cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV propane water heater

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
Which is more efficient, cost effective during the winter (Charleston, SC so seldom below 40-50) keep the propane heater going to maintain water temp or only turn it on when we shower? We heal mosts all other water in our kettle.
25 REPLIES 25

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
balfre1946 wrote:
OK this has gotten very confusing with replies, for which we are grateful, getting of the topic. It is not about money it is about not having to unhook the RV and drive it out to get propane then drive it back..back in our permanent site and rehook ..we LIVE in our RV, we are not traveling. We use microwave or ELECTRIC water kettle. We also use hot plates and toaster ovens. In 4 years we have never used the RV oven once and now never use the RV stove top. Just curious for the shower whether to keep the propaae heating ( it is now in the 40s at night) or just 15 minutes before a shower.

Do you have a water heater that is both electric and gas? If so then just turn off your propane since you obviously are worried about how much the water heater is going to use and heat the water with electricity which is provided on most RV parks. This should not be such a big issue. And if you have a water heater that is just gas then I would just let it start automatically as needed. Water heaters are pretty well insulated to retain the heat for several hours
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Propane last longer when you don't use it.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will use more propane keeping the water heater on, maintaining temperature, than you will by turning it on a few minutes before the shower and then off afterwards.

You use less electricity by turning your toaster oven on when you want to cook a pizza and off afterwards, rather than leaving it preheated all the time. It's the same idea for the water heater, just a different fuel and a different thing that's being heated.

tahiti16
Explorer
Explorer
If we are using propane for the water heater we turn it on 15-20 minutes before hot water is needed. If using electric we leave it on, especially if temps expected near freezing.
Ray, Cheryl & of course Miss Molly the four-legged child

2006 Dolphin 36' F53 V10 5 speed auto 2 slides 7.5 KW genset

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
OK this has gotten very confusing with replies, for which we are grateful, getting of the topic. It is not about money it is about not having to unhook the RV and drive it out to get propane then drive it back..back in our permanent site and rehook ..we LIVE in our RV, we are not traveling. We use microwave or ELECTRIC water kettle. We also use hot plates and toaster ovens. In 4 years we have never used the RV oven once and now never use the RV stove top. Just curious for the shower whether to keep the propaae heating ( it is now in the 40s at night) or just 15 minutes before a shower.

sjholt
Explorer
Explorer
I keep seeing that big hole up thru the center of the propane water heater and wonder why I should leave it on all the time. It seems to me that it would loose heat rather fast on a cold day.
So I only turn it on when needed.
Skip
1996 32' Monaco Windsor DP
Cummins 5.9L 230+ HP
5 Airbags in front- 4 in back

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
balfre1946 wrote:
We only use our propane water heater for showers, we are settled in to an RV park for the winter and would rather not have to move to get propane..we don't have an electric option for the water heater. We never use our water heater for ANYTHING else than showers, we are a 2010 Fleetwood Fiesta 34b gas.

Whether you heat water via water heater or in a kettle on stove top....you are using propane and will have to refill propane.

Settled into an rv park for winter......check with local bulk propane dealer about having a 100# cylinder set up and them refilling from one of their delivery trucks.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Very seldom do we use the propane to warm up water on the water heater. Since we have the option of using AC heating element, that is what we use most of the time. The only time I use the propane to heat up water is if I am dry camping. I just turn on the switch and it will shut down when the temperature reaches a certain temperature. Not like if it was using propane all the time. It only uses it at times to maintain a certain temperature.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you're only using it for two showers once a day, then light it when you need it. No sense heating water that you don't want heated.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

balfre1946
Explorer
Explorer
We only use our propane water heater for showers, we are settled in to an RV park for the winter and would rather not have to move to get propane..we don't have an electric option for the water heater. We never use our water heater for ANYTHING else than showers, we are a 2010 Fleetwood Fiesta 34b gas.

jswat
Explorer
Explorer
We have the propane/electric WH and I seldom turn the gas heater on. Our electric WH usually provides enough hot water for DW and me. This is the only WH I've ever had i an RV that works this way, on my previous RVs I had to run the gas heater when camping.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
20 mins of heating every 3-4 hrs. OR 30 mins of heating prior to use????

Another way to look at it:

Having hot water whenever you want it? OR waiting 20 - 30 minutes to get that hot water?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RV water heaters refire at roughly 110*F and then shut off at 140*F....they can cycle every 3-4 hrs for 20 mins. when not being used.

OR you can turn it ON 30 mins before you want hot water

Personally.....ours is on when we set up until we tear down for travel.
I want hot water when I turn faucet on damn the pennies spent. But that is personal choice.

20 mins of heating every 3-4 hrs. OR 30 mins of heating prior to use????

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
DSDP Don wrote:
I think several missed what the poster was asking.

He's asking is it more efficient to let his water heater run all day, which means it will come on every so often to maintain temp, or turn it on just before his shower and then off when he is done.

Personally, I think it would be more efficient to leave it running. They are well insulated and will hold heat for quite awhile.

You would actually be thinking wrongly, although it may not be enough of a difference to really notice one way or the other.

The heat loss from the water heater when not using hot water is basically just the heat loss through the insulation. This is proportional to the difference in temperature between the hot water and the surroundings. If you let the water cool down, the average temperature difference is lower, and so the amount of heat that is lost for a period of time is lower. Assuming you start and end at the same condition (i.e. the tank is full of hot water ready for use), the energy (propane) you put into the water to heat it must be equal to the energy it loses to the outside world.

This basic theory also explains why it is more efficient to turn your house thermostat down (or up in summer) when you leave and return it to the desired temperature when you return, rather than keeping the temperature constant.

The water heater is probably more efficient at heating water than the stovetop. However, if you only need a few cups of water for coffee, the stovetop will use less propane because you're heating a few cups (less efficiently) rather than a few gallons.