cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Steps

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kwikee steps go in when I shut to door and out when I open the door when the key is off. I know they should stay out when the key is off and go in and out when the key is on.

I have a step switch on the wall inside and the steps will not stay out when the key is off no matter what position the switch is in.

It is something that just started. Ideas? Arnold
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime
10 REPLIES 10

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Arnold et al, here is a link to Manual #875 for Kwikee steps from prior to 2002. There is an older manual and a #888 also but I think this is what you need and it really isn't much different that the others.

There is a couple of changes from before 1999 and when they sold the business. The door magnetic switch and the programming of the modual to include the last stop feature and #888 really covers all of them as far as trouble shooting.

If you have the normally closed magnetic door switch system(you should) this is what you need, if you have the normally open magnetic door switch you need #888. PM me and I'll post a link if I can find it again or the manual as an attachment.

David
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we stop, after everything off we open the door and steps go out. We then turn the switch to "on" before closing the door. We then can close the door and the steps stay out. They will automatically go in even if switch is left on when the motorhome is started with the key. We still need to re-do this process the next time for them to stay out and not go in and out with the door.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. You have 4 wires to the step quick connect
2. RED and WHITE should have 12 volt power when the inside wall switch is ON (you have a 1999 model RV). Turning the wall switch OFF kills the power to the step to keep it out.
3. The BROWN does NOT factor in this problem
4. The YELLOW is from the Ignition override. CHECK to make sure that wire is DEAD(no 12 volt) when the KEY is OFF. IF NOT, then that is your problem.
5, Have you done ANY work on the steps recently? (Changed any step parts). Doug

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the step connector? Is that down under at the steps or at the switch on the wall? I will check at the wall switch.
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
I believe it is the white wire on the step connector must have 12v feed to keep steps out (Kwikee web site should list it) with your extend switch on do you have 12v there
2009 Challenger

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dougrainer, Thanks for the tip on the fuses. Found them both and they are okay (good) Still same problem with steps.

I checked Kwikee website and it does not address this problem. I disconnected the switch on the wall and no change. Any more hints?

Ernest, thanks for responding and you are correct in that since I had battery problems many things have happened. But thanks to that, I have learned where all the fuses are, how to test them, what they control and fixed my battery drain. So lots of good has come from my battery problem. Arnold
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
I've been surprised by all your recent electrical posts. In looking at your most recent history "posts" it appears that there has been some damage done when replacing your ignition switch and battery's. I would review your grounds and connections as it "appears" you're blowing lots of fuses.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There is a separate fuse for the manual wall ON /OFF switch. Usually a 5 amp. FIND that fuse for the wall step switch. IF that circuit is DEAD, the steps operate as you describe. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
Is the foot (parking brake) brake on? Push it. There are interlocks all over these RVs.....

No RV step is connected thru the parking brake. Doug

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Is the foot (parking brake) brake on? Push it. There are interlocks all over these RVs.....