Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rodents in RV - Wits End!

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

At my wits end here so figured I'd finally reach out for some ideas.

For the past year I've been battling rodents getting into my RV. These are a mix of mice and packrats (the smaller

I've personally gone around and filled all openings with steel wool.

I've had a mobile RV repair service come and fill even more openings with steel wool.

I have noise emitters on 24/7 in the bays and in the coach

I have scented rodent repellent packs all over

Been about two weeks without any activity... went out today.. had about a week old dead guy in a snap trap.

I'm pulling my hair out. I do not see any openings anywhere.. EXCEPT.... right now my slides are out, at the bottom of the slides I can see daylight out the sides where the lower sweeper seal is at. Now I've known for some time that the lower part of the slide isn't 100% sealed... and I dont see how any type of rodent would be able to get up there anyway to climb in.

What are the chances that a mouse or rat are able to climb the slick, vertical side wall of the coach to get to the bottom of the slide?

Any other ideas? I understand they are getting in Somehow... I just really cant figure out how. Its driving me crazy!
20 REPLIES 20

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Chootem
Dennis Hoppert

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Rotaxxx wrote:
magicbus wrote:
If you don't have pets with access to your RV just get some poison and place it under your RV. I've been through this in the RV and house and learned ito kill them before they get inside. Google Tomcat poison. Works on rats and mice.

Dave

I would not recommend poisoning them near your RV, problem with that is they eat the poison then go into the RV and die then really stink it up...
Wow, did this actually happen to you because my experience is quite different. They go looking for water not my RV. I've used this technique for multiple RVs and multiple houses with great results.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
If it's any consolation, I had ants in my truck of my truck camper for like 18 months. Nothing got rid of the last ant or 2. I'd find them in the truck camper. Just one here or there. I got them in a parking lot. They infested my entire rv, truck and camper, in a couple hours.
They finally died out a few months ago.

Just saying... I feel your pain.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
This reminded me of my sibling. When she was a teen she decided to breed exotic pet mice for money. She got some siamese, long hair, etc., and set them up in cages in the garage. Before she could start breeding them to each other, she found the females were all pregnant.

It appears that wild mice can fit through the mouse cage wires that domestic mice cannot. Those boys from the wrong side of the tracks were sneaking in, having some fun, and then taking off.

She never could keep them away from the girls. They managed to get through every type of containment. If there was an airhole for her mouse, those boys got in and out.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
I had your exact same rig and lived in the woods. I was never able to keep them out. I tried so many things but nothing worked. In the winter I took everything out and stored it away from my home. After using mothballs in another rig I found that I detested the smell of moth balls so gave that up. I began using a bucket trap in the rig and this worked for killing them but not for keeping them out. I however never got anymore nests inside. I guess they were killed before they could set up housekeeping. They are disgusting and I now believe that the only good mouse is a dead one.

Rotaxxx
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
If you don't have pets with access to your RV just get some poison and place it under your RV. I've been through this in the RV and house and learned ito kill them before they get inside. Google Tomcat poison. Works on rats and mice.

Dave

I would not recommend poisoning them near your RV, problem with that is they eat the poison then go into the RV and die then really stink it up...

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
jeremywatco wrote:
We live in a rural area with tons of open space. I'm thinking of calling the pest man tomorrow and start working on the outside areas.

I had a big problem with mice in my aircraft hangar. I tried a product called "Just One Bite" Kills em dead and does it quickly. You can buy it in cubes or small pellets that are bagged. You throw the bags down and they chew through it for the product. You might spread that outside the rig. I don't know of it's toxicity to other animals so you might check that. You could put a cube in each compartment inside and in your storage bays. When you find a dead one, where they got in cant be far away. I find the dead ones right at the cube. As soon as they swallow it, micro glass crystals cut their esophagus and stomach and they bleed out right there internally.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

I had a problem with mice getting into the garage or crawl space and then into the house from there. Sealed up the crawl space and the garage, but never could keep them out of the garage. Finally I put 3 Decon mouse bait containers around the outside of the house. For the first 4 to 6 weeks, I was refilling them every 10 days. Then maybe every other month for the next 6 months, but no more mice in the garage or house. Now the bait containers have remained full for over 6 months.

No more mice problem!
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
K Charles wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Keep mice away 2007
Prevent mice 2011
Kill/prevent mice 2011
Mice 2013
Mice, Apr 2014
Mice, August 2014
peppermint oil - mice 2015
Mice - get rid of 2015
Mice - mothballs etc 2016
mice- July 2016

Why were there no mice problems in 2012?

That was the year of the Great Rodent Con. They all got together in Vegas.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

happy-2
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing Ive found to really work is RAMIC RAT, bait Keep away from all animals.It works With Squirrels and Mice And Rats, they eat it and go for water and you never see them again.If you place it close but away from the RV the will eat it and WHYOOOOOO there GONE. I keep the bait all the time up on the fence that way you can watch it be gone .when you break it up it has a whole in it I put a nail in the whole to keep it in place on the fence. GOOOOOD LUCK.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Put some moth balls in void areas. Not too many! They do not like the smell of the Naptha and should leave.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hied Alex to keep mice out.. Though I think he'd rather play with 'em.

He works for cat food and purrs real nice too when he's not going Meow.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
We live in a rural area with tons of open space. I'm thinking of calling the pest man tomorrow and start working on the outside areas.