH!!!! I didn't have to replace any bolts. I loosened both bolts slightly and rotated the clamp slightly to the left which raised the bolt closest to the drain plug enough that I can get a socket extension through. Sometimes the simplest option is the least obvious. Go figure!

That's exactly what I did. Thanks.

Bill & Terry

oldkeywest91
Explorer
Explorer
the black wire is a ground wire to the copper tubing.if it helps you can just loosen the screws and turn the clap out of your way.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree. OK (actually GOOD) to ground the propane line, but it should be done and is generally done on the metal line close to the tank. Since (and here I am ASSUMING) your propane lines are either iron or copper, no need to a second ground connection as they are all electrically connected.

Just throw that one away if the line is grounded elsewhere/ground it elsewhere and THEN throw it away.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
ezgoin wrote:
Here's my issue. Bolts on clamp are too long. What is this wire that's clamped on here?

That clamp is an electrical ground wire clamp. If it is on the gas line ,Remove it and seek another area(like on the frame) to ground the wire. That will allow you access to the drain plug when you remove the clamp from that gas line. Using a dissimilar metal plug from what the heater tank is made of will setup electrolysis and erode the aluminum heater tank and could even******up the plug and threads so bad that you cannot remove it.

jwmII

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
White wire is electrical is only used as neutral and in special cases can be used for power but must be marked. Bonding is done only with green or bare.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
ckwjl, I would install a plastic fitting in the tank and then use the brass check valve.
10forty2, that is unnecessary as the iron gas line is grounded to the chassis through the mounting brackets.

Could be unnecessary as you say, but that's how mine is done also...except they used a white bonding wire instead of a black wire on my coach. White is the standard color for bonding wire in residential wiring. When I questioned the same thing in my mind as the pipe already being grounded, I decided to trace the white wire and sure enough it was bonding the section of pipe inside the water heater compartment to itself on the section of pipe under the coach and then to the chassis through the pipe mounts. It's actually a fairly common practice since the flow of LP through the pipe can cause static buildup just like the flow of gasoline through a fill nozzle can cause static buildup. It just ensures a solid bond to eliminate static. That's why they always recommend that you don't take your hand off the fuel filler nozzle while fueling...so you don't cause the static to discharge. In keeping in contact with the nozzle, you are bonded to the nozzle and can't cause a potential difference for an electrical charge and hence an avenue for a spark to jump across. ๐Ÿ™‚
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Ck the wire for continuity to ground or voltage, then remove the clamp do your plug thing and re-install the clamp with shorter bolts.

ezgoin
Explorer
Explorer
DUH!!!! I didn't have to replace any bolts. I loosened both bolts slightly and rotated the clamp slightly to the left which raised the bolt closest to the drain plug enough that I can get a socket extension through. Sometimes the simplest option is the least obvious. Go figure!

Bill & Terry

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
ckwjl, I would install a plastic fitting in the tank and then use the brass check valve.
10forty2, that is unnecessary as the iron gas line is grounded to the chassis through the mounting brackets.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Tha black wire on the propane pipe is a bonding wire to bond the metal pipe to the chassis and ensure that no sparks are created from static or other sources.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Iagree you shouldn't ground to a gas pipe. Not sure why you would clamp anything to it. Why not replace the screws with shorter ones and maybe get more clearance. I use a socket on a T handle to remove mine. It fits easily under the gas line.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

ckwjl
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
T&P is not brass, they are bronze.
The hollowed out nylon Atwood plugs, according to Atwood tech, may blow out rather then rupturing tank if freezes.

Slightly off topic, I might have messed up. The plastic nipple/check valve in the hot water outlet of my Atwood WH cracked and I replaced it with a brass one. I thought brass would be better than plastic. Is brass okay or should I go back with plastic?