cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rest area overnight stops.

Rodallg
Explorer
Explorer
Is it allowed to spend the night at a rest area? Hope this isn't a dumb question to ask.
51 REPLIES 51

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just because you don't get a ticket, doesn't mean it isn't illegal. I've exceeded the speed limit a few times and never got a ticket. Doesn't make it legal, just means I didn't get caught.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Hey. Went to Blue lake this weekend. Loved it.

Maybe you did not get caught. Maybe they enforce it differently. Don't know. Do not be surprised if you get a ticket.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kiwi_too wrote:
Using a breakdown or chainup area to sleep over night is illegal and nothing like using a rest area in WA.
I've spent the night at a pulloff area on White pass in summer a few times. Seems to be no problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
California policy on rest stops

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Steeljag wrote:
Calling a Federal Marshal if your asked to leave a rest area? Really ? Might as well call the governor. You will get the same response.

.....and I'm not buying the legal aspect of advising the person asking you to leave of your " lack of sleep". First, you placed your self in that position by passing numerous exits, and now, your a safety hazard to drive to the next exit?

My retort would be I'll call you a cab, and ask if you have a preference for a wrecker.

Sounds like truck driving attorneys are providing a lack of proper council!

Then what is a rest area for? I should pull off at an exit and do what? Find a Walmart or side of the exit? Why is there truck parking? You think they are not sleeping? I would suggest that those stopping to eat missed a few exits, also. How about those that stopped to urinate. They should stop at a gas station at the last exit. With that way of thinking, you could simply do away with rest areas.

I know local laws vary but a rest area is to rest. Set the rules. 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, etc. With our mobile society you should also post the laws at the entrance.There are too many municipalities along the route to investigate all. Then be prepared to have them manned to enforce.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
J-Rooster wrote:
What a great question! In Washington State your allowed by law to stay in a rest area for 8 hours. A coworker of mine before I retired pulled over in a truck chain up area (This was during the summer) on Snoqualmie Pass, WA. and went to sleep. He slept for 10 hours and when he woke up he had a ticket on his windshield from the Washington State Patrol. The ticket said your only allowed to stay in a rest area for 8 hours. Don't know about the other 49 States!

A chain up area is not a rest area. A chain up area is a narrow spot on the side of the road for just that purpose. Overnighting in a chain up area prevents others from using that lane for the designated purpose. This is a safety issue.

I apologize for missing that this was in the summer, but my answer will remain mostly the same. You will not block others from chaining up. You will still be parcked in a narrow area along 55-70 MPH traffic and in the state of WA this is not legal. Please call the State Troopers if you don't believe me. Using a breakdown or chainup area to sleep over night is illegal and nothing like using a rest area in WA.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Calling a Federal Marshal if your asked to leave a rest area? Really ? Might as well call the governor. You will get the same response.

.....and I'm not buying the legal aspect of advising the person asking you to leave of your " lack of sleep". First, you placed your self in that position by passing numerous exits, and now, your a safety hazard to drive to the next exit?

My retort would be I'll call you a cab, and ask if you have a preference for a wrecker.

Sounds like truck driving attorneys are providing a lack of proper council!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Texan wrote:
dahkota wrote:
My DH is a LEO. Over the last three years he has stayed with me in rest areas in 14 states from MD to Montana to Arizona to Maine to Florida. We have never had an issue other than a loud truck idling next to us for a few hours. We have had some spectacular sunrises though. Occasionally the rest stops have a great view.
Many of us are LEO or retired LEO and have NEVER seen or experienced the horrors some talk about. Sure there will be some rest areas that I would not stay in, but those are normally very visible as you enter the rest area. Many have security now and in many rest areas, the local LEOs use it as a quiet area to get their reports done.....As a retired LEO, I have NO problem staying in most of them and have seen more problems and mobile homeless in the retail store lots.

Nobody is saying you're going to be murdered within minutes of pulling into a rest stop. I'm simply saying they get their fair share of crime and in fact are often specifically targeted by many criminals. My LEO experience is all in California, but just do a Google search of rest stop crime and you'll see it's not just limited to California.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Texas not only allows overnighting in the rest areas, they offer free wifi.

Oh Yeah ??

where are they at

i never saw any when i crossed texas 'twice' last year
in fact the road side rests, where ancient, canopies over a tables
the drive was full of pot holes, and the rest area's nothing but 'stickers and burrs", hot as hell and no water, pitiful shade, and no way to get away from the 18 wheelers, glad i only stopped during the day

I think California is putting Wi-Fi in at some of the rest stops too.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
My DH is a LEO. Over the last three years he has stayed with me in rest areas in 14 states from MD to Montana to Arizona to Maine to Florida. We have never had an issue other than a loud truck idling next to us for a few hours. We have had some spectacular sunrises though. Occasionally the rest stops have a great view.
Many of us are LEO or retired LEO and have NEVER seen or experienced the horrors some talk about. Sure there will be some rest areas that I would not stay in, but those are normally very visible as you enter the rest area. Many have security now and in many rest areas, the local LEOs use it as a quiet area to get their reports done.....As a retired LEO, I have NO problem staying in most of them and have seen more problems and mobile homeless in the retail store lots.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

pablo77
Explorer
Explorer
wb2ivu wrote:
Whilst traveling through the state of Ohio, we found one (1) rest-stop that actually had a specific area for overnight RV parking. For the cost of $20, you had a spot the offered electric. A dump station was provided on your way out.

That would be along the Ohio turnpike. I believe there are several plazas which allow RV parking with hookups.
Pablo77
'08 Mandalay Presidio #3469

pablo77
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
BB_TX wrote:

Oh Yeah ??

where are they at

the drive was full of pot holes, and the rest area's nothing but 'stickers and burrs", hot as hell and no water, pitiful shade, and no way to get away from the 18 wheelers, glad i only stopped during the day

They are all over the state. Go Here for more info. Follow the link to the map to see all of them.
I've overnighted at a couple of them and found them very nice. Besides wifi, they also have 24 hr security.
Pablo77
'08 Mandalay Presidio #3469

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
What a great question! In Washington State your allowed by law to stay in a rest area for 8 hours. A coworker of mine before I retired pulled over in a truck chain up area (This was during the summer) on Snoqualmie Pass, WA. and went to sleep. He slept for 10 hours and when he woke up he had a ticket on his windshield from the Washington State Patrol. The ticket said your only allowed to stay in a rest area for 8 hours. Don't know about the other 49 States!

Ummmmmm, when we stayed over at one of theirs in WA along I90, not only did they provide a dump station, but the lady's club came early in the morning to open a stand for free coffee and donuts and when we went back to get some favorites to take along with us, it thrilled the one who baked them. I did leave them a donation, of course.
Couldn't beat that with a stick.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

MrWizard
BB_TX wrote:

Oh Yeah ??

where are they at

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s