cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing a Norcold 1200 with a residential

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Would it be possibble for forum members that have replaced thier No-cold refers with residential models to reply with the make and model that they have had success with? I'm looking for something that would fit in the opening without modifications on the width. I can go about 8in. lower if need be. Thanks Marty
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 455hp. 6spd. Allison
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
29 REPLIES 29

Archie_Kravitz
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a NO_COLD 1200,the Samsung fits better going thru the door than the old one going out.
One hellofa lot lighter also.

jzrvinit
Explorer
Explorer
We did it, best move we ever made. Also put a 2K invert-er in for the frig. It was very simple to do.

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Looks as if we will be going with the Samsung RF197. It will fit through our door and there will be very little modification to the cabinet that I can do myself. Thanks again, Marty

co-pilot
Explorer
Explorer
Samsung RF197 along with a total cabinet rebuild. Old and new refer came thru the dinette window, (window was removed). Was a great addition.
Full Timing
DataStorm 4594
F313842 + Escapees
'97 Beaver Patriot 40'
'07 CRV toad

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
bkd148 wrote:
Joel, Your Thunder looks similar to mine. Did the Samsung fit through your entry door with the doors and drawer removed or did it have to go through a window? Also, do the door handles hang out to far? My floorplan is a Monticelo so with the slide out I think no problem. Thanks Marty

We didn't try to bring it through the door. The folks who did the remodeling hired someone to remove and replace the right windshield. The swap was done in a single afternoon.

The door handles don't stick out all that far. They look like this:

They didn't fool with the windshield on ours. They brought it in thru the side window above our dinette. They use a fork lift to remove the old one and to bring the Samsung in. So glad I didn't try to do this myself.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

nemo45
Explorer
Explorer
docj wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Samsung rf197. Perfect fit in width and depth, plus only about 2" taller than the Nocold 1200. Really nice to have "frozen" ice cream and "cold" beer. LOL.

X2; another vote for the Samsung RF197! Best improvement we've made.

Same with us. the best improvement we ever made on our coach. And even with installation cheaper than a new norcold 1200 or dometic.
Don Niemeyer
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master T40A
2011 Chevy Equinox LT1 Toad

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
bkd148 wrote:
smlranger, I like that. Can you get the model number for me? I find several models of the 18.2 cu.ft. That fits nice. Thanks Marty

The model numbers have changed a bit since I did this about 3 years ago. The FFHT1826PS at Lowes seems to be the same fridge now, although it is listed as 18.3 cu ft.

We considered the Samsung but it was pricey due to being a counter depth fridge. This Frigidaire fit perfectly flush in the exisiting opening with only the doors outside the opening, of course. It was only $600 at the time with free delivery to the shop that did the work and they gave me the $50 ice maker at no additional charge.

We really liked it, even better than the side-by-side Amama residential in our current coach. The top freezer fridge had more usable storage space than the 22 cu ft. Amana.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
smlranger, I like that. Can you get the model number for me? I find several models of the 18.2 cu.ft. That fits nice. Thanks Marty

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Just for info, this is how the Frigidaire looks installed in same opening as Norcold 1200LRIM.

Very little mods to the opening to accomodate height difference of about 1 1/2". Fridge came thru coach door with passenger seat removed and doors removed from fridge.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

tiredkid
Explorer
Explorer
this one fits better than the 197
http://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitchen/fridges-freezers/french-door/RF170ADX4/

67 17/32H
31 3/32W
27 3/8in D(excl. handles)

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
Marty
If you are thinking about the switch, I see you are in Washington you might call Jim Lewis at http://infinitycoach.com/ they do the installs plus Best Buy and Homedepot have them on sale now.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
This is just like my install.
http://www.moenracing.com/samsung/
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

docj
Explorer
Explorer
bkd148 wrote:
Thanks for the picture Joel. I had my wife talked into the black model but when she saw your picture now she would prefer the stainless! Thanks for the help everybody. Marty

Actually ours is the so-called Platinum. The stainless wasn't in stock at the time and this is one of those "looks like stainless but doesn't show fingerprints" finishes.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

bkd148
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the picture Joel. I had my wife talked into the black model but when she saw your picture now she would prefer the stainless! Thanks for the help everybody. Marty