cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof replacement is a "normal maintenance item"?

dbs
Explorer
Explorer
In looking for an RV, an owner I spoke with told me the roof on his 2011 Jayco 29' was replaced, along with the seals, last year. When I asked him what made it leak, he told me replacing a roof was a normal maintenance item. Really? On a 6-year-old RV?
15 REPLIES 15

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you do get the thing re-roofed, don't buy another rubber roof. I have only read positive reviews about the people with the spray epoxy elastomer roofs (RV Armor, RV roof, etc.) This might be the ideal way to go, since you then don't need to recaulk every six months.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think a lot is the dealer trying to drum up extra business, but I think a lot is also many techs at the dealerships have no idea what they are talking about.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Maybe the owner was himself deceived by the facility that replaced his roof. Hard to say.

I think that is very possible. 6 or 7 years ago, they tried to tell me the roof was shot. They pointed out the black/gray areas. Said the white coating had worn off. Turns out it was mold. I don't think they were that dumb. They knew exactly what it was.

From what I can gleam, while the mold make look ugly it does not harm the roof

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the previous owners! If he was the original owner should of been good. I should of replaced the roof on our 05 when I got it in 13. I don't know what they put on but nothing sticks and if it does fails quick.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

Cobra21
Explorer
Explorer
My roof is good yet at 25 years old! Knock on wood.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the owner was himself deceived by the facility that replaced his roof. Hard to say.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dbs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Yeah he didn't say "why" it was replaced, but I'd never heard of a 6 year-old roof needing replacement! I haven't seen the RV in person, and probably will not.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
These roofs routinely last more than 20 years.
Other than checking it a couple of times a year (which you should do for ANY roof), there's no reason to give it a second thought.

flownaksala
Explorer
Explorer
The roof should last at least 10 years but check it twice a year for leaks. Climb up on the roof and walk around looking for soft spots and checking the seams for areas that may be leaking. My rook began leaking at about 12 years which I fixed quickly using the Eternabond tape. This stuff fixes it permanently. I went around all the seams with it. With all the maintenance required on an RV I always recommend using a good car maintenance program for your computer to remind you when things need to be checked or services. I use Automotive Wolf. www.automotivewolf.com which does a great job, is easy to use and also keeps a detailed vehicle maintenance log for you. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAlfPM9ZS9IxhIy-5vIJlGg

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Inspecting the rubber roof on our 2007 Coachmen TT, I found a hole evidently poked in it by a sharp object, which I patched with a strip of Eternabond. Otherwise, except for a bit of black staining, it seems solid to me. No leaks that I can find. (Evidently keeping the trailer under a tarp since the last camping trip saved me from water damage due to that hole.)

I certainly hope that roof replacement isn't a "normal maintenance item."

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Our 96 Southwind has the original rubber roof. Replacing it is not a normal maintenance item..
I would want to know why the roof was replaced. Check the RV for water damage.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Does the roof look replaced? A job well done? If so I would not worry about it. Maybe ask to see the receipt for a clue on what work was done and why. Some RV owners are a bit clueless and just follow dealer recommendations. Your judgement call if owner is hiding something but still the roof was replaced can't be all bad.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Not at all.
I traded in our 13 y/o RV and the roof still looked like new. He's lying to you.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
they should last a lot longer that 6 years, maybe if a tree branch has damaged it i could see replacing maybe part of it ...