cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV For Dog Rescue Charity

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
I run a dog rescue transport charity where I bring dogs from high kill shelters to shelter in other states where they will more readily find homes. I usually rent a van, but I thought purchasing a used class C RV would be more convenient since many of my trips are long distance (I don't like smuggling in 10+ dogs into hotel rooms!)

My problem is, I have no idea how to shop for one. Is there a basic list of things to look for? Diesel vs Gas; Used vs New; Recommended manufacturers, etc.

This RV will have approximately 5 to 6 trips per year. At least one trip per year will be a cross country trip.

Any help would be appreciated. (And, so far, no one will give me a discount for being a charity)
21 REPLIES 21

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
RENT the van for your trips. Mileage is tax deductible and maybe so is fuel costs..??? Maintenance is on the shoulders of the rental company so you arent in the whole at all for that.
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
Thank Earl. I actually was looking for a Class C with bunks, but they are hard to find. My plan is to remove the mattress from the bed and put crates on that. I would tie them down with ropes and bungee cords.

My other questions are: how do you get a TV signal, WIFI and do you think solar panels are worth the expense? And lastly, after you plug in the RV, how long can you go without powering it up again?

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
the need to keep an infrequently needed motorized truck vehicle in ready-to-go shape, not to mention all appliances like AC and generator, as well as preventing leaks and sun damage will take a LOT of effort, time, and money. just look at all the problems discussed in these forums.

so the horse trailer w/ sleeper would be easier to upkeeo, but it needs a truck and you are not close to pups

you said a rental van has worked so far, and this would be easiest cost-effective way to continue, except for those overnighters...

sportsmobile in CA or TX can and does convert a used van into a dog transporter w/ a generator, AC, and likely a bed. this van should be much easier to drive/own/maintain

http://sportsmobile.com/mobile-dogs/
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Another idea is to get a Class C with bunks, designed for hauling kids. Then pull the bunks out and put the crates there. Or even better, leave the bunks and take out the mattresses and attach the crates to the beds. Should be plenty of room for small crates. Make sure you have a built in generator and you are good to go.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know if the links will work but if you can copy paste into new browser it may work.

$19.5k
http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Power-RVz-2977082/listing/1996-Four-Winds-MAGESTIC-TOY-RUNNER-118309378

$33k
http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2002-Thor-Motor-Coach-FOUR-WINDS-FUN-MOVER-119120468

Class C toy haulers with generators. These type may work well for your situation, many more out there for many budgets!

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Eight dogs in crates, in a Class C.........

Yes, I'm the ignorant one.

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a certified veterinary assistant and involved in animal rescue since 1981. So, yes, I have a clue. All the dogs would be in crates and the most I would transport would be eight total--all small dogs. I wanted advice on purchasing an RV, not a commentary on how "ignorant" I am.

The tone of your post clearly indicates you are the ignorant one. And no, I will most certainly not take your advice.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, then maybe, just maybe, you're just woefully ignorant about what animals, dogs, horses, whatever, do on the road and how much stowage you have for that load of 'gold' in a motorhome.

If you just load them in without kennel crates a typical Class C motorhome might carry 10 or 12 dogs, but neither you nor they will be very happy about it.

Please don't feel you have to take my advice on this. I've only been hauling dogs and horses for a little over 30 years, and owned and driven motorhomes for 20+ years, as my ex-wife would tell you, I'm often wrong.........

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
I did not take offensive to you "logic" but I do take offense to your latest comment. I don't put a monetary value on life. All animals are gold to me.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
susanmaria wrote:
And when I wrote, I want to keep an eye on the dogs, it was a figure of speech. I just want to be aware of what is going on in the vehicle, just like you would if you had children in your car and not your trunk.

I don't have children, per se.

I do however trailer MY 'children' that have 4 legs with hooves. They are not prize shelter dogs though, they are thoroughbreds and warmbloods worth $30k++++ each.

I'm sorry if I offended you with common sense and logic.

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all the information. And when I wrote, I want to keep an eye on the dogs, it was a figure of speech. I just want to be aware of what is going on in the vehicle, just like you would if you had children in your car and not your trunk.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
susanmaria wrote:
I run a dog rescue transport charity where I bring dogs from high kill shelters to shelter in other states where they will more readily find homes. I usually rent a van, but I thought purchasing a used class C RV would be more convenient since many of my trips are long distance (I don't like smuggling in 10+ dogs into hotel rooms!)

A few times a year I have people who use/borrow/hire my gooseneck horse trailer for exactly that. I have a 'regular' 3 horse trailer with living quarters that easily holds 20 of the largest kennel crates with a walkway up the middle. Best of all they are washable and easily sterilized afterwards so you don't have to drive down the road smelling the after effects of Fido's gastrointestinal issues resulting from the stress of the trip and everything else. Did I mention washable?

Plus there's plenty of storage for water tanks, food, etc, etc, etc.

Mine has CCTV so the people in the truck can watch what's going on back there. In some states riding in the trailer (although I'm not a fan of the idea) is legal, an attendant could ride with them to care for them.

Best of all you just need a volunteer with a heavy pickup a few times a year as opposed to an expensive chassis sitting around deteriorating most of the time.

Food for thought from someone who's been there and does that.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think a towed RV will work for you (TT or 5th wheel). You're going to need to be self contained to keep the climate controlled in the RV. There are 5th wheels that have a generator but, I wouldn't trust that for hours at a time with no checks and balances. I have seen people add generators to travel trailers but again, I would feel uncomfortable with that solution. The simple fix is a working generator and roof air in the same space that you're occupying. That way you know if something stops working and can take some kind of action. The RV generators, typically Onan, are well made and will last a very long time if serviced properly. My 1990 Dometic AC still blows ice cold.

Overnighting at a Walmart is doable as long as you plan your stops and be sure that the Walmart in question is cool with overnighting. Some of them won't allow it. Also, some campgrounds might accommodate you for a night as long as the neighbors aren't negatively impacted by barking dogs and poop.

We have been RVing with dogs since 1988. Never once have we had an issue. The key is to consider your neighbors peace and quiet. Get a couple of x-pens but, don't just put the dogs out there and forget them. If we intend to give the dogs a lot of outdoor time we leash them and go for a walk. Our pugs are indoor dogs so, a short walk around the campground and they are ready to chill out and watch some TV.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
susanmaria wrote:
I had no plans to go to campgrounds with these rescue dogs. I thought overnight in a Walmart parking lot would be a better idea. Don't all RV's come with generators? A cannot get a toy hauler because I don't own a large vehicle capable of towing. Also, I would want to be in the RV while I am driving to keep an eye on the dogs.

Also, all of these dogs would be small breed, Chihuahua type dogs. No aggressive breeds at all would be transported.

Not all RVs come with generators. Most motorhomes do, although there are occasional exceptions, while the majority of trailers do not. Some RV generators are propane powered, which can be a bit problematic for extended usage due to the relatively small propane tank sizes and the occasional difficulty in finding convenient propane fill stations. (Incidentally, the term RV encompasses both motorhomes and trailers, in case you didn't realize that already.)

There are a few class C toy haulers around, by the way.

Keeping an eye on anything other than the actual driving when operating an RV seems to me to be a dangerous idea. Driving a motorhome (or pulling a decent sized trailer) requires more attentiveness than driving a car or van, due to the larger dimensions (particularly width) and the greater stopping distances and overall limited maneuverability that require one to pay attention to things further on down the road.