cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing black water tank with freshwater tank.

Clamrobot
Explorer
Explorer
I am a new RV owner. I want to get a composting toilet. This would allow me to remove the black water tank and replace it with another freshwater tank. Has anyone done this, or have any advice? Thanks in advance.

1992 Fleetwood, Pace Arrow, 32'.
22 REPLIES 22

cruzbill
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another review on composting toilet. When I viewed the video, listening ening closley, I don't think I could live with a composting toilet. Just not for me.
I don't know how the Wynns do it on their catamaran.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-straight-poop-on-our-composting-toilet/

theatremusician
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to an FAQ the Wynns did on YouTube about the composting toiletโ€ฆ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CdnVZkCKXU

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Like the above post suggested, go to Gone with the Wynns website. They've been using composting toilets for years in their RV's, they now have a sailboat and have them in it too. They have videos on installation, and what they did with their black tank. Lots of useful info on their website, might take a little looking, but it's there.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Like the above post suggested, go to Gone with the Wynns website. They've been using composting toilets for years in their RV's, they now have a sailboat and have them in it too. They have videos on installation, and what they did with their black tank. Lots of useful info on their website, might take a little looking, but it's there.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Easy project. The hardest part is finding a ready made tank to fit the space the black tank has. Probably the simplest way to transfer water would be using a portable pump when needed. And also use the pump to fill the tank. If you find one with the same foot print it would also be a back up to the primary. Just try and stay with a tank of the same water volume as the original black tank for weight considerations.

An alternative to consider would be to just leave the tank in place, seal the opening for original toilet and cross connect the two waste tanks increasing the gray water holding capacity. Easy enough to carry extra water externally while dumping, even gray water, anywhere other than at an approved facility can get you into trouble.

As far as when the day comes to sell the modified coach I wouldn't worry as long as you're considering do the mod to the 1992 Pace Arrow in your forum signature. Now if the coach was a 2012 may not the best idea considering your target buying audience would be a pretty small focus group.

The is what I would do, and am seriously considering it.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good cleaning and some sterilization and your tank is all ready installed. ๐Ÿ™‚
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
Also not sure about adding more water capacity than holding tank capacity. If you have 100 gallons of water but only 50 gallons of storage in the gray then what can you do with the other 50 gallons? You would have to dump it to keep using your other 50 or use the outside shower a lot.

^^^^^^ this makes so much sense to me. Keeping the 'fresh' and 'holding' tanks near the same size would allow for boondocking off the grid longer and would match the fresh tank (mostly).

Having three times the fresh water capacity vs. holding tank capacity would make you have to dump the 'holding tank' more often.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a Pace Arrow you will have to see if the tanks are accessible for replacement. Fleetwood went through a period in which they installed the tanks under the floor, atop the chassis framerails, in an enclosed heated space, for their "basement model" motorhomes. I've encountered this in Bounders and Stormies, have not dug into a '90s Pace Arrow.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
You may need a new pump if your existing FW tank is not below the floor at roughly the same level as the existing black tank. Also if you replace with a FW tank that sits lower then the pump pickup, might be a problem.

Resale value will likely be very poor without a black tank. If you can swap in a FW tank without making heavy modifications so that the black could go back in.. that would be good I think.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

guthriez
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, the "Gone with the Wynns" couple put a composting toilet into their motorhome a few years ago. Might want to check their website for further info..
The Guthaways
2008 Palomino Gazelle
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Also not sure about adding more water capacity than holding tank capacity. If you have 100 gallons of water but only 50 gallons of storage in the gray then what can you do with the other 50 gallons? You would have to dump it to keep using your other 50 or use the outside shower a lot.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Clamrobot wrote:
I will find out if my sink goes to BW tank. Yes, I have used a composting toilet for about 3.5 months up in alaska,it worked just fine as long as you divert the urine into a separate container. Used with one other person it for 1.5 months before having to empty it. The waste just comes out looking/smelling of dirt.

Just to clarify, did you use the composting toilet in an enclosed living area - like a camper? Most all composting systems I've encountered smell eventually. If it is in a room off to the side or at then end of a house it is fine, but to have it basically right where you are living may not be ideal.

I am very curious, if you do this, how it works out! Keep us updated.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Clamrobot wrote:
Dale. Traveling - I was also considering keeping it as a secondary grey tank, and you're right, it's easy to carry extra fresh water elsewhere in the coach. What was it you meant about the modification, and a forum signature? I am also quite new to the forum format,and that one may have gone over my head ๐Ÿ™‚

I believe Dale was referring to removing the water toilet and replacing it with a composting toilet. When/if you decide to sell the RV, a prospective buyer may not want a composting toilet. It could limit the field of buyers for your rig.

Signature, below Dale Traveling (or any member's screen name) click on View Profile. That is where most members put a description of their RV/Tow Vehicle.

Then other forum members will know which RV they are talking about if they don't put it in the post.

And, welcome to the forum. There is a lot of information and experience available. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone will have the answer.
There is also a search block you can use to look up previous questions and posts.

Clamrobot
Explorer
Explorer
Dale. Traveling - I was also considering keeping it as a secondary grey tank, and you're right, it's easy to carry extra fresh water elsewhere in the coach. What was it you meant about the modification, and a forum signature? I am also quite new to the forum format,and that one may have gone over my head ๐Ÿ™‚