cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SeeLevel tank sensors

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
A year or so ago, I replaced the standard through the wall tank sensors in my Monaco DP with a SeeLevel 709 system.

And I was very happy with it, until a couple months ago when my wet bay was getting kinda ripe, and I decided to spray in there with some 409 and hose it down.

It don't smell so bad anymore, but the SeeLevel system no longer works.
The fresh water, gray, and black sensors are all kaput.

I called them today (twice) and after near an hour on the phone, they could not find any record of me ever ordering the system, said cleaning with 409 probably killed them, and insisted that the warrantee was one year, period (and I'd have to prove that) and the best they would do is sell me 3 new sensors at retail plus shipping, for a total cost of more than the 709 system cost in the first place.

I said NO.

If anyone is aware of an external aftermarket tank monitor system that is both reliable and guaranteed, please point me in their direction.
Not a chance in hell I'm paying full boat to replace this system after less than 2 years 😞

RVgauge.com get an F MINUS in customer service, as well as in quality.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog
11 REPLIES 11

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:
dkreuzen wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Since the sensors are just pieces of metal foil attached to the side of the tank with adhesive I don't see how 409 could harm them.

I would look for some residue that might act as a high resistance path between them and confuse the control panel.

SeeLevel says on their web site that if the tank walls get cruddy enough the system will stop indicating so maybe a high resistance path in the wrong place can also cause it to stop working.

The sensors are not foil, they are thin printed circuit boards. But I don't see how come cleaner would kill them.

Aren't they (the thin boards)covered with copper foil?

The ones I put on my last HM about 4 years ago were not and the set I just bought are not either. If you put foil tape over these you would stand a good chance of shorting them out.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

adondo
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Seelevel system for years as well. (Including a 2nd display/control unit in my "wet bay")

Having worked on 2-way radios (police/fire/etc.) for 35 years, I can say that getting ANY electronics wet will cause corrosion and failure. In fact, our policy here is when a radio or device comes in with corrosion damage of any kind, WE DO NOT WORK ON IT. Even if cleaned and the corrosion removed, problems (a.k.a. "gremlins") continue long afterwards and can be a plague forever.

You'll notice cell phone suppliers also exempt water damaged phones. Drop one in the washer? Most companies will just sell you a new one rather than repair it. Most cells have a device inside that melts when wet, and as soon as a tech opens it and see that, it's game over.

I don't use Formula 409, but I know that Greased Lightning (my favorite degreaser) has a high lye content, which is why it works so well. That and other agents in the cleaner will only accelerate the corrosion process on an electronic device.

The Seelevel circuit boards have other circuitry besides the sensing strips (tiny SMD IC's and the like) and that's why they've failed. Even if you can clean the corrosion using DeOx or other product, they will be problematic from here on, so just REPLACE the sensors.
FMCA# F355513. 40 foot Safari Continental, one slide, Cat powered Magnum Blue Max chassis, PAC brake PRXB, Allison MD3060, Aqua-Hot, 7.5 KW Quiet Diesel, Howard PCS, Velvet Ride suspension. 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
dkreuzen wrote:
Clay L wrote:
Since the sensors are just pieces of metal foil attached to the side of the tank with adhesive I don't see how 409 could harm them.

I would look for some residue that might act as a high resistance path between them and confuse the control panel.

SeeLevel says on their web site that if the tank walls get cruddy enough the system will stop indicating so maybe a high resistance path in the wrong place can also cause it to stop working.

The sensors are not foil, they are thin printed circuit boards. But I don't see how come cleaner would kill them.

Aren't they (the thin boards)covered with copper foil?
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Clay L wrote:

Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I know there is nothing better.

And I know what I will end up doing is first some troubleshooting to determine if the problem is one sensor, 2, or all three. Probably just the fresh water, it's giving the worst readings, and is physically the lowest of the three.

It's been many months, so I don't think drying out will be my answer.

I wish I had better access.
I wish Garnet would have met me even close to half way, I'd happily paid a hundred plus the shipping to go in there once, replace all 3 in an hour, and be done with it.

And yea, they were fine until I had the audacity to clean my WET bay...

I did find a site selling the 12" sensors for $54, half what garnet sells the 14" for...
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Simply put there is nothing on the market that is as good as the SeeLevel system. Mine has been working flawlessly for more than five years. Unfortunately I think you're going to have to come to the realization that they were ruined by your cleaning method.

Since you already have the monitor/monitors and wiring installed, I would suggest to just bite the bullet and purchase new tank sensors, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I know this isn't what you want to hear right now, but it really is the best way for you to move forward.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
Put a small wattage bulb (if you can find one now days) near them and let them dry out for a couple of days and see if that helps. It may not work but it's easy to do and may work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
That's funny. You destroyed the system with 409 and water now blame the company. Go figure. It's a great system. Admit your error and fix it. Simple.

Exactly, they are supposed to stay dry and safe on the external side of the tank. I guess we all make mistakes and sometimes we have to pay one way or the other for that mistake. I know of no other system that works as well as see-level gauges.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
That's funny. You destroyed the system with 409 and water now blame the company. Go figure. It's a great system. Admit your error and fix it. Simple.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I installed my SeeLevel sensors in 2008, I knew the location could subject them to damage from items stored in the same bays. To minimize that possibility, I covered them with Eternabond tape. They've worked perfectly ever since...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate