cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAFEST way to get on roof...OEM ladder or extension ladder?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to install a 3 Max Air II vent covers, inspect roof and caulking around vents, and add caulking if necessary. I want to wash roof but feel better washing roof with a long handle brush from my A frame ladder....moving ladder all the way around the RV one section at a time.

I need to know what is the best and SAFEST method for getting up on the roof of my 31' Class C. It has an alum roof.

I purchased an adjustable extension ladder (up to 17') from Harbor Freight (Vulcan heavy duty ladder...similar to Little Giant) to use with my last 5th wheel, as the OEM ladder appeared weathered, old, and not too robust. I would place extension ladder along rear right side and against roof, extending pass roof by about 1 foot.

My new to me Class C has an OEM ladder that appears much more substantial than the one on my previous 5er (see pic below). It uses heavy rivets to attach to rear wall and roof.

Can you share your tips for the SAFEST way to get on and off roof.

My BIG anxiety is when I step onto roof from ladder and when I step off roof onto ladder.

Thanks!

2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
28 REPLIES 28

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't trust my oem ladder to much over 200lb.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used the OEM ladder. I go up several times a year for caulking, repairing, cleaning and just inspecting the roof. Never had a problem.

Edit: I weigh 160 lb, plus clothing.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Wayne67vert
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust the factory ladder. I had one break on my previous 5th wheel while holding 2 bikes.
I'm 215 lbs and don't feel safe on the flimsy ladder. I use a 12 foot tall A frame ladder.
2002 Holiday Rambler Atlantis 24 ft, 67 Mustang convertible, 38 Chevy farm truck

Rolin
Explorer
Explorer
That looks like a good set up with the two ladders together.

I feel pretty secure using the ladder that came with motorhome. Have used it many times. Doing inspections, washing the roof, replacing the TV antenna. Tried to clean the air conditioner but couldn't get the cover off. Even waxed the roof as it had gotten a bit oxidized (its a fiberglass roof). I was very very careful after waxing (hands and knees ;-).

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the (fiberglass?) roof moulding sufficiently strong to take the localized force of the extension ladder? The curved transition area on my motorhome has a little sticker under the built-in ladder that says "Do not step here" and with good reason; it's little more than Filon bent to shape with little if any structure underneath. Obviously you have a different construction on your motorhome.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
The pics below illustrate where I placed my ladder. I will attach a rope from extension ladder to RV ladder so that extension ladder can not move. The extension ladder is MUCH stronger than the factory mounted ladder.

Thoughts on how and where I have ladder placed for climbing on roof?

Equal-i-zer 10K

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
The attached ladder won't slide on the ground or fall over sideways. If it's in good shape, I'd think it would tend to be a little safer than an extension ladder leaned against the RV. For maintenance at home, I use it to get on the roof partly for those reasons and partly because it's convenient when I need it.

When camping I see no reason to carry a ladder with me to get on the roof when I have one already attached to my motorhome. The space and weight can better be used for other things I probably don't need. It's surprisingly common to want to get on the roof for some reason or another when camping; I made excursions there in my last camping trip to apply awning repair tape (which had been mouldering on the todo list for a little too long, truth be told), to sweep off pine needles, and to remove a stick I noticed up there when stopped at a shopping center on the way home. As best as I could tell it must have come off a tree while at the campground and sat on the roof for a good many miles; I was actually rather glad it hadn't flown off and bonked someone else's windshield.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The SAFEST way is to pay someone to do the job.

I use the attached ladder to get on the roof. When working around the edge, I set up a couple sections of scaffold.
If it's just a small area, I use a 8' step ladder.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
53yo, 6' tall, and 265#. Agile, and plenty of energy. I can afford to have them installed, but I enjoy to do most things myself.

Like I mentioned....I did it about 6mos ago on my last 5er.
Equal-i-zer 10K

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Two things about having a shop do the work.

If there is a workplace injury? It's them, not you.

If there is an issue with workmanship? It's them, not you.

If you are a young guy? You'll heal over time, from that broken whatever. If you aren't young? You don't get all better. Ask me about my broken leg from the ladder fall 1.5 years ago. I am 65+ and it will never get 'like new'.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Whichever you feel most comfortable with. In my case neither. I might be able to get on the roof, but need a firetruck and two rescue types to get me off. Well established fact is that I do not do well on roofs of any type.

You sound almost like me. I did buy a 10' step ladder for the purpose. Could have gone 12 feet. But I agree, whatever you feel comfortable with.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have no trouble with the OEM ladder, but I also have a rail on the roof. Probably depends on your weight too.

One of the safest ways I know of is to park the RV close enough to the house, get on the house roof then walk onto the RV roof.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How's your budget? How agile are you? How's your balance? How old?. Should you really be up on the roof?
We have a local RV shop that would gladly install the cover at no risk to you, I mean me.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Whichever you feel most comfortable with. In my case neither. I might be able to get on the roof, but need a firetruck and two rescue types to get me off. Well established fact is that I do not do well on roofs of any type.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.