cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Security

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was over on the Technology subject looking for some advice on putting a security camera in my storage unit. While doing research I discovered a product that I did not know existed, but if it works as advertised it would make a really good security system for your motorhome. It's a wireless security camera that works directly on the cellular network. It's made by Arlo and is called the Arlo go. Looks like it will work with several different providers.

I ordered mine directly from Verizon and it will be added to my already existing Verizon account. I don't have it yet, so I'll have to report on it when I get it. But it comes with motion detection and two-way communication and you can log on and view it live from your smart phone. It will also send your smart phone an alert if the motion detector is triggered. So it can be used in your motorhome at your campsite to monitor things while you're away. You just have to have LTE coverage at the campsite.

I plan on using mine inside my storage unit where I have power. But I'll bring the camera along for camping trips so we can monitor the motorhome while were away from it. They say the battery lasts up to 45 days so you could even use this if your motorhome is in storage at a lot without power. Just buy and extra battery and go down once a month and swap the removable battery.

Thought I'd pass this info along as this appears to be a great solution for security of your RV. I'll let you know if it really works as advertised when I get it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

45 REPLIES 45

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
My SIL has a couple of the ARLO cameras at his house. Not only does it have a microphone, but his also has a speaker; he can actually both hear and talk to someone at the location through his cell phone. Pretty cool.

The one I have can do that too. I was amazed at how sensitive the mike is. I can turn it on and hear people in the unit behind my unit talking through the metal wall. I can even hear birds chirping outside of the unit.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My SIL has a couple of the ARLO cameras at his house. Not only does it have a microphone, but his also has a speaker; he can actually both hear and talk to someone at the location through his cell phone. Pretty cool.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN, sounds like you got better battery life than me, at least on my first charge. Overall I'm happy with the camera. The data-use is not that much at all, especially where I have it, so it works good for me. Another feature of it I just discovered is you can set a geo-fence to turn it off and on. What that does is basically when my cell phone gets within a certain distance of the camera, then the camera won't detect motion or send an alert. I haven't turned it on yet, but I will. What that will do is when I'm at the motorhome it won't be sending alerts with photos of me, and I won't have to turn it off and on in the app as it's automatic. This feature will also be handy when using it inside the motorhome while camping as it will turn off and on automatically as you come and go from the motorhome. If you have one inside your house this would be nice so it's only recording when you aren't home.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

path1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Ok, a couple wanted a report back on this. When I first got the camera I put it on the charger overnight. They advertise 45 days of battery life, but the battery was dead in two weeks exactly. I'm not too concerned about that, as it was the first charge and the camera is in a metal warehouse where the outdoor temps have been over 100 degrees most of the month. So maybe a combination of heat and the first charge caused it to die faster. And I did check it farily often playing with it so that probably didn't help. Anyway, I have power there so now it's plugged in and will stay plugged in. I'll only use it on battery when I take it camping and use it for security in the motorhome. So I won't be able to report back on battery life as it will always be plugged in when I leave it for any length of time.

On data use, in two weeks it used exactly .089 GB of data. In looking at the charts, on each day the camera was working and I did not view the video, it checks in with the cell network every six hours. Each check in used between .00001 and .00003 GB of data. So when it's not being triggered by motion or me checking in on it, it's barely using any data and even when checking in on it it hardly uses anything.

Thanks for update. They seem to be working out for you.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
This was taken with my Arlo Go in my shop building that has no windows or sky lights. Totally dark in building.

While in the shop for 18 days I had 550 hits on the Arlo. All hits were on the SD card and average about 1 meg per 10 second video.

Data usage on my Verizon account for the 550 hits and numerous live views which are not recorded on the SD I used .75 gig of Verizon data.

After the 18 days and 550 recordings the battery was at 25 percent.

So far I am happy with the performance of the Arlo Go.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well if recording to the cloud isn't secure enough for you, you should quit using the Internet! And if somebody actually would care to hack into the video somehow, more power to them. They will see my motorhome in storage. They won't know where, but they would see it. And I already posted a photo of it on here.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
From their website: "Arlo cameras record video to the cloud every time motion or activity is detected. "

Where is their cloud storage... China?

Doesn't sound so secure to me....
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, a couple wanted a report back on this. When I first got the camera I put it on the charger overnight. They advertise 45 days of battery life, but the battery was dead in two weeks exactly. I'm not too concerned about that, as it was the first charge and the camera is in a metal warehouse where the outdoor temps have been over 100 degrees most of the month. So maybe a combination of heat and the first charge caused it to die faster. And I did check it farily often playing with it so that probably didn't help. Anyway, I have power there so now it's plugged in and will stay plugged in. I'll only use it on battery when I take it camping and use it for security in the motorhome. So I won't be able to report back on battery life as it will always be plugged in when I leave it for any length of time.

On data use, in two weeks it used exactly .089 GB of data. In looking at the charts, on each day the camera was working and I did not view the video, it checks in with the cell network every six hours. Each check in used between .00001 and .00003 GB of data. So when it's not being triggered by motion or me checking in on it, it's barely using any data and even when checking in on it it hardly uses anything.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is the photo sent by the camera. The light in there is just from sky lights, the interior lights are off. The camera is about 40 feet back into the unit from where you see the electrician opening the roll up door. So the motion detector triggered from almost 40 feet away.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got my first alert from Arlo camera today. I was expecting it as the owner of the place is letting an electrician into my unit to install a 50 amp plug. So I got the alert and was able to open the camera and see it was the electrician. Another thing it did that I didn't realize it was going to do, was the email it also sent had a very nice HD quality still photo attached of what set the alarm off. So I really didn't even need to log onto the camera I could have just opened the email and looked at the photo.

I think what I was most impressed with is the microphone on the camera. It seems to pick up everything. I can even hear the birds outside the storage unit singing!

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I won't argue the economics, but you mentioned if you had unlimited cell data you would use a lower cost camera setup. With the $20/mo Mobley and Connected Car plan, you would have exactly that, unlimited 4G/LTE. And with the capacity to use four other devices with it.

I didn't say that. I specifically said the opposite. One of the main things I like about this camera is the ability to eliminate the wifi portion of the setup. One less thing to go wrong. The camera talks directly to the cell tower and I can turn it off and on remotely and do a reset remotely. So the little extra in equipment cost is well worth it to me, and the fact I only pay $5 a month versus $20 a month makes it even more worth it. If I want a mobile hotspot for something my iPhone and iPad both have that capability. And if I want unlimited data Verizon has that capability too, but I don't use the data I have so no reason to pay more for data I won't use.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
At least other folks reading this thread "RV Security" have enough information and know the RV Security can be VERY AFFORDABLE.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I won't argue the economics, but you mentioned if you had unlimited cell data you would use a lower cost camera setup. With the $20/mo Mobley and Connected Car plan, you would have exactly that, unlimited 4G/LTE. And with the capacity to use four other devices with it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, makes sense as that is a good use for it. I'm heading to my storage facility tomorrow to put the camera there. I'm just hoping it gets good cell coverage inside the metal building.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4