Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV trip to NH, VT, ME

mjaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I am new to this site. I am writing to ask for your help to plan a week long RV trip with my family (wife and two children, 12 and 9 yrs old) in NH, VT and ME national parks and scenic costal roads. We did a similar trip in west coast from WA to CA on highway 1 and parks along the way and loved it. I know east coast is a bit less suited for this kind of trip but I am hoping with your guidance, I can put together a nice itinerary. Thank you in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

anchorspace
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Bar Harbor and I agree, you could spend easily a whole week in Bar Harbor (if you enjoy hiking, etc.). What I like about here is you can go on small hikes (great for kids). The Island Explorer bus stops at all the campgrounds and the best way to see that schedule is the Acadia app (iPhone and Android) from Chimani (it's free too).

So give Bar Harbor a week. Trust me between getting on a boat (whale watch, Diver Ed cruise, etc.), hiking, eating good food, and maybe doing a few historic/educational things, you'll be busy for a week easily.

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
5Mainecampers wrote:

Rt 302 heads west out of N. Conway/ Glenn to Montpelier Vermont; or back up to Rt 2 and head west to Montpelier where you can see the Green Mountains and Burlington-- I have stayed at a very nice state park right on Lake Champlain just north of Burlington.

I think the campground you're referring to is North Beach, which is actually a City of Burlington park. It is nice (the beach especially), and unlike the state parks it has hookups available in the campground.

Ooh, on my list to look into! Thanks!
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

KristinU
Explorer
Explorer
Check out our blog in my signature, as well as the links to our older blogs form our previous campers. We live in CT and often go north. VT state parks are our favorite, but be aware that none of the state or national parks up here have hookups. So we tend to try to hit them in the spring and fall when we know we can get by with 12v fans rather than A/C.

How old are your kids? In NH you might want to check out Moose Hillock (there is now one in NY as well, but NH was first) - great combination of state park-ish size sites with an awesome themed pool with waterslides in the White Mountains. We also like the Chocorua KOA in NH.

For Acadia we like Smuggler's Notch, a private CG that borders some of teh NP land on the quieter side of Mount Desert Island.

In VT we have yet to hit a state park we haven't liked. We've had some really prime waterfront sites, but some of those need to be booked well in advance. We really like Woodford State Park near Bennington (and you can hit the Battle of Bennington monument and hike a section of the AT), The Burlington area is very cool and we stayed at Little River SP to explore that area. Ben & Jerry's is up in that area as well as the Shelburne museum, which is cool.
Cheers!
Kristin
2008 Winnebago Chalet 31C
My camping party: me, DH, DS, and 2 DK9s
Our Blog: www.winnieadventures.blogspot.com

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
5Mainecampers wrote:

Rt 302 heads west out of N. Conway/ Glenn to Montpelier Vermont; or back up to Rt 2 and head west to Montpelier where you can see the Green Mountains and Burlington-- I have stayed at a very nice state park right on Lake Champlain just north of Burlington.

I think the campground you're referring to is North Beach, which is actually a City of Burlington park. It is nice (the beach especially), and unlike the state parks it has hookups available in the campground.

Oldcow
Explorer
Explorer
5Mainecampers wrote:
1 week is not enough for the entire 'tri-state' region:

Drive Rt 1 up the coast to Bar Harbor-- Camden State Park woul be perfect stop over.

Depending upon your route-- after Bar Harbor head west to Rt 2 into White Mountains then down Rt 16 thru Pinkam Notch into North Conway-- we have camped at Green Meadow in Glenn--- quiet/family campground.

Have a great trip--- We love Northern New England in the summer!!

+ 1

Saco River Campground in North Conway is great and very central for that region.

http://sacorivercampingarea.com/

Oldcow
2013 Outback 300RB TT
2010 Tundra

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
watching
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you like NP's and scenic rides I wood camp in the Green Mtns of Vt. then head over to Rt 112 going through NH and camp in any number of NF CG along the Kancamagus hwy. Many hikes from 20 mins to a climb to Mt Washington or Mt Chorcorua. Lots of tax free shopping in No. Conway. Then head to Arcadia NP in Maine. Seawall CG will be easier to get a site during the week than Blackwoods. I like it better because it is along the coast.

