cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schrader Valve Extension Problem

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 E450 rear duals have a braided flexible valve extenders.

The problem is one of the braids has been cut by a sharp edge in the wheel cover and we are basically on the road.

So, while I want to replace these extensions with Tire Man or Borg rigid type it is not in the cards until we get on home turf.

So my question is, are these braided flexible extenders pressured up all the time OR only when the outer valve is pushed in?

If they are pressured up all the time then my only remedy on the raod is going to be to remove them. The tire is NOT LEAKING as it presently sits BUT I do not know how much damage there is beyound the frayed braid outer layer.
23 REPLIES 23

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good news, Harvard! Glad you can cruise home with peace of mind.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
DUNEBUGGYDOUG wrote:
Harvard, those look like.they into a bracket on the center cap like mine do

They each have a "stand off" bracket that anchors to a lug nut.

Lesson here is to make sure they do not come in contact with any sharp edges. I can just imagine the rotational g-forces they are subjected to while going down the highway at 60-70 MPH.

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
Harvard, those look like.they into a bracket on the center cap like mine do

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Kudos to Big O Tires in Bullhead City, AZ, they removed the valve extensions for me and only charged $20.00. And, yes they did need to pull the wheels, gave the young fellow $5 for doing the job with me watching over his shoulder.

And, yes these particular extensions (see photo) are pressured up all the time.

Budster
Explorer
Explorer
you can mail order solid extenders that replace your stock stems from Tire-Man in Ridgecrest, CA He includes detailed instructions that any credible tire shop can follow and do the installation. These were the first mods I did when I got my MH.
ymmv,
Jerry
2000 Lazy Daze 30' IB

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I have a solid chrome dually valve kit available for half price.
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
Don't now why you guys are going thru all that stuff.
Read http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27471104/gotomsg/27471233.cfm#27471233

Biggest hassle for me now is getting the air compressor out.

Thanks for the input. I like your method and I will be able to see with my own eyes once I get onto home turf. Only so much one can do in a campground while on the road (as in, snow birding in AZ).

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't now why you guys are going thru all that stuff.
Read http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27471104/gotomsg/27471233.cfm#27471233

Biggest hassle for me now is getting the air compressor out.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
Since your tire is holding air with the cut extender, I would say your extender does not hold pressure.

-Michael

OP here. The braided shield is clearly cut through on one side (the hidden side) but I cannot ascertain the state of the inner tubing. The damaged area is basically inaccessible for further examination until I remove the extender.

My intention is to have a tire shop remove the extenders and I will deal with their replacement when I am on home turf.

DUNEBUGGYDOUG
Explorer
Explorer
I have the flexible hose extenders and have had no problem what so ever.Mine has two brackets on the center for for the hoses to fit in ,no movement at all

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Our Motorhome came with braided extenders. They worked fine up until last year. The curb side extender gives me trouble every once in awhile. When that happens, I just pull the wheel cover, unscrew the extender, blow some compressed air through it and put it back on. Generally it works after that. Some times I have to blow air through it a few times. We'll be ready for new tires soon, so I'm just waiting until then to replace with rigid type extenders.

Fortunately, I don't have to do anything special to get the extender off, other than remove the wheel cover and the little clip that holds the extender in place. My extenders do not hold pressure.

Since your tire is holding air with the cut extender, I would say your extender does not hold pressure.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

pnwham
Explorer
Explorer
My motorhome originally had rubber valve stems, so I did not want to leave extenders on all the time. As a result, what I did was to remove the valve cap from the inner wheels and put an extender on each time I checked and/or filled the tire. I could easily do this even with the wheel simulators left on. I was always worried about dirt getting in to the valve, but it was never a problem. After I had metal valve stems put on, I left the extenders on. They were the type that did not have air in all the time.

Rich - Waiting for my new Montana HC 293RK

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvard wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

A follow up question:

Can these extenders be removed WITHOUT removing the (dual) wheels?

I was able to remove mine by crawling under the motorhome and reaching in between the duals with a very "small" pair of vice grips.
I was able to clamp the vice grips on the threaded connector and turn it a little ways, then clamp and turn it again. It took several turns, but I didn't have to go to a shop and have the wheel removed.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

OldRadios
Explorer
Explorer
I just got rid of my wheel covers. They don't do anything but get in the way.
2006 Fleetwood 26Q
2010 Harley Softail Toad
2015 Ford Focus Toad
Upstate (the other) New York