cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rv water heater turning on then shutting off

Amygisme
Explorer
Explorer
Our rv water heater wont stay on and we are having the worst time trying to fix it. We literally live in it right now. We cleaned all dirt and debris out. Press button inside and it turns on stays on about 30 seconds and shuts off. Dont know where reset button is or how to check the panel. It was bought used it's an Atwood system in hurricane rv non electric option propane only. Plz help.
5 REPLIES 5

ronfisherman
Good replies.
OP also posted in Tech Issues.
Closing this thread.
Can see other post here.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good tip bobndot.

- Disconnect your house battery
- Remove each electrical connection
- Clean the spade portion with 000 or 0000 steel wool
- Using your breath, blow away any loose steel wool fragments and corrosion dust
- If the mate slips over the spade loosely, gently squeeze it with a pliers so that it slips over the spade with resistance.

The thermal couple might also need a cleaning using the same method.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If that does not help then it could a lot of things and you have to try things one at a time. Here is the link from rvnet and one of the posters includes the troubleshooting guide.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25649912/print/true.cfm

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I copied a post from another person having the same issue.
It worked for me as well when my Atwood did the exact same thing. Also, using electrical contact cleaner would be a good idea.

Update: After talking to you guys, I went out and removed the wires going to the circuit board. There was a green wire which was ground, a red wire coming through the top of the heater and another red wire going to the igniter. I pushed them on and of 3 or 4 times on each pin hoping to clean them. I then lit the burner. It stayed on for about 3 or 4 minutes. Longer than before. So I did it again except this time I connected them on and off for probably 15 times. It appears now the heater is working. I moved the thermostat towards warmer and it clicked and the burner shut off and the pilot stayed lit. I then moved the thermostat to the hotter side and it started. Hopefully my problem was just corrosion of the terminals.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
Amygisme wrote:
Our rv water heater wont stay on and we are having the worst time trying to fix it. We literally live in it right now. We cleaned all dirt and debris out. Press button inside and it turns on stays on about 30 seconds and shuts off. Dont know where reset button is or how to check the panel. It was bought used it's an Atwood system in hurricane rv non electric option propane only. Plz help.

Do all of your other propane appliances work properly? Stove, furnace, fridge?
That might give a clue as to if you have a propane issue (air in line, bad regulator etc) or a water heater issue.