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
We are from NH and Maine and I can tell you we have devoted 1 week each summer plus many many weekends and overnights---- 1 week is not enough for the entire 'tri-state' region:
Old Orchard Beach: big hit with kids-- amusement rides at the board walk-- fireworks every Thursday night are a big hit. Trolley runs to many of the campgrounds- won't need a car. Powder Horn is where we usually stay--.5 mile from the beach; Old Orchard is a 1.5 hr drive for us and we do a Thur - Sun weekend every year.
Bar Harbor- aka Acadia National Park--- A MUST-- KOA Oceanside is where we have stayed- they are on the Shuttle bus route- so you won't need your car- which goes thru out the national park.

Drive Rt 1 up the coast to Bar Harbor-- Camden State Park woul be perfect stop over.

Depending upon your route-- after Bar Harbor head west to Rt 2 into White Mountains then down Rt 16 thru Pinkam Notch into North Conway-- we have camped at Green Meadow in Glenn--- quiet/family campground.

Have a great trip--- We love Northern New England in the summer!!

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There aren't very many coastal roads in Vermont...:W Even along Lake Champlain they're a bit limited.

What size of RV are you taking? Do you have a toad (if applicable)?

Smuggler's notch in Vermont (Route 108 between Stowe and ...) is a wonderful drive and has some fun stops and short (and not so short) hiking trails. Don't try to take your RV over the notch unless perhaps it's a truck camper or maybe a tiny trailer. Large/long vehicles semi-regularly get stuck wedged between the rocks attempting to go through the pass. There is a state park campground on the Stowe side that has a few sites that can accommodate RVs (of moderate size).

Mt. Ascutney state park is nice, too, and the views etc. from the top of the mountain are great if it's clear. There is a road to the top, besides several hiking trails. (The campground is near the base of the mountain.) The top of the mountain really is quite fun to explore.

Camel's Hump is a fine day hike; I usually do it at least a couple of times a year, partly because a trailhead is close to my home. The Huntington (west) side trailhead isn't really accessible to an RV, at least not pleasantly; I'm not sure about the Duxbury side offhand. From the Huntington side, going up and down the Burrows trail is easiest, while making a loop via the Forest City trail, the Long trail, and the Burrows trail is somewhat longer and more challenging but offers some additional lovely views. On a clear day, from the top of Camel's Hump, you can see an incredible panorama: Mt Washington and some of the other presidentials are visible to the east, Lake Champlain to the west (and the mountains of New York beyond), Killington and more to the south (including Ascutney), and Mt Mansfield etc. to the north. This is a quite popular day hike, and certainly within the ability of (many) 9 year olds.

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
In Maine ...

Mount Desert Island for real Lobsta, NOT imitations like big crayfish!

And Acadia National Park.

In NH ...

Take the Cog Railway or one of the Stages to the summit of Mount Washington. Carry warm clothes just in case.

If you have a suitable toad drive up the auto road to the summit.
And, do not ignore the BRAKE pullouts! Save your brakes going downhill. Use lower gears.

You'll know when it's time to save brakes.

Spend time exploring and adventuring and less time at a static campsite.

JMHO ๐Ÿ™‚
Ray

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
We've camped at the Queechie/Pine Valley KOA twice and like it. I know some on here don't like KOA but the owners/managers are nice and it's a pretty wooded campground. Best thing is its location and usefulness as a hub to tour the area. It's in Central VT near the NH border. Will you have a toad? From Queechie, Woodstock and Sugar Bush farms is basically local. Stowe is only a couple hours north. Played disc golf on a mountain course in Killington. Picked blue berries in NH.

I have brochures but haven't camped in NH or ME. Harold Parker State Forest is a beautiful wooded area with lakes north of Boston, not far from NH. I haven't camped there but hiked on day trip. You can find info online about camping.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We really like the Old Orchard Beach area, but stayed in a private park, Ne're Family Beach Campground or something similarly named. Right in town, so no driving, 3 blocks from the ocean, but you are on a hill and can see the ocean, across the street from a lobster pound.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW