cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoadTrek Capacity

katevesco
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the process of moving from Ontario to BC. For various reasons we have to move in 2 stages. We are thinking of purchasing a cargo trailer and hauling it with our 2003 RoadTrek Popular. It is a 6,000 V8. Max trailer weight is 10,000 lbs. GCWR is 16.000 lbs.
I know there have to be a few of RT owners who haul cargo trailers. Can anyone tell us what is the largest size we should be looking at and realistically what kind of weight load can we haul with safety?

Thanks.
Kate
6 REPLIES 6

katevesco
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
Kate

Arizona_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
8,400 lbs TC if its a Chevy, I think the Dodge was quite a bit less.
Maximum towable weight with driver and minimal fuel only. This weight reduced by weight of optional equipment, fuel, water, LP gas, cargo and/or passengers.

katevesco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the calculations. The specs on our book for the RoadTrek quoted 10,000 lbs. Have to check that out. We have hauled with ease a 29 ft. Ultralite house trailer with the Trek across some pretty steep hills in Mexico. We are looking at something like an 18 ft. cargo trailer now and just wondered if that, loaded would be too long.
Kate

katevesco
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestion but we need to make two separate trips for many reasons. Both where we live now and where we are going to live are semi-remote and U-hall is not an option.
Kate

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There are a good amount of numbers, from tongue weight to GVWR to tow capacity to GCWR.

As an alternative, since I'm guessing there are two people with the OP, maybe rent a large U-haul or similar, and then rent a smaller trailer for the "B"? That would help with lessening the load on the "B" for the trip.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
First, you have to determine the loaded weight of your motorhome which has a GVWR of 9,600 lbs. Include the hitch tongue weight of the loaded trailer in that calculation. Then, you subtract that weight from the GCWR of 16,000 lbs. to determine the maximum amount of weight you can haul in a trailer and its load. The specs I found for the 2003 Roadtrek Popular indicate a maximum towing capacity of 8,400 lbs. not 10,000 lbs.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot