cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Saying Goodbye

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
I have read these posts for I can't tell you how many years, under three different account names. I even used to post/respond, but quit when I kept getting slammed! I probably deserved it as I am far from the sharpest tool in the shed.

After much thought we have decided to no longer RV. Our dream that was 10 years in the making has come to an end after about 2 years. We have some wonderful memories but time to try something else. So, the RV was sold this past Saturday. I cried as it drove away.

Best of luck to all of you and hope you have a wonderful and happy 2014! Thanks for all the help and advice over the years. Travel safe!!
31 REPLIES 31

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
We have been jumped many times and that is staying at the highest end, most expensive parks we could find (mostly trying to find paved roads to minimize dust, etc.). I have a pet therapy dog and this causes HUGE problems with getting him recertified if he is continually threatened by other dogs. He is also my service dog. I pick up my dog and yell and scream at these dogs and all the owners do is say "I'm sorry". Like I said....much was my fault. I am probably the most anal person on the planet and expect perfection from myself and everyone else. I get just as disappointed in myself as I do most everyone else!
You know what also irks me? Just yesterday I was going to walk in the sand for exercise, then saw a man walking his dog out there. Yep, you guessed it. Needless to say, I'm walking the cement path from now on ๐Ÿ˜„ Dogs on leashes. Guess a lot of people have never heard of this lol You will be missed, so you should stick around ๐Ÿ™‚ Happy New Year!!
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

SuzzeeeQ2012
Explorer
Explorer
BUTCHPHI wrote:
I have travelled for 14 years in a motorhome (8 of them full time)(127000 + miles), have stayed in more than 600 different rv parks for anywhere for a day to a few weeks and I have never had a dog jump on me, hmmm. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

Just had one jump on me yesterday lol We were talking to our "neighbors" at Glamis. The dog came right over and jumped.

IN any case, the owner stopped him, so it was ok..not a big deal.
1997 HR Endeavor Turbo Diesel

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
BUTCHPHI wrote:
Devonm2012 - once again I have an opportunity to learn humbleness. When I made my comment about dogs it never occurred to me that you might also have a dog with you (I never did have a dog to walk with)and that would definitely change the dynamics greatly. Had I considered that angle I would not have commented at all because I could understand that the possibility of dogs jumping on or at you goes way up. Good luck with whatever future decisions you make.

No problem at all. I completely understand. Happy New Year to you and your family ~ I wish you much success.

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer
Devonm2012 - once again I have an opportunity to learn humbleness. When I made my comment about dogs it never occurred to me that you might also have a dog with you (I never did have a dog to walk with)and that would definitely change the dynamics greatly. Had I considered that angle I would not have commented at all because I could understand that the possibility of dogs jumping on or at you goes way up. Good luck with whatever future decisions you make.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
My rig would have claw marks on it as it was driving away! Lots of posters leave then come back later. Hope to see your posts on here later down the road! When I post I research to get factually information after getting roasted one time here! Good luck to you in the future.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
You are right about the dogs. Friends of ours just had their dog picked off the ground by a much larger dog on a lease. The person was walking three dogs and could not handle them all.

For some odd reason when people go into weekend parks they leave a lot of their good manners behind at their S&B house. Must be the attitude that they will never meet these people again, and they are paying to enjoy themselves so full speed ahead.

I think you will find snowbirding completely different. In these parks it is much more community related. All the things you were looking for in the beginning you should find. Come join the rest of us snow birds, we would love to have you as a member.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

royl
Explorer
Explorer
This life is suitable for some and not for others. I personally enjoy it and have had none of the problems you mentioned. I won't say it won't ever happen, but it hasn't yet. Sounds like you have made a good decision in your case. Good luck with your new life and please stick around and join in the conversations. Have a Happy New Year and we hope it works out good for you.
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Have fun out there.

Devonm2012
Explorer
Explorer
BUTCHPHI wrote:
I have travelled for 14 years in a motorhome (8 of them full time)(127000 + miles), have stayed in more than 600 different rv parks for anywhere for a day to a few weeks and I have never had a dog jump on me, hmmm. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL.

We have been jumped many times and that is staying at the highest end, most expensive parks we could find (mostly trying to find paved roads to minimize dust, etc.). I have a pet therapy dog and this causes HUGE problems with getting him recertified if he is continually threatened by other dogs. He is also my service dog. I pick up my dog and yell and scream at these dogs and all the owners do is say "I'm sorry". Like I said....much was my fault. I am probably the most anal person on the planet and expect perfection from myself and everyone else. I get just as disappointed in myself as I do most everyone else!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone asked why we are stopping RVing. Primarily because we don't have much of any family left and thought we would develop strong family ties with other RVers. We have met AMAZING people but they have families and lives elsewhere. So, we have a great time for a few days/weeks, etc., then they pack up and move or we do. We do enjoy getting out and sightseeing, and have seen some amazing things, but find ourselves getting bored and lonely quite often. That is the biggest reason. Others close to the top have been bad parks (dusty, camp fires (I have horrible allergies to dust and smoke), tree issues, not level, can't wash, we have been jumped by dogs off leash more times than I can count, rude staff if I ask for assistance due to allergies), complete disregard for most rules and can't find decent parks close to what little family we have and many times not close to where we want to go. Much was my fault because I OBSESSED constantly about the RV since we wanted it to last forever looking brand new. Not realistic. We will take a few years off and then probably buy something else ~ I could see a Class C, Class B or maybe even a 5th wheel. We LOVED our old Class C and I didn't give much of any of the aforementioned issues any thought because it was not our home. I could see being snowbirds some day to avoid bad winters, probably staying in one park most/all of a given season.

Your entire paragraph sounds to me like your expectations were unrealistic. When you come back to RVing it will likely be with more realistic expecatations of RV parks, RV park staff, fellow campers, dogs, etc. I have never since 1986 when I started RVing had somebody elses dog jump on me. If you stay in one park for a season you will make friends and most likely will come back again and again and see many of them each year. Many RVers look forward to the season when they can reconnect with RV friends made in years past. It does work if you work the system.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear that RVing did not go as you had hoped. At least you did get to give it a try and nice that you were able to sell it. We hope to hear from you in the future. We all hope that you find something that you can really enjoy and make lots of new friends. Good luck and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

BUTCHPHI
Explorer
Explorer

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't give up on posting. You just might have the answer to someones problem when no one else does. You are still part of the family.

Happy New Year

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck.
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179