cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV manuf ratings

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if there is a site that has the various ratings of the different RV's? Like a consumer reports type of thing. One guy this weekend told me that the various rv's we were looking at and rated them in his own way. We agree that there are some that look good but really are not and I would like to be able to do some more reviewing prior to purchase.

I have seen the questions here but as usual all responses reflect the bias of the responde to the brand they own. I would like to know coachmen vs gulf stream, vs TMC etc. The one guy told me that the lexington were a good but lower tier unit? I dont know, we looked at a new one and it was over $100K just like a winnebago so its really hard to tell.

Any help appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Eycom wrote:
lfcjasp wrote:
...you have to pay big bucks to get the info you want from RV Consumer Group.

Big bucks?? Membership will provide one with the ratings of new RVs in a particular class. Plus, used units dating back some 10-12 years are covered as well, long after those new brochures have flown off the shelves. Simply understand how the ratings are derived. While not the only source, RV Consumer Group is a valuable tool. $139 for membership is hardly big bucks in the overall cost of searching for and eventually owning a RV. That buys a tank of diesel for my dually.:)

Good point.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If you go with a name brand and select a model and floor plan that best suits your budget, ANTICIPATED NEEDS , and tastes, you will probably be reasonably happy with your choice. The real differences in housebox quality are in the builder's choice of materials, use of fasteners and adhesives, in-process quality controls and quality and speed of dealer after-sale warranty fixes of factory mistakes. Most motorhomes use same brands of generators, air conditioners, fridges, furnaces, water heaters and appliances. Most Class C's use same Ford E-450 van cutaway chassis, some prefer the Chevy alternative.

If you pay $10K more for a Lazy Daze, and keep it maintained and attractive, you can probably sell it quicker and for considerably more money than a lower priced name brand rig

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
lfcjasp wrote:
...you have to pay big bucks to get the info you want from RV Consumer Group.

Big bucks?? Membership will provide one with the ratings of new RVs in a particular class. Plus, used units dating back some 10-12 years are covered as well, long after those new brochures have flown off the shelves. Simply understand how the ratings are derived. While not the only source, RV Consumer Group is a valuable tool. $139 for membership is hardly big bucks in the overall cost of searching for and eventually owning a RV. That buys a tank of diesel for my dually.:)
RVn Full-time

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
RV Mechanic is kind of in line with RV Consumer Group...Four Winds Thor in pretty much average...not horrible, but not top of the line. The ratings of RV Mechanic didn't really surprise me. And those ratings are FREE...you have to pay big bucks to get the info you want from RV Consumer Group.

One thing I've noticed with most ratings is that you can get people to complain about the lemons they bought more than the people happy with their purchase...JMHO. The happy ones are too busy enjoying their purchase I guess???

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would be hard to do, first you'd have to separate them into the different classes, A,B,C, TC, TT, PU & what ever, then you'd have to separate the different levels, entry, mid, luxury, & so on. Only then could you begin to compare each in it's Class, level & so on.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is one that likely is very biased, but it does reflect what the owners think of the unit they bought. RV Mechanic.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Eycom
Explorer
Explorer
RV Consumer Group. Some folks don't see much value in their evaluations. However, 20+ years in the industry is indicative that many do. JD Gallant's bias has been cussed and discussed for many years. But they're still publishing today.
RVn Full-time