cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repairing Blinds

PopnBB
Explorer
Explorer
We have the cloth accordion style blinds in our Jayco Grayhawk. It seems like every time we open or close them, they don't want to fold completely up. Not sure I explained it, but if you have them, maybe you'll understand what I'm trying to describe. Any ideas how to get them back fold flat when they're pushed back up?
7 REPLIES 7

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Any RV mobile repair will restring them for you for around $65.00.

OR

Go to any camping store or RC dealership that has a supply store. There is a real nice restringing kit available now. Comes in a couple different colors to match your shades. Includes the string, new mounting screws and instructions. Waay cheaper than ordering it on line.

If they are tight or not working correctly the next thing that WILL happen is the string breaks and now you will be left with a flopping shade all over the place! Restring them before that happens!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand your post correctly, you are not having a problem with the blinds staying up where they are placed, but rather the pleats do not stay folded.

It could be the blinds are too short and they are are flattened too much when extended. Probably unlikely. Maybe the tension is too loose. Maybe try pulling the strings a little tighter. The blinds should offer some resistance when you raise or lower them but not be too difficult to raise.

I don't think restringing them will help.

How old are the blinds? Are they still under warranty? Have they always been like this or have they recently changed?

Edit: I remember reading that someone sprayed starch on the blinds to stiffen the fabric, but I don't remember the details and I have never tried this. Maybe worth trying???
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We had them in our Winnebago Itasca for years with the same problem. DW finally got tired of them and made new curtains for all the windows that work and look much better.:B

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I restrung the large day/night blind in the side window of our Tioga 26Q. It was not easy to do, but I finally got the tangle of long strings and springs, and unruly blind material, etc., back together and string tension adjusted properly. Small blinds are less complicated with fewer strings to keep track of. You need a large work space like a king size bed for large blinds. If you are easily frustrated, you might find someone to restring your blinds for you.

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a kit with instructions you can purchase from Camping World:
Pleated Shade First Aid Kit CW Item # 56855
There is also a web site you can get instructions I think it is the Shade Man.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Follow these directions...It will show you how to adjust the tension on your blinds. It is too loose; that's why they are not staying up.

Blind Adj. click here
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Dastagg
Explorer
Explorer
Restring them. Lots of YouTube videos showing how to do it. Not very difficult to do.