cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road handling issues

Mortdd
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Coachmen Encounter TZF, basically 38 feet. I can hardly keep it on the road in the wind and when a semi passes me it shoves me all over the place. I am about ready to sell it, between the handling problem and the very poor workmanship on building it I am fed up. Not to mention the lack of customer service from Coachmen.

I just completed a 5000 mile trip and was exhausted from fighting the wheel. I had a Blue OX Tiger Bar installed when I purchased it thinking it would at least help the side to side sway. It helped that a little but not near what it was advertised to do.

Have any of you had these issues and what have you done to resolve them? Thanks in advance for your responses.
D and K
Just the 2 of us now! Unless the grandkids come along.
Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Life Time Good Sam Member
21 REPLIES 21

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I added the Road Master rear anti sway bar. The Blue Ox rear trak bar. I ordered out the hellwig hangers and move the Ford factory anti sway back to the second hole. The hellwig hangerss are only need in front on factory bars. Also travel with full water tank. I also added steer safe.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also those hugh rear overhangs tend to create their own set of problems, like sway. Proper loading might be the key. But also some prudent research into possible causes are in order before you make any big changes.

pusherpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I think that rgatijnet1 has hit it on the head. Looking at the Coachmen docs for that product the coach appears to have a huge slide in the rear of the coach. Take it to a weigh station that'll allow you to weigh each side of the coach and each axle along with each wheel position. Some moving and storage places Will do that. Compare your numbers to the axle ratings and the individual wheel readings to the tire ratings. Gas coaches have a longer rear overhang than DPs and folks tend to overload them in the rear. In the past, mfgrs have overloaded the rear axles too so that the coach was overweight off the assembly line. I'm not saying that this is the problem but at 22k lbs GVWR and 38ft with the same high profile as a DP, which will usually weigh in at around 30k lbs for that size it's an item you should check.
Ron

loghauler191
Explorer
Explorer
we had a 20000 35ft tropical nice coach until you drove it so I started doing a lot of research then started adding things to the suspension and was seeing a lot of difference we traded it for a dp last week anyway I started with firestone ride-rite air bags front and rear big big improvement next I was going to install a track bar goes from the top of the rear axle to the frame will stop the tail wagging the dog and newt was a steering stabilizer end result could of been 20000# sports car hope this helps don't give up on your coach and enjoy

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
Often times when one is new to a class A they may tend to over steer.
When a semi passes just before it reaches your front the air flow directed around it can be quite a force on you till just after it passes you. You are basically driving a large box that is not aerodynamic in any way shape or form.

I travel with a full tank of water that is over my axle and a full tank of diesel behind the front axle and a full propane tank 50 gallon just behind axle as well and it is a huge difference.

Pogoil.

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
The front end probably needs an alignment!

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you checked your axle weights when the coach is fully loaded? if the front end is light, it will cause the coach to wander all over the highway. Most coaches handle better with the front axle loaded close to max.