Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running generator while traveling

Gamecock7483
Explorer
Explorer
I am new to traveling with a Class A Motorhome. My questions -
1. is there any problem running the generator and Air Conditioner unit while traveling.
2. should the generator be shut down when pull in to fill up with gas?

Many thanks
17 REPLIES 17

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
When you're fueling there will be gas fumes in the air which 'could' cause a fire if under the right conditions, I suppose. It's no big deal just to turn everything off, especially things with open flames.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
dave17352 wrote:
Effy wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I run my genset when the temps get over 90* when traveling down the Hwy. And to your second question you don't want any type of motor running when your fueling. In fact you don't want to use your cell phone when fueling do to static electricity and fuel fumes a bad combination.

Sorry I just don't get the "don't run your motor while fueling". Other than the obvious inconvenience of carbon monoxide, millions of people pull up to pumps and pull away from pumps daily with their vehicles running, stopping, starting, running again, running through and continually running. Millions. And not a one blowing up because of it.

Interesting. I almost never see people fuel up with their gas engines running. I do see some diesels do so though.

that's not what I said. they pull up to the pumps with their engines running, shut off, start the engine and pull away with it running, and people pull through the pumps while driving. I am just curious what the hazard is, if at any given time an engine is running around pumps? I am not advocating letting it run at all - so don't mistake my meaning. I just don't get the doom and gloom about the hazard if you do. Obviously it's inconsiderate, but I am not sure an explosion hazard is really present. If that were the case we'd all have to drift into the station with engines off and push them away before starting.
2013 ACE 29.2

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Gamecock7483 wrote:
Many thanks to both of you for the info. One more item: using the refrigerator on gas, I believe for safety that should be shut down when refueling as has a pilot light. Is this what is normally practiced? Thanks again
Mine stays on continuous.
I believe it would take a direct effort for something to happen.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
I run my genset when the temps get over 90* when traveling down the Hwy. And to your second question you don't want any type of motor running when your fueling. In fact you don't want to use your cell phone when fueling do to static electricity and fuel fumes a bad combination.

Sorry I just don't get the "don't run your motor while fueling". Other than the obvious inconvenience of carbon monoxide, millions of people pull up to pumps and pull away from pumps daily with their vehicles running, stopping, starting, running again, running through and continually running. Millions. And not a one blowing up because of it.

Interesting. I almost never see people fuel up with their gas engines running. I do see some diesels do so though.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:

2013 ACE 29.2

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, run it while on the road. You bought a MH for all the conveniences it offers, so use them.

I don't shut my gen down when fueling if it's real hot and I need the ac to keep running. When I pull up to the pumps the gen is usually sticking out way beyond the fuel island as my gen is in the front and fuel fill is in the rear. But if you do turn your gen off, make sure your fridge is set to off or ac only or it will try and spark ignite as soon as the coach loses power from shutting the gen down. Nothing like striking a match next to a fuel pump.
2013 ACE 29.2

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Just came home from Toronto to BC, ran the gen set all the way, 115 degree's in Iowa and the Dakota's and Yes you need the extra air conditioning.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you haven't been told, the fuel pick up tube for the generator does not go to the bottom of your fuel tank like the pick up tube for your engine. Most are designed to only draw down to a quarter tank so that you don't run out of fuel while camping.

So.....if you intend to run your generator while driving, you need to keep your fuel tank above a 1/4 full, or the generator will stop.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
...Running the generator and A/C is no problem. It doesn't hurt anything...

Agree, that's why it's there.
2014 American Eagle

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since you said gas, not diesel then yes turn them off. Would help if you added your rig to your signature or even mentioned it in one of your 16 posts. I do not turn off while getting diesel at the truck... diesel only islands.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run your generator and AC while driving, turn off generator and propane appliances when refueling. Happy Trails!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Running the generator and A/C is no problem. It doesn't hurt anything.

I shut off the propane when refueling. Some do, some don't. The chance of causing a fire is very small. But, I feel there's no point taking unnecessary chances.
It's simple to turn the propane off.

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Gamecock7483 wrote:
Many thanks to both of you for the info. One more item: using the refrigerator on gas, I believe for safety that should be shut down when refueling as has a pilot light. Is this what is normally practiced? Thanks again

YES!